Disabling OIS on Oneplus phones via OnePlus 6

1. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

kshgarg , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Hi,

How do we disable Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) on Oneplus phones? This actually causes a blur in the image when using a tripod for long exposure photography. There is no point giving a 30 sec exposure option if the image has no chance of being sharp. An option to disable OIS would solve everything.

Thanks

2. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

Hi,

How do we disable Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) on Oneplus phones? This actually causes a blur in the image when using a tripod for long exposure photography. There is no point giving a 30 sec exposure option if the image has no chance of being sharp. An option to disable OIS would solve everything.

Thanks

3. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

Hi,

Thanks

4. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jul 12, 2020

BeingIncog , Jul 12, 2020 :
    don't create duplicate threads....

5. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Jul 12, 2020

pablofg1978 , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Thread merged, please do not create duplicate threads

6. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

Well this problem exists on all oneplus phones. That's why i posted it on the more active forums of oneplus 8 and 7t.

7. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

I am going to post this again on oneplus 8 forum. Oneplus 6 forum is old and less active. You can remove the post from oneplus 6 forum if you like.

8. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

Hi,

Thanks

9. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Jul 12, 2020

pablofg1978 , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Threads merged,
    Please read the forum rules
    https://forums.oneplus.com/help/terms

2.2. Choice of subforum
    Post your thread in the relevant subforum. Do not post several instances of the same thread in different subforums. Ask yourself "if I were looking for this thread, is this the first place I would try to find it?". For any non-update related issues you are facing with your device, please post in your device's "General Support" section. If you accidentally post in the wrong subforum, ask moderators to move the thread. Do not open a duplicate.

kshgarg likes this.
  10. Bhargavesque
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2020

Bhargavesque , via OnePlus 5T , Jul 12, 2020 :
    OIS is not a software feature, atleast for the most part. and there is no option to turn it off. if you want to suggest something as a feature, use the feedback section. Also, may I ask how you came to the conclusion that OIS is the reason for the blurring of your photos? Especially if you're using a tripod?

Roger.T likes this.
  11. kshgarg
    Gingerbread Jul 13, 2020

kshgarg , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Ois is a software feature. You can check this by disabling ois in filmic pro (which is a video shooting software) and looking at the camera while moving the phone around. Other brands have this feature. Also i have been requesting this as a feature from oneplus 2 days. Oneplus doesn't seem to care about of cameras. As far as how i know that ois is messing up everything, i have been a professional photographer for the past decade and i love shooting night sky.
    Anyway, i have given up on oneplus now. Should look elsewhere.

12. tide1109
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 13, 2020

tide1109 , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 13, 2020 :
    Optical Image Stabilization is a hardware feature that needs software to work.
    OIS can be disabled (in theory).
    The electronic holds the moving parts of the stabilizer in the center. The stabilization is now disabled.

Even on the traditional DSLR and DSLM camera you should disable the stabilization on a tripod. The moving parts (mirror, shutter and aperture) in this bigger camera could trick the sensors. This misinformation of the movement can cause blurriness in a picture.

Because of the less and smaller moving parts (only the focus) this issue could be less important.
    The OIS could cause this blurriness.

kshgarg and Bhargavesque like this.
  13. Bhargavesque
    Gingerbread Jul 13, 2020

Bhargavesque , via OnePlus 5T , Jul 13, 2020 :
    I guess you learn something new everyday. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.