[Display] Hello everyone we can discuss any Screen Brightness related issues on this thread.

1. Ultra71
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

Ultra71 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Same here brother

vineeth_kumar_2 likes this.
  2. tarunvats33
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

3. tarunvats33
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

tarunvats33 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Brightness automatically increase and decreases with adaptive setting as off...when we swap between different applications...such as wats app, Facebook , dialer app, gmail ...

4. tarunvats33
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

So basically there are two issues on Nord display

1. Green or purple tint observed on bottom part of the screen..when background is black or grey..

2. Automatic increase n decreases of brightness...

Any members from One Plus staff confirms its a software issue or we need a replacement????

5. P1596923804292
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

P1596923804292 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    How do I share the bandwidth please?

6. steveeeg
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

tarunvats33 likes this.
  7. tarunvats33
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

Steps to reproduce Green tint issue

steps to reproduce

1. Apply dark theme
    2. go to dark room or say at night
    3 Open dialer app or Chrome app
    4. Apply night mode

Purplish color on sreen at some below areas could be seen...

8. I1596523051092
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

I1596523051092 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I am happy to say that I am a Nord user. I am facing the same issue, green tint issue occuring only in dark theme, steps to reproduce, trun on dark theme in day time and switch off the lights, then open message app with low brightness, you can see green tint issue. Hope this will fix soon.

9. thevirtualink
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

thevirtualink , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :

Akshath13

Hi,

thanks for creating a new thread to discuss about Display/Brightness issues.

I am observed like the adaptive screen brightness sometimes makes screen brightness more suddenly

This usually happens when unlocking the phone.

Hope to get it fix in the OTA.​

This happens for face recognition if turned on. The auto brightness is intentionally set to more intensity while unlocking so that in darker conditions the front face cam is still able to recognise your face.

1596969482988.jpg

10. akshathk
    Eclair Aug 9, 2020

akshathk , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Hi,

When i tried setting it off. Then also the brightness was setting to more and adjusting after few seconds.

SnehilSJena and Victor G.G like this.
  11. thevirtualink
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

thevirtualink , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Oh, then sir I am not sure of this issue. I thought of possible case but this I have not faced on my nord so it's not relevant to me or I don't have much knowledge on it. Apologies.

12. LukeTerrington
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

LukeTerrington , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I'm also getting the issue of brightness/contrast adjusting depending on what app I'm in. It normally takes a couple seconds for it to change.

This is with auto brightness off.

13. yaammuu
    Gingerbread Aug 9, 2020

yaammuu , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 9, 2020 :
    1596991317147.jpg
    Black bar issue at grey background dark theme @ night

14. magnusenorson
    Eclair Aug 9, 2020

magnusenorson , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I too am experiencing that the Nord reduces brightness automatically, even though auto brightness adjust is turned off. Interestingly enough, I had the same issue on my OnePlus 6 (which I just sold).

15. do2blehelix
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

do2blehelix , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I noticed that when I tilt the phone slightly the white colour changes in colourful waves of warm and cool. The discolour at slight viewing angle is becoming annoying sometimes.
    I observe a different tint of the screen, kind of an optical illusion. This is very clear with white colour pages.

Anyone else having this issue? Or
    Is my display defective?

16. sklippert
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

sklippert , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Glad to see that I am not the only one with automatic brightness issues (with auto brightness turned off).

It is a very consistent behaviour. Whenever I open an app, the brightness goes down a bit after 3 seconds. And 3 seconds later it goes down a bit more.
    When going back to the launcher, homescreen or settings it increases again in two (or three?) steps.

I have had this since day one, but never on my 5T. I have checked all settings (including developer options) and cleared system cache. I even removed the launcher data to make sure it was clean, but the issue still remains.
    It makes the browsing experience feel really uneasy, espescially in darker environments.

It has to be a software issue because it is not random at all, so I hope it can be fixed or we can have a setting for it.

17. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

PauloW , Aug 9, 2020 :
    I already opened an earlier topic about the automatic brightness issue (with auto brightness turned off) here. But I'll paste OP's reply and my answer also here, because it seems that I'm not the only one with this issue:

OP's reply: [Edit: not sure if this was OP's reply or a forum member]

1.First of all, check Settings-Display-Adaptive brightness switch. If it's off, please switch it on.

2. Please try to use the device in a different light condition or environment.

3. Open [Settings]-[Display] to check whether Reading mode or Night mode is enabled.

4. If the issue still persist try to clear cache, back up all the data and flash to the latest OS version.

5.If actions above are not helpful, please contact OnePlus after-sale support.

My answer:

I've done (almost) every step that you suggested, but the problem is still here.

1. Adaptive brightness switch turned on. Tested in different rooms and lighting situations. With the switch turned on, the brightness is automatically pretty dim. About half as bright as manually set at 100%. This is way too dark for me, because I like my screen as bright as possible. But even at this automatic brightness (with adaptive switch on) the brightness drops after a few seconds when I'm in an app. So same behaviour. And in every lighting environment.

2. Different light condition or environment. Done it. See step 1.

3. Reading mode and Night mode are disabled.

4. I've cleared cache through the recovery menu. No change. The final step (flash to the latest OS version) I haven't done. I received my new Nord yesterday. Right from the beginning I saw this brightness issue. So I hadn't updated the phone yet. The system update message was already in my notification bar, but I just didn't do it immediately. After about an hour, when I was finished with other settings, I downloaded the latest system update for the Nord. I hoped this would solve the brightness issue, but it didn't. So I don't believe that flashing to the latest OS version can solve the issue. Therefore I didn't do that step.

I know of at least two other new Nord buyers who have the exact same problem, and there are probably more [Edit: indeed there are way more people with this issue]. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I don't use a dark theme, but a light theme, and that I set my screen brightness manually (with adaptive switch off) at about almost 100%?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020

18. debas104
    Cupcake Aug 9, 2020

19. sagarsingh202
    Froyo Aug 10, 2020

20. Deactivated User
    Aug 10, 2020