Did the 5T have an outdoor contrast boost pre 8.1 update?

1. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 20, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 20, 2018 :
    Hey guys!

I just noticed that when the display is viewed directly under sunlight, even if it's already at max brightness (and even if you manually set up the brightness to max). when it detects there is direct sunlight hitting the sensor, the contrast is boosted in a very noticable way. Makes everything look artificial but makes it way more visible.

Also, this does not work in the Homescreen, only if you have certain apps open. I tried it with YouTube and chrome. but it doesn't work with this community app for example.

Has anyone noticed this behaviour before? I googled and found nothing. And we only had the sun strong enough in Germany these past 2 weeks, but today is the first time I ever noticed this.
    Samsung had a similar contrast boosting (outdoor mode) in their S8 also.

Easiest way to see is to open YouTube or chrome and drop the notification shade then point it towards the sun for a moment, then turn it away, you'll notice it going light grey instead of dark.

Thanks

Akeshma likes this.
  2. G_Mario_Fitzpatrick_XUNZ
    Honeycomb Apr 20, 2018

G_Mario_Fitzpatrick_XUNZ , Apr 20, 2018 :
    I've experienced it but I'm not sure how to trigger it. I've been walking outside in the sun many times and it didn't turn on but one time I was in the car and the sun was shining through the side window directly on the phone and it did it. wish it activated more regularly.. especially when you actually need it.

3. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Apr 20, 2018

stark2991_PL , Apr 20, 2018 :
    I didn't notice it yet although I was looking for it. But this was there all the time and it's called "Sunlight Display". OnePlus mentioned about it during the release event.
    May I ask what calibration profile do you use? I'm not sure if it works on every profile.

4. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 20, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 20, 2018 :
    Interesting, for me it's activating whenever it's at a 90 degrees angle with the sun.

I never knew of this, and as I said, we had no direct sun for the last 5 months in which I had the phone xD

but no, it works and works rather well! at least from what I saw today. but not in all apps as I said, so far I tested chrome and YouTube

5. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 20, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 20, 2018 :
    Standard Profile.

stark2991_PL likes this.
  6. G_Mario_Fitzpatrick_XUNZ
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2018

G_Mario_Fitzpatrick_XUNZ , Apr 22, 2018 :
    Interesting. hmm maybe it's app specific? I think I was in Google maps when it happened. I went to swipe down my notification shade to turn on location services and noticed that the whole thing looked light grey with bright blues. That was the first and only time I've seen it do that. Most others when I'm outside I'm mostly in WhatsApp ..trying my best to see what's on screen.

Ed_88 likes this.
  7. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 22, 2018 :
    Haven't tested WhatsApp, but the Oneplus community app doesn't activate it for example.
    so yeah it is a per app feature.