Difference between converted TMo 6T boot.img and International boot.img? via OnePlus 6T

1. Ondrej M.
    Donut Oct 22, 2019

Ondrej M. , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 22, 2019 :
    From what I understood while going through several threads on xda, the boot.img on the converted TMo phones is not the same as the one on the Int versions. So if that is true would it be possible to flash the Int boot.img for Android 10 and make it work without hiccups or am I wrong? Because there seems to be a major difference between even the Android P and 10 boot.img since the system partition is full and the TMo version is missing some folders and symlinks.

Would that work or am I wrong here?

2. Kytharsis
    Marshmallow Oct 22, 2019

Kytharsis , Oct 22, 2019 :
    Don't. People have been experiencing bootloops and "hardware/software mismatching" with the latest beta since T-Mo doesn't support A10 yet. Stick to Pie till T-Mo manages to catch up.

ironass likes this.
  3. Ondrej M.
    Donut Oct 22, 2019

I'm not on the TMo software though. I'm currently on converted and running beta17. I know the phone gets bricked when you flash the update using Local Upgrade. All's I'm saying is maybe the boot.img has something to do with this.

4. Kytharsis
    Marshmallow Oct 22, 2019

Kytharsis , Oct 22, 2019 :
    Maybe. Still though. Bootloops seem to happen so I'd err on the safe side and wait for an update.

ironass likes this.
  5. ironass
    Lollipop Oct 22, 2019

ironass , Oct 22, 2019 :
    It would seem that the culprit is T-Mobile's own mega locked down bootloader that is causing the issue on flashing the global Android 10. In the past, conversions from T-Mobile to the global version bypassed the T-Mobile bootloader and subsequent firmware updates on global Android Pie did not include a bootloader update. However, in the jump from Android Pie to 10, the global model needs a new bootloader and partitions that cannot be flashed on to the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant and any attempt to do so bricks the phone.

Some T-Mobile (USA) users have used a Decrypt payload.bin and Fastboot flash the non critical partitions workaround that whilst not perfect, allows most of the global Android 10 Open Beta to be run on the T-Mobile model. See...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80594251&postcount=3691

My feeling is that a workaround similar to the original conversion on Android Pie, will not be possible until T-Mobile (USA) launch their own ersatz version of Android 10 with their own new bootloader, etc:

drl431 likes this.
  6. Ondrej M.
    Donut Oct 22, 2019

So you're saying I can't flash the global bootloader over the TMo bootloader. Because that would eliminate this problem.

7. ironass
    Lollipop Oct 22, 2019

ironass , Oct 22, 2019 :
    It has never been possible, even on Android Pie, to replace the T-Mobile (USA) model's mega locked down bootloader.

8. ironass
    Lollipop Nov 2, 2019