Display Display failing - already replaced once - weird "static"

1. Mc Brian
    Donut Jul 12, 2020

Mc Brian , Jul 12, 2020 :
    I had this issue previously, four months after I bought my new 7 Pro phone , from OnePlus. I sent my phone in and the display was replaced (as stated by the repair centre). Three months later, I am having the same/similar issue. I made a video explaining it this time - about 80 seconds long

and a video the previous time

Has anyone else had this issue? The screen is flickering almost like a tube tv would with static.

As well, the phone stopped rotating a couple of weeks ago and the phone does not detect the accelerometer or gyroscope.

There is no damage to the phone that I know of and I take care of my devices (cases and screen protectors). I am obviously going to send it back in, but this is super inconvenient to happen to a work phone. This issue was clearly not solved on the first repair. Do you know if OnePlus will replace the phone so I don't have to send it back a third time? Is there a certain amount of times they will repair it before they replace the phone?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Apewzdee likes this.
  2. Artemus.
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 16, 2020

3. .Deleted_Member.
    Nougat Jul 12, 2020

.Deleted_Member. , Jul 12, 2020 :
    tempered glass?
    in warranty?

curved screen, amoled and tempered glass screen protector don't go well together...

Artemus. likes this.
  4. Mc Brian
    Donut Jul 12, 2020

Mc Brian , Jul 12, 2020 :
    It is in warranty. No, not tempered glass. It's just a thin film protector. I didn't think tempered glass would hold on the curved screen.

Thank you for the reply.

BeingIncog likes this.
  5. Artemus.
    Community Hero 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Artemus. , Jul 12, 2020 :
    It might be more than screen damage if a screen replacement doesn't solve the issue for long.

Mc Brian likes this.
  6. Mc Brian
    Donut Jul 13, 2020

Mc Brian , Jul 13, 2020 :
    I was thinking that may be the case. But, will the repair centre just repair the screen again I wonder.

Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020

7. Mc Brian
    Donut Aug 4, 2020

Mc Brian , Aug 4, 2020 :
    To update:

I received a message from the repair facility that there is corrosion (ie: water damage to the phone). I explained to OnePlus that the first time this happened, it was identified as a screen issue, at a time when the phone wasn't exposed to any moisture (dec-march in Northern Ontario)... maybe typical pocket sweat. Then almost the exact same amount of time later, the screen started malfunctioning again (as per above) again, also with no unreasonable moisture exposure, but now it is identified as caused by the user.

In my current situation, I couldn't justify paying the $450 repair fee for a 6 month old phone, especially given that I didn't believe that was the issue, so they reassembled the phone and sent it back to me. When I received it, it is now working as if nothing happened, just like last time I got it back. I factory reset the phone before I sent it both times, so I know that more than a factory reset has to be done. Therefore, the corrosion/water damage is currently having no effect on the phone, thus leading any reasonable person to conclude that this issue is related to the original screen issue, and not water damage.

My very biased analysis of this is that I may have received a defective phone where it has an issue that is solved when the screen is disconnected and reconnected. The water damaged may be due to an initial issue related to this (if there is a screen issue, there could also be a seal issue), or possibly due to some inconsistency in the first repair (not blaming them, just looking at all the options), especially considering that, while the phone is not advertised as waterproof, it is shown in a cup of water. I wasn't showering with my phone, nor leaving it in my beer glass, so there is no reason for water damage. However, all that said and not taking my word for it, there is still an original defect with the phone.

Luckily, OnePlus responded to me just over a week ago that they are looking into the report and will get back to me. My hope is that they will replace the phone, as it was brand new and has been having issues since. I would like to recommend OnePlus (the screen and camera are beautiful) but, presently, it feels as if #I_have_settled.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I'm also adding to this in case this info can help someone else who has similar screen issues.

8. Mc Brian
    Donut Nov 16, 2020

Mc Brian , Nov 16, 2020 :
    OnePlus has yet to follow up on my contact requests. I have been very patient and understanding and I understand we are in Covid-19 mode but I expected a response by now.

This brand new phone had an issue after only a couple of months. A screen repair was done but the issue returned and I have been using a phone that isn't working properly.

As such, I am not certain that I can recommend buying a OnePlus phone, as I have yet to fix this issue.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020

9. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Nov 16, 2020

pablofg1978 , Nov 16, 2020 :
    Can you please send me a PM with your ticket number?

Mc Brian and SoniaB like this.
  10. Mc Brian
    Donut Nov 29, 2020

pablofg1978 likes this.
  11. Mc Brian
    Donut Dec 31, 2020

Mc Brian , Dec 31, 2020 :
    I would like to offer a big thanks to the OnePlus community.

OnePlus contacted me and after a bit of back and forth, they were able to resolve my issue. They could not identify what caused the issue but they were quite accommodating once I reached the correct department. I am completely satisfied with the result.

I made my Nov 16 post above not expecting that my issue would be resolved and the community came through and I can't thank you enough.

Artemus - thank you much for flagging my issue

Pablo - thank you for supporting me and helping me move this forward

Happy holidays and I wish you the best in 2021! :D

pablofg1978 likes this.