[Display] Hello everyone we can discuss any Screen Brightness related issues on this thread.

1. Rajith H M
    Eclair Aug 11, 2020

M1597394703435 likes this.
  2. G Surya Praveen
    Donut Aug 11, 2020

G Surya Praveen , Aug 11, 2020 :
    My nord has display pink tint and black bar along front camera ,not only that the screen looks slight yellowish, viewing angle 60-80 degree produces green & pink colours.
    Please fix this issue.
    Who asked for camera update and fixes.
    Worst display I have ever seen such a stupid display ,iam totally dissatisfied 28k money that's not a joke.
    If this is a hardware issue ,please give instructions to service centers to replacement or refund for the product.

Attached Files:

3. tarunvats33
    Donut Aug 11, 2020

tarunvats33 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 11, 2020 :
    You are right bro..@varun confirm this that it's a software issue or hardware one...

Also If hardware one, Initiate a process to Refund or replace units at service centres...

spending 28 k is not a joke..

harshal@10 and Sounak Basu like this.
  4. telemekon
    Donut Aug 11, 2020

telemekon , Aug 11, 2020 :
    Screen brightness thread, yay!

In my experience the automatic (adaptive) brightness is always set pretty low, in full sunlight as well as in darker interiors. Disabling it and setting the brightness manually I'm usually able to achieve desired brightness, but it's inconvenient.

I noticed that some users actually prefer darker screens, but how cool would it be to be able to set auto brightness offset, right?

Rude Ayelo likes this.
  5. sklippert
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

sklippert , Aug 11, 2020 :
    These are good additions to the problem description and I can confirm I see the exact same behaviour.
    It happens on 60 and 90Hz and not in all apps.

It is interesting to see that some apps are not affected. I can confirm that it does not happen in the lock and home screens or the app drawer and now that you mention it, I also don't see it happen in Play Store, Assistant, Gmail and Google Photos.
    But in Google News, Chrome and Youtube it does dim after 3 seconds, so it is not even the same behaviour in all Google apps or in preinstalled apps.

So far in all other apps I have tried it seems to reduce the brightness automatically, even the phone dialer.
    That includes all the apps in your list.

I can't see a pattern here yet, but maybe if other users can confirm it will help the devs to see if the apps it does happen in may have other privileges or settings.

6. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2020

7. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2020

palc , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 11, 2020 :
    However, if you jump apps, i.e. community to chrome, chrome to settings, settings to homescreen, gmail to settings, etc. You can see the brightness change after 2-3 sec. Keep your brightness above 45% and check for yourself.
    For me, there's no brightness fluctuation if my brightness is below 40-45%

k1l4, I1596345689844 and Zankenobi like this.
  9. Varun Penumaka
    Staff Staff Member Aug 11, 2020

Varun Penumaka , Aug 11, 2020 :
    Hi @PauloW, thanks for the feedback we would need more information about the issue. Dropped a DM. Thanks

10. sklippert
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

sklippert , Aug 11, 2020 :
    Correct, it goes up again after you leave the app or go to an unaffected app. That was said before.
    That is mostly what makes it so annoying.

It is a good point that it is not happening below about 40% brightness (or 35% maybe). I had not noticed that before.
    So there is definately some minimum brightness that is keeps to.

It seems to dim a certain percentage in steps, so if you start at 100% it will go to 90% and then 80%. And if you are at 50% it will go to 45% and 40% (or 40% and 30% maybe) but it will never be a huge drop from 100% to 50% fortunately.

palc likes this.
  11. GauravSharma90
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

GauravSharma90 , Aug 11, 2020 :
    I have received my Nord yesterday and I am also experiencing the muchsmuch discussed tinting issue at low brightness. Looked multiple threads but not sure if we have any solution to this. Do we have any update regarding this.

12. ShubhamBayas
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

raghavggb likes this.
  13. Raghav_Baskar
    Eclair Aug 11, 2020

G_Nitin_Chhajed_CJuX likes this.
  14. shadynit
    Gingerbread Aug 11, 2020

shadynit , Aug 11, 2020 :
    I am facing screen brightness issue, Calibration is not that good, I have to change brightness multiple times.

15. JavierL
    Froyo Aug 11, 2020

16. Rryuk
    Froyo Aug 11, 2020

raghavggb likes this.
  17. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

PauloW , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Hi Varun,

I've sent the links for log and screenshot to you in DM.

One important thing about the screenshot. When I reproduced the issue during the log and took the screenshot, the screen was indeed less bright (which is the issue: brightness reduces automatically, although adaptive switch is off). But... it doesn't show on the screenshot! When I open the screenshot on my phone it is NOT less bright, but in fact it WAS less bright. Well, maybe that says something too.

Varun Penumaka likes this.
  18. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

PauloW , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Another crazy thing about the brightness issue:

- Open (for example) Chrome and watch the brightness drop after a few seconds.
    - Then press the square Android button in your navigation bar (or do the switch/overview gesture). You'll see the same Chrome screen in smaller size, but now at full brightness again.

The same happens with any other app that is vulnerable to the brightness issue. See my previous post.

My thoughts: certain system apps/functions or even third party apps are NOT vulnerable to the brightness issue, such as Homescreen, Settings, File Manager, Play Store, Assistant, Gmail and probably the Navigation screens too. Other system and third party apps ARE vulnerable to this brightness issue, such as Chrome, Maps, Twitter, YouTube, Whatsapp, MS Outlook, MS Office etcetera.

There must be a common software reason why some apps/functions are or are not affected.

FeelGood77 and suicida1 like this.
  19. Raghav_Baskar
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

20. MasterJam
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

MasterJam , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Brightness breathing easy to reproduce on manual AND automatic brightness within Google Assistant "settings". The switch of brightness (and green tint every few seconds) is very obvious