Display Deep Dive Pt.2 - OnePlus 7 Pro Supports HDR 10+

1. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Christopher Doherty , May 26, 2019 :
    ok cool and I get everything you said about Netflix the only reason I was confused about the Dv and hdr is cause I thought Netflix has hdr as well. you obviously have a better understanding of this stuff and I'm just trying to keep up.

2. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

mattyelle1 , May 26, 2019 :
    Can't blame you it's complicated & hard to wrap your mind around it. I just researched it alot and tested it late last year when shopping for an HDR TV.

3. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah I have an hdr 4ktv to but I don't think it's true hdr cause when I turn HDR on it just makes the screen dark witch sucks.

4. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Christopher Doherty

yeah I have an hdr 4ktv to but I don't think it's true hdr cause when I turn HDR on it just makes the screen dark witch sucks.​

You likely have a cheaper 4K HDR TV variant. What's your TV?

Alot of cheaper TVs are getting HDR10 certification to help sell TVs...because that certification is free. But if the TV is an LED without local dimming and the peak brightness is below 600 NITs it will not actually be HDR. YouTube and other apps will recognize your TV can play HDR and will then push 10-bit colour space video with a wide range of brightnesses (that's really what HDR means). if your TV can barely produce colours outside 8- bit colour space, peak brightness below 600 NITs, and no local dimming you will only get a washed out image that is dim. It's better to play SDR content on those TVs. Obviously OLEDs don't have this issue but those are super expensive.

5. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

To come full circle back to OP 7 Pro the display is OLED so no need for local dimming each pixel can be turned on or off individually. It has been tested to nearly 800 NITs so that's good, and it seems to fill 10-bit colour spaces fairly well. OP just needs to hire experts in HDR to tweak its software...I'm just not sure how close they are...

6. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah it's a samsung tv I forget witch one I'll check later but it wasn't very expensive and when I go to the menu and turn it on it just darkens the screen so I leave it off. and yeah I hope they have updates for it. and when I googled Netflix it said they have 4k and hdr content that's what confused me but the way you explained it was better.

7. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

A good HDR TV won't even have that toggle lol

8. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

just curious why do you think my tv just darkens the screen when I turn it on? it seems like thats a bad thing and noone would ever use it.

9. Michelin18
    Eclair May 26, 2019

Michelin18 , May 26, 2019 :
    i dont think is enabke yet , nothing in settings doesn't say anything about HDR on.

hdr always have to be enabled

10. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

Because it's trying to play content it's unable to. So it tunes it down to a range of brightnesses it can manage, so you likely get more details in dark scenes if you look very closely. But then it's unable to display brighter areas...the entire image looks dark. Instead toggle that crap "OFF" and watch in SDR...it will give you a middle ground of dark and bright details that your TV is able to produce.

Only Samsung's able to play HDR properly are QLEDs and I'm sure you've seen the price tag on those.

11. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah it's definitely not a qled lol yeah I leave it off it's pointless even in video games that support it it just darkens the screen. I was hoping it help, cause my tv is all blotchy I'm the black spots and it sucks and idk if I have to learn to calibrate it or something but it just doesn't look good but it didn't help.

12. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

screenshots from The Meg playing via Plex Android on my OP 7 Pro. The movie is in HDR10, yet the phone displays it in SDR...

The dynamic range of brightnesses is too limited to show proper varying gradiant of night sky. You see those harsh digital lines where colours shift...
    1558840421510.jpg
    Again limited dynamic range can't see details on Jason Statham's right side of face. Only black...
    1558840421546.jpg

On my x900f (even on Vizio M series I tried a few months) I could see details in dark areas and that sky would not have those blotchy lines. The issue of bright highlights cannot be demo-ed...your display will not show you what I mean.

13. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

wow yeah that gradient is very noticeable.. do you think there's a way they can fix that with software or do you think it's hardware? cause I don't think software can help my shitty 4 tv lol I think it's hardware

14. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

OP 7 Pro has the hardware to display HDR properly: OLED, fills DCI-P3 colour space nicely (even spills into rec.2020), and just enough peak brightness near 800 NITs...

So yes it can be fixed via software. They just need experienced software engineers with HDR displays to get to work asap

Michelin18 likes this.
  15. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah well I hope they do that because there's a fee things I'd hope they fix. and the 2.2 optical zoom lie and some sketchy things with there trade in program I've experienced so I don't have a ton of hope but maybe they'll come thru with updates and help fix somethings sooner rather then later cause some of these bugs are annoying.

16. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

HDR10+ standard is just future proofing. Samsung is starting to sell TVs that hit around 3,000 NITs...last year Sony demo-ed a TV that hit 10,000 NITs which received great praise...but it's not for sale yet. Don't forget mini-LED tech which is coming to replace OLED...it can theoretically produce up to 1 Million NITs lol ( close to intensity of Sun)...Samsung is producing some displays already with mini-LEDs obviously they tune that down much much lower

17. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

yeah I've heard news about microled as well. but haven't seen any concepts yet in the articles I've read.

18. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

19. Christopher Doherty
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

20. mattyelle1
    Gingerbread May 26, 2019

It depends on what the YouTube creator uploads. No one really films or exports into 1440p...it's either 1080p or 4k 99% of time. Some of your YouTube channels may prefer the fast and smooth editing of 1080p videos which take a fraction of the time. But with modern computers 4k is really not that bad anymore, they just have to make the switch. Many don't care, most viewers are still limited to 1080p