Did you purchase On-Guard by Assurant in Canada?

?

Did you purchase On-Guard by Assurant in Canada?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2016.
  1. Yes

21.4%
  2. No

78.6%
  3. Used it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jcespite
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2016

Jcespite , Jun 28, 2016 :
    Hi Everyone, I'm just curious, did you purchase the insurance for your phone and have you every used it and can you share your experience? I've never purchased for any of my electronics, iPods, iTouches, iPads, desktops/computers except for my MacBook Pro retina..

Thanks..

2. 6cmh3
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2016

6cmh3 , Jun 28, 2016 :
    i did because when i had my oneplus one i shattered the screen and dropped it into water so the repairs ended up costing more than the drop guard protection i just got now. First time buying insurance for a phone so i have no experince lol

3. grobbins
    Eclair Jun 28, 2016

grobbins , Jun 28, 2016 :
    I didn't my last phone was going on 4 years old so I don't see it as something I have to worry about to much.

4. Espada04
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2016

Espada04 , Jun 28, 2016 :
    Never had a need to buy extra warranty for this kind of protection. If I was paranoid. I'd get the Otterbox case and be done with it. Though *knock on wood* Never shattered the screen before. Always had the glass protector on my phones and I am very careful with my phones. I also change it at least once a year. lol

srlawren likes this.
  5. Professorchaos1
    Honeycomb Jun 28, 2016

Professorchaos1 , Jun 28, 2016 :
    No but I can understand why some people would.

The OnGuard 12 is useless, don't get that. No accidental coverage.

For OnGuard 18/24, for OP3, the cost per replacement is CAD $95 as per the Insurance Agreement. Add the original cost of $85 ($110 for 24 months) for 18 months is already. $180+Applicable Taxes for 1 screen replacement for accidental damage.

I live in the GTA so the mobile repair shops are plenty. OP2 screen replacement was about $140. So given that, unless you plan on breaking your screen more than once in 18 months, then by all means get the Accidental Insurance.

Another thing as per the terms, "This Plan is not transferable to any other person or product, unless the product is a replacement under this Plan." So if you are considering selling the phone, the insurance will be void for the new purchaser.

For me, I've only ever broken one screen and that was actually my friend dropping my Moto X while using it...not me (which sucked.) But I have a friend that has broken her iPhone 6S screen twice already in a year but she bought AppleCare so it was worth it for her because she's clumsy...

srlawren likes this.
  6. Pedro120
    Gingerbread Jun 28, 2016

Pedro120 , Jun 28, 2016 :
    Although I have never broken a screen on a device knock on wood. I still didn't get insurance. For me insurance for these never made sense. I'll just roll the dice and hopefully nothing happens. I know it's a risk but if I don't break my phone I save money.

7. Deactivated User
    Jul 1, 2016

8. cssoz
    Honeycomb Jul 5, 2016

9. cssoz
    Honeycomb Jul 5, 2016

cssoz , Jul 5, 2016 :
    yup i rather pay $95+ (two claims is max) taxes after paying $125 (total) for 2 year coverage than having to go thr repair shops.

for me this is like buying car insurance, you never know. i never had damage coverage before but having to pay another $600 - $1000 if i break the phone in a bad way. that would cost me more than just $125+107 (95 +HST)