[Discuss] Custom ROMs for the 7 and 7T-series

1. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

devourerOfBits80 , Mar 12, 2021 :
    The very sad days have come when we're seeing now clearly, how the OnePlus is an ineffectual and miserable company. From the several months, we still hear the same, that update comes soon, but unfortunately, all the OnePlus promises look like a dog's lying. Moreover, last few days, OnePlus showed all of us what is the quality of its software, when the stable version of the OxygenOS 11 for the Nord and also the H2OS 11 for the 7/7T devices has to be rolled back. Just in this place, this is a brilliant example, how the OnePlus' developers work, how the OnePlus' quality assurance engineers work, and finally how the OnePlus respects its customers, offering them corrupted software.

Today is a good time to start looking for alternative ROMs for our devices. I want to strongly emphasize here, that I'm not going to advertise anything, and I'm completely not related with any developers team that's working on the custom ROM. This topic is only for sharing the knowledge, how can we become independent to avoid installation of buggy firmware that OnePlus is providing to us.

After a small investigation, I discovered that the pretty good custom ROM, which's called CarbonROM, is available for 7/7T devices (unfortunately except for the 7T device) with version 8.0 that is based on the Android 11. The situation is extremely bizarre because OnePlus isn't able to develop a stock ROM for its devices, while the external developers have released a stable version of custom ROM with the pure Android 11! The one question just bothers me now... How the CarbonROM team has resolved all the issues which make the OnePlus unable to release the OxygenOS 11?!

In sum... If you know any other good custom ROMs for 7/7T, and you want to inform the community about it, this topic is just for you. I hope that this is also a good place to share the knowledge of how to unlock our devices, replace the recovery to TWRP, and so on.

Kind Regards,

alosh8118, SeniorGeek, ainy and 20 others like this.
  2. E1615274219932
    Cupcake Mar 12, 2021

Sam197 likes this.
  3. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Mar 12, 2021

Tokolozi , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Is it though? Custom ROMs have a history of being earlier on nearly all devices, don't need to get certified and can thus often push nightly builds to find and update bugs faster.

However, the best place to look for roms and users of them still is XDA:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/oneplus-7t-roms-kernels-recoveries-other-deve.9253/

There you can often as well communicate directly with the developers, to discuss features and/or bugs.

4. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

devourerOfBits80 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Mar 12, 2021 :
    I know about it, and I completely agree with you, but do you think that adding certificates should take a few months? Moreover, I suppose that bugs and issues in the OxygenOS 11 are not related with the certificates. 😁

Thanks for sharing the interesting link. 🙂

Kerkdriel_Online likes this.
  5. Tokolozi

It's not that it takes a few months, it's that every build they make needs to go through this when it's pushed as an open beta. Certification generally takes up to a week if I remember correctly, so if a build fails it already sets you back two weeks.

As for the initial delay this was caused by the issue with encryption, something custom roms could bypass since their bootloaders don't need to conform to the same standards.

Caoimhín likes this.
  6. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

Ok, I understand, but do you think that this is a customers business, that OnePlus isn't able to resolve the issue with data encryption since April '20? One year ago OnePlus has been informed about this problem, so all the explanations are only an example of simply lack of honor now. 🙂

7. Tokolozi

I see it as.
    they don't give an explanation: no one is happy.
    They do give an explanation: still not happy

With oneplus I just know not to expect the update soon. It's been this way since OP2 days.

Caoimhín and ghostofcain like this.
  8. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

I agree with you again, that no one is happy neither then, when the OnePlus doesn't give explanations nor when gives them. However... how the 7T-series users can be happy, when their devices have been never updated to major version for a year and a half? Each OnePlus device gets the first major update around six months since it has been released. For the 7T-series devices OnePlus has broken the agreement about the two years of regular updates, because regular updates should also includes major versions.

The 7T users paid for their devices exactly the same way like other users paid for their devices. So why is the 7T-series not supported in the same way like other devices? 🙂

9. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

PaulBuckle likes this.
  10. Katrick
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 12, 2021

Katrick , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Yes that is my concern
    Everyone carefully slips this point for 7t series under the rug.
    Great point 👍👍

11. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

This is exactly what I started to discuss with the OnePlus support team and currently I'm waiting for reply, but I see that they have troubles to respond my questions.

I'm considering creation of the static web page, where I will publish this conversation, to inform the community, how the OnePlus serves us the help.

Kerkdriel_Online likes this.
  12. colaboy
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

colaboy , Mar 12, 2021 :
    hahaha. I agree with your reasoning.

am laughing because what you doing, is what someone else did.

@dsmonteiro

13. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

Hahahaha... thanks a lot for your feedback. 🙂 I think that it isn't absolutely a problem, that a few people will be simultaneously "fighting" with the OnePlus for our rights. This miserable company has to take a responsibility for their activities, and for the fact, that we had been fooled by them. We can't also let them to hide the truth and fool anybody again.

Regards, 🙂

Kerkdriel_Online and colaboy like this.
  14. PaulBuckle
    Froyo Mar 12, 2021

PaulBuckle , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Have been running this ROM (Pixel Experience) on my OnePlus3 for a while now with no issues whatsoever. It has no problem running 11. May well consider it for my 7T which I bought to replace the OP3 as it was coming four years old. Oh the irony, that it is now running never software than my just over a year "new" phone.

15. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 12, 2021

I've seen that the PixelExperience ROM is available for the 7T-series, but unfortunately it is unofficial. We have to believe, that it will become an official soon, and then it should be really the best choice. 🙂

PaulBuckle likes this.
  16. Katrick
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 13, 2021

Katrick , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Not able to find 7t on the pixel experience website
    Not even android 10 version let alone 11
    😐😔

17. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 13, 2021

devourerOfBits80 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Unfortunately, the official PixelExperience builds for the 7T-series are not available, so don't appear on this ROM official website. However, there are available unofficial builds, that work pretty good. You can find them here... https://dl.chandrachaganti.workers.dev/

Cheers bro 🙂

PaulBuckle likes this.
  18. Katrick

Yeah it's weird 7t isn't supported by the custom rom community
    I was checking the most popular roms and they don't support 7t only
    They support before that like 7 and they support 8 series'
    😔😐

19. Hyperspacey
    Gingerbread Mar 13, 2021

ghostofcain, Tokolozi and McJader like this.
  20. Katrick

Yes but official comes with ota and overall daily driver stability
    It is very annoying that 7t isn't supported as rest of OnePlus devices is supported.