Display bug or problem - horizontal lines

1. Abruzini Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

Abruzini, Jun 6, 2019 :
    Hello,

I have been noticing a problem with the display. It is possible to see darker lines that extend the content in pdf files with tables, for example. (if the table lines are black or in a darker color)
    It's possible to detect the problem also when a darker image is displayed on the center of the screen and does not fill the entire display. If the image is more colorful it's harder to see/impossible.
    Also, it is visible mainly between the two sides of the screen, if in portrait mode, or from top to bottom if in landscape mode.

Edit: photos from another user (@iacoplus) uploaded to this post. 1559839829851.jpg

1559839829918.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

2. Nick 59 Lollipop Jun 6, 2019

Nick 59, Jun 6, 2019 :
    Picture of the problem areas might make it easier to understand what is happening.

3. Koolzy Lollipop Jun 6, 2019

Koolzy, Jun 6, 2019 :

4. Abruzini Gingerbread Jun 6, 2019

Abruzini, Jun 6, 2019 :
    Right now I don't have possibility to take photo. But there are some users that took pictures. You can check it in the image I upload. (from another user)
    1559835295886.jpg

1559835295936.jpg

5. baiosss Honeycomb Jun 6, 2019

baiosss, Jun 6, 2019 :
    I have it too. So, is that a software bug or hardware problem?
    Also DC dimming is off and vertical lines are still there.

6. iacoplus Froyo Jun 6, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 6, 2019 :
    Thanks a lot for creating the thread, I really appreciate! Exactly these two pics I took with my camera really show the issue. Again the best way to check on your phone is opening an e-reader app like Kindle, or checking a table on a PDF. You'll see then the same effect, but you can check also any forum/website with box-shaped content and you'll see them.

If someone could escalate the problem that'd be really nice, and I already notified the OP support as well, but the more we are the better!

As for the nature of the problem, some users argued that it could be hardware, while others and OP said it might be software. I guess we have to wait for an official reply from OnePlus.

I will try to take more pics tomorrow and update them here in this thread!

Koolzy and Abruzini like this.
  7. baiosss Honeycomb Jun 6, 2019

baiosss, Jun 6, 2019 :
    I have these horizontal lines also in my Oneplus 5. In both cases (Oneplus 7 Pro and Oneplus 5) I have to try hard to see them. At least in my case.

In support>troubleshooting page, display and screen solution>display abnormal it says that you have to apply after sales service if you have black lines or black dots.

I don't think we have to worry about it. But if it's a problem that does not exist to all 7 Pro's devices out there, then I suppose that needs service.

8. iacoplus Froyo Jun 6, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 6, 2019 :

baiosss

I have these horizontal lines also in my Oneplus 5. In both cases (Oneplus 7 Pro and Oneplus 5) I have to try hard to see them. At least in my case.

In support>troubleshooting page, display and screen solution>display abnormal it says that you have to apply after sales service if you have black lines or black dots.

I don't think we have to worry about it. But if it's a problem that does not exist to all 7 Pro's devices out there, then I suppose that needs service.​

It's not like I worry about it, but when I open a table or a book it's really hard not to see them, especially after you know they're there. I contacted the support and together we tested the screen through the Factory Mode test, and it reported no defect.

Also, the case you're referring is probably true when the lines/dots are permanent, which clearly indicates a fault/damage, rather than a factory problem (hw or sw) which many people are experiencing.

Again it's not something that prevents one to use the phone, like the ghost tap issue, but for 700 euro I expect no faults to be honest. Hopefully OP will look into it further, and if it is indeed the unlikely case you described, replace my device (and those of the others with similar problem).

9. Abruzini Gingerbread Jun 7, 2019

10. iacoplus Froyo Jun 7, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 7, 2019 :
    I thought so, even though I haven't checked the update yet. But apparently not many people reported this artifact yet. I am hopeful they'll notice the thread soon

11. J1558851307574 Donut Jun 9, 2019

J1558851307574, Jun 9, 2019 :
    I have the same problem, obviously. I surely hope this is again just a problem that can be fixed by software. Stupid internet, I would have never noticed this shit without reading about it on the forum.

12. K1560178348914 Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

iacoplus likes this.
  13. iacoplus Froyo Jun 10, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 10, 2019 :
    It's definitely a spread problem then, not just isolated cases. I wondered if anyone from Oneplus is looking into it already...

I will post more photos later on this thread about this issue

14. Pirilampus Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

15. Pirilampus Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

Pirilampus, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Also, provide that feedback with all the information that you gathered to the community App (they called it Provide Feedback). On that Community App, you will open a forum thread, but maybe OnePlus has a more direct way of looking into this issue and saying something about it

16. iacoplus Froyo Jun 10, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 10, 2019 :
    Yes I wanted to do it, but there's no section about the display in the bug report group. Maybe I should do it as a Suggestion?

17. Pirilampus Cupcake Jun 10, 2019

iacoplus likes this.
  18. iacoplus Froyo Jun 11, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 11, 2019 :
    Some additional photos of the screen, showing even better these artifacts. These will be two tables from Adobe Reader, where it's really clear to see, one picture of black squares from Google Chrome and my homepage with the Netflix widget. In all cases "trails" can be seen departing from the content and disappearing at the sides of the phone. If one looks very close (not sure if it's visible here) these trails are also present next to the text, although to a lesser extent.

All of them are black content with white background to make it easier to show the issue via photos, but it is visible in any situation/background, as long as the content is darker than the background.

I hope that this thread reaches OnePlus, also after the feedback I provided (maybe all of the people who can notice this issue can also do that?) and contacting them on Twitter. I would really like them to acknowledge the artifacts, which clearly are not caused by a faulty unit, and look into possible solutions to fix what otherwise is an astonishing screen.

1560283484071.jpg

1560283484143.jpg

1560283484186.jpg

1560283484216.jpg

19. iacoplus Froyo Jun 14, 2019

iacoplus, Jun 14, 2019 :
    OnePlus' Bug Hunters team just told me that they reported the issue to the dev team and that they'll be looking into it asap. Hopefully we'll know more soon!

Shalin235 and J1558851307574 like this.
  20. J1558851307574 Donut Jun 14, 2019

J1558851307574, Jun 14, 2019 :
    Oh that's very good to hear! At least they listen. Not that I've not encountered other problems. Like the volume buttons not working (even checked with the factory tester, after restarting it worked) and Internet not working on neither WiFi nor mobile data, also fixed by restarting