[Display] Hello everyone we can discuss any Screen Brightness related issues on this thread.

1. karkyaal
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

karkyaal , Aug 14, 2020 :
    I got the replaced device even bad with tinting compared to mine original. now i have sent back the device for refund :(

yasir_hussain._ and Marco Agizza like this.
  2. vnc95
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2020

vnc95 , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Hallo Varun,

Is it possible to increase the brightness of the display the MAX setting is still to low when the phone is in direct sunlight

3. suicida1
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2020

suicida1 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 14, 2020 :
    I have a Nord and the screen brightness is driving me insane. I have adaptive brightness off. I like a warmer colour tint, and fairly low brightness (my eyes are really sensitive to bright light) but when I open certain apps the brightness shoots WAY up, like really bright white.

Apps that do this are all Google apps it seems to me: Gmail, Chrome, the "shelf" / Google app, Google Pay, Drive

It's almost like the Google apps are ignoring custom screen calibration set by the user.

4. C1597169204945
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2020

5. C1597169204945
    Cupcake Aug 14, 2020

C1597169204945 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Hi team I don't know why the hidden apps password and main lock screen password are same?This is raising privacy issue.you can change it like four digit for lock screen and six digit for hidden apps.

6. LocutusNL , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Aug 14, 2020 :
    As you can see I'm facing this issue as well. After changing the viewing angle green and purple bars are appearing. It's best visible on white colours and it doesn't seem to have any relation with brightness levels. I've had Amoled screens before but I've never seen these effects. Hopefully this is fixable with a software update because the rest of the phone is splendid!
    1597427913176.jpg

1597427692627.jpg

1597427692720.jpg

Attached Files:

7. bajajaditya19
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

bajajaditya19 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 14, 2020 :
    This is so major issue in real life that i am thinking of returning/replacing the mobile

Yours is green, mine is purple
    All over the screen

And my speaker /all nord users speakers are damaged
    Just hear corona or busy ringtone while calling someone, you will hear something abnormal speaker noise while the ringtone is being heard.

8. wwegleitner
    Gingerbread Aug 14, 2020

9. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

PauloW , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Interesting addition to an already mentioned problem: brightness drops automatically, although adaptive switch is off. See my earlier post. And also this post.

- In your case (with brightness set to fairly low and adaptive switch off) the brightness shoots way up in certain apps.
    - In my case (with brightness set to pretty high and adaptive switch off) the brightness drops down about 20% in certain apps.

So new conclusion is (on top of the other conclusions in this topic): it seems that certain system functions and apps trigger the brightness to be set at a certain predefined level. For users with standard low brightness it feels that the screen gets way to bright all of a sudden. For users like me (with standard high brightness) it feels that the screen gets less bright.

This 'predefined level' is new information: what seems like an increase for person A, is a decrease for person B, depending on how high you set your standard brightness. So something in apps or system functions sets brightness to a specific level.

@Varun Please pay attention to this new info.

suicida1 likes this.
  10. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

PauloW , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I agree with you. All amoled screens from all brands have these issues. In normal use you wouldn't even notice it, unless you look for it. However, we can't ignore the fact that some screens are more affected than others. If that's the case, you have bad luck and should return your phone. But don't keep complaining about green/purple issues when you can only see them under abnormal circumstances.

11. suicida1
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

suicida1 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 15, 2020 :
    From reading this thread, I agree that this looks like the issue. I know some apps can override user brightness settings, for example Google Pay raises screen brightness when displaying a QR Code to make it easier to scan, and it looks to me like this is what's happening here. it's not consistent for me though, sometimes I'll open Gmail and it's fine, and the next time the brightness shoots way up.

I also have the colour banding issue when viewing the screen from an angle, but it doesn't bother me.

12. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

PauloW , Aug 15, 2020 :
    For me Gmail is consistent so far (not affected), but I don't use Gmail that much. Here's my list so far (also posted earlier):

Brightness DOESN'T reduce (change) automatically:
    Lockscreen
    Homescreen
    Settings
    File Manager
    Play Store
    Assistant
    Gmail

Brightness DOES reduce (change) automatically:
    Chrome
    Maps
    Twitter
    YouTube
    Whatsapp
    MS Outlook
    MS Office

I1596345689844 and tarunvats33 like this.
  13. Shrivatchav
    Donut Aug 15, 2020

Shrivatchav , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Honestly, I have not faced this problem on my nord. The tint is very subtle, and will not be visible unless you pixel peep too much.. If its too drastic for you, please consider replacing the device
    Peace!

JavierL likes this.

14. R1596522859281
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

15. X1595359709695
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

X1595359709695 , Aug 15, 2020 :
    In certain apps, screen brightness automatically decreases or becomes slightly dull even when adaptive brightness is off. This occurs when the phone is kept idle for 3-4 seconds. I noticed it in chrome, instagram, Facebook. It is very consistent and doesn't occur randomly.

16. Aftab78g
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

17. AAA_Freddo_Addle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 15, 2020

AAA_Freddo_Addle , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Display issues.

1. Green tint issue in chrome. ( or any other grey page)
    2. Purple tint issue in OnePlus community app and settings app (or any other such black page)

Brightness issue.

1. Adaptive Brightness enabled
    2. when I unlock using fingerprint. The brightness will be high automatically and it doesn't automatically reduce unless manually reduced.

Battery Draining (OnePlus Nord)

I could get SOT of about 5 hours most times. but when I play games I would get around less than 4.5 hours. Battery Draining needs to be really Improved on OnePlus Nord.

4115 mAh battery must easily last around 6.5 to 7 hours but this is not case in actual usage.

Please improve the battery performance with an OTA.
    @Carl
    @Shawn
    @joe

18. Thiruvikkaram_V
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

Thiruvikkaram_V , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Hi guys. First of all congrats for launching a mid range OnePlus device with flag ship features. Got NORD 3 days back and it's amazing. This is my first OnePlus device. But I noticed some changes can be made to improve as you always help your customers to stay with you by listening to us.
    First thing I noticed is when we use phone under sunlight it's not upto the brightness. Kindly improve the brightness so that we can see screen in sun light without straining our eyes.
    Second thing please revamp the battery consumption. I think something is sucking battery. But I agree it's Amoled with 90Hz. But if you can make some tweaks will be better.

Hope the above can be addressed and we can get a OTA update.

Once again thank you team for delivering a wonderful device.

19. Antgl
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

Antgl , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I think the outdoor brightness is too low it seems like it is the same as my OnePlus 3?