30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. No, too hard for me.

37 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. paulus93
    Froyo Nov 17, 2014

paulus93 , Nov 17, 2014 :
    Been trying to figure this out for about half an hour and I still got nothing!! I'll give myself another hour or so. This is really a thinker!

2. paulus93
    Froyo Nov 17, 2014

Does the first Indian have to answer immediately after being asked?
    Do they get to watch while the cowboys distribute the feathers?

3. go for.android13
    Jelly Bean Nov 17, 2014

go for.android13 , Nov 17, 2014 :
    Wow I have heard a similarly made riddle and I can't remember the solution fΠ©k me should have paid better attention in high school like 18 years ago haha but I did learn how to use Google in all that time wasted when everyone else still used AOL on net 10 dial up

paulus93 likes this.
  4. paulus93
    Froyo Nov 17, 2014

genocide? well, that escalated quickly.....unless the OP failed to mention that the hypothetical cowboys were working towards wiping the hypothetical Indians off the face of the hypothetical planet.. then that would definitely be hypothetical genocide!! hard to say.

Chunxisme likes this.
  5. markjg
    KitKat Nov 17, 2014

markjg , Nov 17, 2014 :
    Native Americans can't do math you damn saudi.

6. Chunxisme
    Eclair Nov 17, 2014

Chunxisme , Nov 17, 2014 :
    Hadn't thought that that was the answer, quite brilliant.
    Great post. :D

EDIT:
    Looked over this again, and I have a suggestion.
    Hint 1: "After the first Indian answers, each subsequent Indian asked will know the colour of their feather." - As opposed to how I interpreted the hint, meaning "EVERYONE ELSE" (at that point) immediately knows their feather colour.

Edit above. - Totally more complicated than that of the solution. - My bad.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

paulus93 likes this.
  7. iusethemouse
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 17, 2014

8. paulus93
    Froyo Nov 17, 2014

I gave up after reading the 2 hints. I thought I had it at first! I was making it more complicated than it should be.. great riddle, man. :)

9. sundevil
    Honeycomb Nov 17, 2014

erregist likes this.
  10. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 17, 2014

Majamulli , Nov 17, 2014 :
    I am not sure if you get what i mean or i don't get what you mean.

What i wanted to say is that no further thinking is required after the first color is announced. At the point of saying white or red every other indian will know their color immediately. If i wrote it like you suggested it could imply that once the second indian was asked, they have to rethink about their color and judge again.

While this approach is clearly impossible once you think about it, it still is an approach that many think about it at first. That's why i wrote the hint like that. If i took your suggestion i fear it might bring more people to think in a wrong direction.

Hope i understood what you mean and that you got what i mean as well.

11. Chunxisme
    Eclair Nov 17, 2014

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

12. Chunxisme
    Eclair Nov 17, 2014

Chunxisme , Nov 17, 2014 :
    OH! You are absolutely right. I do understand completely now. - I was thinking it was an incremental process which I thought would work, but I get your solution now. Much simpler!

13. Maibenrai
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2014

Maibenrai , Nov 17, 2014 :
    How can they know own color from the number of reds and whites? They have random position on the circle, so next indian could be red or with. More chance to be red but not. And all feathers could be red or white. Or how about 1 red and 49 white "It is random how many red or white feathers will be distributed." RANDOM is the keyword.

14. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 17, 2014

That's why it's a riddle but there is a solution. Even with 1 red and 49 white or any other number of feathers. As soon as the first person announced their color, the others will know their own, while it does not matter how many of which exist. Any combination works just fine :)

And since everyone will immediately know what color they have, it doesn't matter in which order they are asked. That can be totally random for all they care.

15. Maibenrai
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2014

Maibenrai , Nov 17, 2014 :
    How do they know. "As soon as the first person announced their color, the others will know their own" That is impossible. There is no location data in the number of reds/whites.

16. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 17, 2014

This is a really hard riddle so don't expect to find an answer any time soon. They sit down for the night and think of a way to save as many as possible and come up with an answer that allows all of them to live except for the first one asked who has a 50/50 chance.

It does indeed seem impossible but there is an answer!

17. Maibenrai
    Gingerbread Nov 17, 2014

18. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 17, 2014

Hehe, good job finding that, didn't even know this existed. I also wrote the answer in this thread :)

See, it's awesome isn't it? You think it's totally undoable but once you see the answer it's amazing.

19. thesonics
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 17, 2014

thesonics , Nov 17, 2014 :
    Oh since they are standing in circle each can count all the other feathers by color and deduce what color he has.

20. Majamulli
    KitKat Nov 17, 2014

So far, so good. But it is random how many feathers are distributed.