Display Deep Dive Pt.2 - OnePlus 7 Pro Supports HDR 10+

1. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 25, 2019

Christopher Doherty , May 25, 2019 :
    yeah I just adjust my brightness manually cause it seems to over do it for me to. but I don't think you have to turn on hdr10+ I think it just work with hdr content like on Netflix. I think not sure.

Michelin18 likes this.
  2. Michelin18
    Eclair May 25, 2019

Michelin18 , May 25, 2019 :
    i agree with mostly of what you said.
    in my case i been with a htc u11. the phone is fine. but after two years , the screen needed a replacement, too many falls
    also the battery had deteriorated.
    to change those two is about 160$
    the down-payment for the 7pro is that and i can pay 25$ monthly and get new hardware

the phone is great, it takes getting use to it and learning new metbods.

i still cant find how to turn down GPS and use network location. that helps with the Battery.

also the brightness settings are set too high. even under sunny conditions, there is no need for 100% brightness. 70%-80%
    i use an app lux, but doesn't seem to work on android9
    do you of a way to calibrate the sensor?

the HDR10+ i dont know how to activate it or there is a update to enable it.

3. Michelin18
    Eclair May 25, 2019

Michelin18 , May 25, 2019 :
    i have try netflix content that has HDR.
    i dont see the difference. unless i bump the brightness slider to 100% even after that, it doesnt have that feeljng.

yes, thats what i do too.
    what i find weird. I've always use an app callee lux that app works better than the phone auto brightness. but is not working with android9

4. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

mattyelle1 , May 26, 2019 :
    Netflix almost exclusively provides Dolby Vision content...which will play as HDR10 on devices only certified to this standard, but...

My OP 7 Pro is unable to play HDR content from my Plex (HDR10) nor Netflix (Dolby Vision). I compared against my Sony x900f TV: no details in dark areas on phone where TV shows plenty, no bright white lights while TV is indistinctively HDR, and colours are less vibrant on OP 7 Pro than while playing Netflix on an old Samsung s8.

My understanding of HDR10+ certification is that device must be able to be backward compatible with HDR10 content. Also Dolby Vision plays as HDR10 on devices certified to this level. So basically OP 7 Pro is unable to play HDR10 content properly.

I'm comparing this "A+" OLED display against a 2.5 year old phone and an LED TV. Unacceptable. You know HDR when you've viewed it previously. This OP 7 Pro does NOT work with HDR content.

OP fix this ASAP...or I will return.

5. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Christopher Doherty , May 26, 2019 :
    so what has to change for it to work with HDR 10+? and why do they say it is? does it work with anything

6. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

It should work with Amazon Prime which provides HDR10+ content out of their partnership with Samsung Philips and Sharp I think. But I don't get why it's not playing HDR10...I'm sure the s10 series play HDR10 in addition to HDR10+. This is an OLED display...it's able to play HDR content they just need to fix and push an update.

Michelin18 likes this.
  7. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah I've had a lot of bugs like visiual voicemail not working, apps constanly closing and I have to uninstall and reinstall and a few others and I got the 12 gb vareint . it sucks. doesn't Netflix have hdr content? and what would they need to fix cause it says that it's HDR10+ ?

8. Michelin18
    Eclair May 26, 2019

Michelin18 , May 26, 2019 :
    I'm sure it will add a update for it.
    oneplus have to be transparent about this stuff.

the phone is for geekie people, they have to know we are getting the phone based on the specs

9. Michelin18
    Eclair May 26, 2019

my only bug is with the phone brightness. even though is in manual, it still moves by itself.

10. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah I hope they do cause it's annoying dealing with all the random bugs and it's upsetting.

11. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

wow that's weird it changes on manual? maybe you have to factory reset it?

12. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Like I wrote previously Netflix has Dolby Vision (DV) HDR content. DV is overkill: 12-bit colour space, 4,000 NIT peak brightness no display can achieve...it's not even close. No display comes close to filling 10-bit colour space and max brightness is around 2,000-3,000 NITs. All DV content will play down to HDR10 if a display doesn't have DV certification. If it does, all DV adds to current display technology is meta data which enables frame by frame to be adjusted for dynamic range (dark scenes will drop NIT range, bright scenes will hike to displays maximum).

HDR10+ adds meta data to HDR10 content if the display is certified. On current displays this should match DV quality. So OP 7 Pro should play HDR10 video, and Netflix DV content should be displayed as HDR10...but it's not working.

Last edited: May 26, 2019

13. Michelin18
    Eclair May 26, 2019

im not doing that

14. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

is there a way I can check and see if it's working on my phone ? like will it says it's playing in HDR or Dv in Netflix or do I have to turn it on? I just wanna see how I can check if it's working

15. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

lol I don't blame you. that's so strange. I hope you can figure it out or exchange it or return and buy again

16. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

In YouTube if you select an HDR video (YouTube content is in HLG-HDR standard), then look at resolution options you should see 1080p HDR, 1440p HDR etc as options. This tells you YouTube app is recognizing the device can play HDR.

The issue I'm having is that YouTube does recognize my OP 7 Pro as being able to play HDR, but the videos playing back on my phone are NOT actually in HDR....

- For example, a dark shadow over an actor's face on my x900f TV will not hide details like right eye, cheek and right side of nose...but on OP 7 Pro the entire right side of face will be pitch black. No details. That's not HDR.

- Also, another example is bright LED headlights from a car at night will pop off the screen on my TV likely pushing over 1,000 NITs seeming realistic...on my phone it stays dim like on SDR displays...perhaps 300 NITs. Well we know this phone can pump out peaks of 800 NITs so if this movie was playing back in HDR those headlights would be 800 NITs and bright.

17. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah I'll try it and I'll try prime to see if I can get it to work

18. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Let me know if you notice those details in dark and bright highlights in Amazon Prime, specifically Jack Ryan...my membership just expired. I expect it should work since OP advertises HDR10+ which Amazon provides content in that format, but who knows with OP

19. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah I'll try it do I have to turn it on for prime or it'll be automatic?

20. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

auto