44.8%
  2. No, too hard for me.

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 5, 2014

Majamulli , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Hey guys,

just wanted to share a riddle with you for those who like riddles. I had quite some problems with this and it took me a long time to solve. I hope those who already know the answer won't spoil it too soon, so that others can still try to figure it out. My english is not the best so I hope you can figure out what i mean even if there's some errors in the text.

50 indians get caught by cowboys. The cowboys want to give them a chance to live and tell them that the next morning they will have to stand in a circle and each indian get's a feather on head which is either red or white. It is random how many red or white feathers will be distributed. Then they will randomly be asked which feather they have on their head. If they get it right they may live and if they get it wrong they will be shot.

In the night they sit down and discuss a plan on how to save as many people as possible and in the end they come up with a way that will allow all of them to live except for the first person asked. He will have a 50/50 chance.

Of course they cannot give some kind of signal or something weird with their pronounciation or something like that. This is not a trick question and there is an actual solution.

Have fun :)

Edit: Here's some hints for those who want and need it.

After the person who gets asked first says a color, everyone else will immmediately know if they have a white or red feather on their head.

The color the first person says depends on what he sees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since people asked for a 2nd riddle, here's one. This is by far not as hard as the above, but not really easy either. Thanks to @indest for reminding me of this.

The King's Wise Men: The King called the three wisest men in the country to his court to decide who would become his new advisor. He placed a hat on each of their heads, such that each wise man could see all of the other hats, but none of them could see their own. Each hat was either white or blue. The king gave his word to the wise men that at least one of them was wearing a blue hat - in other words, there could be one, two, or three blue hats, but not zero. The king also announced that the contest would be fair to all three men. The wise men were also forbidden to speak to each other. The king declared that whichever man stood up first and announced the color of his own hat would become his new advisor. The wise men sat for a very long time before one stood up and correctly announced the answer. What did he say, and how did he work it out?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another one. This one could be as hard as the first one. Really not easy at all!

Josephine's Problem: In Josephine's Kingdom every woman has to pass a logic exam before being allowed to marry. Every married woman knows about the fidelity of every man in the Kingdom except for her own husband, and etiquette demands that no woman should tell another about the fidelity of her husband. Also, a gunshot fired in any house in the Kingdom will be heard in any other house. Queen Josephine announced that unfaithful men had been discovered in the Kingdom, and that any woman knowing her husband to be unfaithful was required to shoot him at midnight following the day after she discovered his infidelity. How did the wives manage this?

You have to read the whole riddle very carefully! Every word counts and you can miss something very very easily!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

2. Margoni
    Eclair Nov 5, 2014

3. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 5, 2014

alerton likes this.
  4. DeRijckeYordi
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

DeRijckeYordi , Nov 5, 2014 :
    A white feather keep his head colder since it doesn't absorb as much heat as a red feather?

Majamulli likes this.
  5. SizeOne
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

SizeOne , Nov 5, 2014 :
    The first indian calls out the colour feather of the second, and so on.

6. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 5, 2014

No sorry. I doubt they would be able to tell the difference... :p

That wouldn't work.

Margoni likes this.
  7. Margoni
    Eclair Nov 5, 2014

Margoni , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Then they all die

8. harrop.ch
    Gingerbread Nov 5, 2014

carlfrantz likes this.
  9. SizeOne
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

SizeOne , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Good point, I missed the part where they would be randomly asked.

10. Deactivated User
    Nov 5, 2014

11. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2014

StuartTonkin , Nov 5, 2014 :
    You state that it is the answer the Native Indian speaks which is the trigger ( pun intended) for the bullet or not.. The trigger isn't the colour of the feather each Indian chooses. So the first says either white or red and either lives or dies.. If he or she says red and lives 49 other say red and live.. If the first days red and dies.. 49 others say white when asked..

Majamulli likes this.
  12. SizeOne
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

SizeOne , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Also a good spot. Well done. Right, rethink.

Hiruzen likes this.
  13. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 5, 2014

No, not sure how you got to this. Perhaps my english just isn't good enough. But they really have to say the colour of the feather on their head or they will be shot.

StuartTonkin likes this.
  14. equliser11
    Froyo Nov 5, 2014

equliser11 , Nov 5, 2014 :
    They're called out randomly so the current victim can't know whom to warn.

Carbonshock likes this.
  15. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 5, 2014

Sorry if it's insensitive. But i would never say that this is easy. Either you know the answer already from a similar riddle or you got it wrong. I doubt anyone who knows the correct answer would call this an easy one. o_O

16. SizeOne
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

SizeOne , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Post 9 mate. But thank you.

17. Rahuvich
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

18. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Nov 5, 2014

StuartTonkin , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Ok round 2

All choose white feather.

First dude says white lives. They all live.

Alternate.

First dude says white. Bang.

Othets

Cut open hand stain white feathers red with blood 49 live.

19. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 5, 2014

I must have typed something in my original post that allows for something like this to be interpreted. I am sorry for that. I will try to clarify.

They each get a red or a white feather on their head and they have no way of seeing their own feather. They may not touch it nor do anything else. The only thing they are allowed to do while they stand in the circle is to say red or white when they are asked. If they get the right colour, then they are allowed to live and if they say the wrong then they will be shot.

20. DeRijckeYordi
    Honeycomb Nov 5, 2014

DeRijckeYordi , Nov 5, 2014 :
    Hard one...
    PM me the answer?