[Display] Hello everyone we can discuss any Screen Brightness related issues on this thread.

1. saishankar515
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2020

Joesef Joestar likes this.
  2. subramanyam_k
    Donut Aug 20, 2020

3. erizbg
    Cupcake Aug 20, 2020

erizbg , Aug 20, 2020 :
    Is this confirmed? Because maybe I should return my phone... And I haven't received it yet.

4. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 20, 2020

palc , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 20, 2020 :
    Ofcourse it's confirmed.
    Those tints that go haywire on the display when you tilt it sideways are because of light diffracting irregularly off the display panel to your eyes. What I can guess from my current knowledge of physics is either OnePlus forgot to apply a coating on the glass (or applied one that doesn't work) to limit the diffraction and interference or the amoled panel used inside is of such poor quality that the amoled panel surface has micro-level bends which is causing light to come off at different angles, interfere and cause those haywire tint patterns. I'm typically referring to the colors that you see when tilting the phone and NOT the black crush (violet, green tints at low brightness which is another indication of a poor panel use).
    Anyway, neither is fixable by software. Software can't fix everything. Definitely not issues with the panels and the glass coatings.

5. abelmathew1903
    Froyo Aug 20, 2020

abelmathew1903 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 20, 2020 :
    I have an issue called black smearing I don't know whether you guys have notticed it
    It's painful to have such experience as it is a new phone
    It becomes severe when the brightness is minimum.

6. Kdabhi
    Donut Aug 20, 2020

Kdabhi , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 20, 2020 :
    Definately tint issue exist at lower brightness around 20-30%, especially in dark mode it's visible clearly. My device having purple tint on left portion of phone. Also black bar appear inline with camera setup.Otherwise display is awesome. Fix asap. otherwise don't marketing like it is a champ device. It is false play. Be genuine like other brand.

Fardhu8158 and Sumit_Sukhija like this.
  7. Joesef Joestar
    Gingerbread Aug 20, 2020

Joesef Joestar , Aug 20, 2020 :
    Great post and thanks for the clarification

Maybe that's why they have delayed orders all over the world...
    The hardware conception was a mistake...

8. Christo2303
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2020

9. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 21, 2020

palc , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 21, 2020 :
    Definitely a mistake. But I am also waiting to see how the users who've been the first ones to purchase the phone (including me) are going to be compensated for the issues. Don't have my hopes up, I know they're gonna do absolutely nothing about it and are such cowards that they won't even admit it. I got lucky that I don't have the black crush display tint issue but I've seen many many posts on the forum with people facing it. I can say with surety that 80% of their phones have that issue. As with the other tint patterns when tilting phone I explained in my post, that's there in 100% of their phones. I'm so stunned by the fact that MKBHD (@meatandy, tagging you coz someone legit told me you're the real MKBHD, I don't know for sure still) and other YouTubers don't talk about it at all. Back in the day a phone's bad viewing angles was something they'd always complain about.
    Also, knowing OnePlus and having used a few of their other phones, I can also say for sure they're not delaying coz they want to correct the issues, they're delaying coz they outsold the phone, they don't have units available. They're NOT going to correct any of the said issues on a hardware level. Just look at the 7, 7 Pro, 8 and 8 Pro. All of them have the black crush and nothing got fixed. Even people buying the phone now are reporting the issue. They're going to face the wrath of all these buying the Nord. Sooner or later, the brand recognition that OnePlus has earned, will fade coz of these issues and noone coming up to acknowledge the issue and apologize to the customers who helped them outsell their expectations.

10. karkyaal
    Froyo Aug 21, 2020

karkyaal , Aug 21, 2020 :
    because of this issue i had to return my device and apply for the refund !
    they have processed it and hope i will get back the money soon ! i liked the phone except the display issue

11. Q1597935270121
    Cupcake Aug 21, 2020

Q1597935270121 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 21, 2020 :
    my unit status:
    OnePlus nord 8Gb,128gb
    oxygenos 10.5.4AC01DA
    brightness between 40 to 50%

When I reduce my brightness under this range the green color tint issue starts showing.it is more noticeable when I use dark mode applications like native dialer,Chrome etc .Its my first OnePlus phone this issue is really bothering me. Can it be solved by OTA update?What should I do?

12. Joesef Joestar
    Gingerbread Aug 21, 2020

Joesef Joestar , Aug 21, 2020 :
    So true, meanwhile the competitors like Oppo, Xiaomi, Vivo... get stronger improving hardware, interface at each new iteration...
    The only reason I chose a Nord over a Poco F2 Pro with better specs and costing the same price, is the guarantee of a 2 years update + the OS...
    Now I will wait for the 9 Pro and consider what will be availble at its release in order to decide.

Thanks for your clarification.

palc likes this.
  13. Freddo_Addle , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Aug 21, 2020 :
    GREEN AND PURPLE TINT ISSUE

Answers to Questions asked by OnePlus member via Inbox

1. I face this issue everytime whenever the brightness is below 30%
    2. This issue was present before update also and issue is still present after the update.
    3. Open chrome app and open incognito mode, open phone settings and scroll, open Community app and scroll ( follow all steps with in dark environment)
    4. Both 90 hz and 60 hz.(Regular mode)
    5. Night mode was OFF.
    6. Noticable below 30% in most apps with black or grey background.
    7. shared

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=14QL1PbHHKMRNRD5KUGpLPhWJRkmPpu76

sakhilnair likes this.
  14. abelmathew1903
    Froyo Aug 21, 2020

abelmathew1903 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 21, 2020 :
    Bruv it's because of the plastic screen gaurd

15. D1540849063343
    Donut Aug 21, 2020

D1540849063343 , Aug 21, 2020 :
    Got the same issue - white screen - When viewing/tilting at different angles, parts of the screen appear as white and part with a burnt-orange tint. Changes as you move the phone around.

There is no colour uniformity when viewing at different angles!

16. jyothiram5967
    Froyo Aug 21, 2020

17. shadynit
    Gingerbread Aug 21, 2020

shadynit , Aug 21, 2020 :
    Can you please check the color tint issue, pink and green on white background as well.
    Some users also having issue on white background.
    check the video and photo: https://streamable.com/iaim7b

upload_2020-8-22_0-58-57.png

Attached Files:

18. PauloW
    Froyo Aug 22, 2020

PauloW , Aug 22, 2020 :
    BREAKING NEWS! Since about 2 days the brightness issue (brightness reduces automatically, although adaptive switch is off) is completely gone! Other Nord users in The Netherlands (my home country) have confirmed this as well.

I am very grateful, but also very curious. We haven't had any official update for the Nord since 10.5.4, but the brightness problem is gone. How is that possible? Hope @Ruqhaiya Taskeen or @Varun Penumaka can tell me.

Anyway. I'm very happy now. Thanks a lot!

suicida1 and I1596345689844 like this.
  19. Aman6299
    Cupcake Aug 22, 2020

Joesef Joestar likes this.