Didn't do my repair AND sent a different model as a replacement all together?

1. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

PlacidDawn , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Hi,

Last month, I sent in my 7T Pro McLaren Edition to the service center, because the screen had this black blob on the side and the bottom half of the AMOLED was just flashing neon green. Sometimes the phone wouldn't turn on at all, just flash that color and die.

I send it in to OnePlus Canada service center, and they take about 3 weeks to process my device instead of 48 hours like on the website. This is already a little bit sus, but whatever, they found the issue. However, instead of replacing the screen, they said they had to replace the ENTIRE MOTHERBOARD, and didn't specify what exactly was broken about it.

They told me that since I purchased the phone from China, it was a Chinese version, which they say means that the warranty doesn't extend to where I am now. Fair enough, and they tell me that the bill will be $413.00 + tax. But here is where the problem starts. I give the OnePlus Support person a "go-ahead" for the procedure, and he lets me know the repair is under way. I wake up this morning, and I get a package from the service center. It was a new phone.

By this time literally all the code red alarms, smoke detectors, and bomb sirens in my head are going off. The reason was that they replaced the entire device for just a regular version of something, and did not even consult me on it. Ok, fine. Then I tentatively set it up, and...

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN

IT AIN'T EVEN THE SAME MODEL AS MINE

Not only did they not send me back my device + the repair I had requested plus approved, they sent me a generic version 7 Pro that has a different processor AND 4GB less RAM.

Now my question is, is this normal? Do these service centers just have the permission to yeet and delete my phone and send out some random replacement that is a downgrade from what I paid for? Beyond the fact that it isn't the McLaren Edition I shelled out extra moolah on, it isn't even from the same model cycle and doesn't even have the same specs. Please help :(

2. Matt 80
    Lollipop Oct 28, 2020

script, Liehjan, Bobbie63 and 2 others like this.
  3. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 28, 2020

SoniaB , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Hey there

Can you please confirm your Case ID and I will escalate?

Liehjan, Dresa91 and Bobbie63 like this.
  4. SoniaB

Matt 80, Dresa91 and Bobbie63 like this.
  5. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

Hi, which is my Case ID? Is it the Request Number on the "My Service Requests" page?

6. SoniaB

SoniaB , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Yes please.

7. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

8. SoniaB

SoniaB , Oct 28, 2020 :
    Thank you. I will escalate. Please do allow 24-48hrs for me to get a response. Escalation team are based in China and so I have to take timezones into account too.

9. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 28, 2020

Ok, thank you so much for your help!

SoniaB likes this.
  10. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 30, 2020

SoniaB , Oct 30, 2020 :
    @PlacidDawn were you at any point advised by CS agent that your 7TPro McLaren Edition could not be repaired and as a result they offered you a replacement, alternative OnePlus device?
    Did you agree to the replacement? Were you advised at all that it would be the 7Pro 8GB+256GB version?

I am checking back with CS over all this.

11. Amritashya
    Froyo Oct 30, 2020

12. giealcafaras15
    Cupcake Oct 30, 2020

giealcafaras15 , Oct 30, 2020 :
    I have a very similar issue but they were able to send me a Mclaren phone but with a different IMEI. I paid for a NEW SCREEN replacement since I had issues with the screen too due to liquid damage. I accepted my responsibility to pay for that damage and not being under warranty, but after the fix, they send me a different phone and I knew it because it came with a different IMEI and the front camera is making loud noise compare before the fix. I talked to customer service and she said that one reason for IMEI changed is motherboard replacement, but I don't think they have to replace my motherboard as it was a SCREEN issue and I know that my phone was working even the screen was black because it was connected to my smartwatch and was receiving notifications. I hope our issue will be resolved soon.

Amritashya likes this.
  13. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 31, 2020

PlacidDawn , Oct 31, 2020 :
    Hi, no, I was not told at ALL that it would be a replacement. In fact, my CS agent expressed VERY CLEARLY that the repair could be FULLY PERFORMED, and would go ahead the moment I gave them the "ok" to do so. I also agreed to the 413 dollar price tag for the repair even though my device is under warranty. I said yes, and the next morning I get sent this device for absolutely no reason, with 0 clarification at all.

I actually got a response from the CS person yesterday, and he told me that the 413 was for the device swap, which makes this situation even more ridiculous. They tell me they can do a repair once I agree to it, I agree to it, they then don't do it, and instead charge this insane price for a replacement phone that is hundreds of dollars cheaper - not even the same generation or specs - without ANY consultation with me.

Amritashya likes this.
  14. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 31, 2020

Absolutely it is. What's even more ironic is that the replacement device's battery decided to act up yesterday, displaying the "Low Battery" screen even at max charge, and I had to spend 2 hours resetting it over and over again until it finally worked - and guess what? When it turned on it indicated it still had 88% charge. Most absurd and insane tech support experience I ever had.

Amritashya likes this.
  15. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 31, 2020

Yeah I have my suspicions too about the motherboard thing, because my screen was the only thing acting up. It just came out the box with this weird black spot on the edge of the screen, and eventually it just developed into the AMOLED neon green seizure issue I had. I know for a fact that it was not my fault at all also because it never left my desk and therefore never had been through a single accident; I had another phone that I used as my daily driver because it did not die yet.

It seems odd that the motherboard has to be replaced, but I guess that's just how the tech center makes money. It is the only authorized repair center in Canada for OP, and has a terrible rating of 2.5 stars. 48 hour processing literally lasted 3 weeks, but maybe they measure time differently there. Honestly I can't make any absolute statements because I am not a professional in the field, but I know enough to be suspicious about this entire experience.

Amritashya likes this.
  16. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 31, 2020

I can also screenshot the entire email thread for you if you would like to have it for reference, please let me know

17. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 31, 2020

SoniaB , Oct 31, 2020 :
    This is why I asked you directly as to what CS advised and what you agreed on.

I explicitly stated in my escalation that you were advised a cost of repair not a swap and you expected a repair.

Escalation team advised me yesterday that they do not proceed with a repair or a "swap" as is the case here and that they would investigate with the CS agent concerned and advise further. That is why I replied here asking for clarification. So that ties in with the CS agent then calling you.

Can you please send it to me via PM (Private Message)? If you do upload direct to this thread, then can you ensure you blur our any personal information first (like email address/payment details) to ensure nothing data sensitive is published publicly.

Thank you

18. PlacidDawn
    Donut Oct 31, 2020

Thanks for the help, I apologize for the tone in my last reply, was just trying to emphasize a few things to make the situation extra clear in case I missed anything in my original post. Anyways, I am currently not home, but I can definitely PM you the emails tomorrow. Thanks again!

SoniaB likes this.
  19. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Oct 31, 2020

SoniaB , Oct 31, 2020 :
    Hey, no need to apologise to me.
    I feel angry on your behalf as well.

I have already followed up with CS.
    Pass along the email SS when you can. :)

20. Amritashya
    Froyo Nov 1, 2020

Amritashya , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Nov 1, 2020 :
    This is horrible ... Have to think twice before choosing OP again.