Do I need tempered glass for OnePlus 2?

1. sunil.nepal Gingerbread Sep 5, 2015

sunil.nepal, Sep 5, 2015 :
    I ordered OnePlus 2 yesterday along with plastic screen protector. Now I came to know that the phone comes with the pre-fitted screen protector. I just submitted a ticket to cancel that order. Lets see how it goes.

The question I wanted to ask was, should I opt for tempered glass screen protector instead? The normal screen protector should be enough for resisting pocket scratches but wont be able to save my screen if I happen to drop it. As I'm not planning to put any casing in this phone, is it risky to use it without tempered glass (given that I dropped my OnePlus One, with the Nillkin case, on the concrete floor occasionally)? The thing that I don't like about tempered glass, looking at my friends' Samsung/Apple devices with it, is that it feels thick, bulgy and uncomfortable, mostly while pressing the home button/finger scanner. Is it the same with OnePlus two as well? What should I do?

Expecting your valuable suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

2. e-minguez Cupcake Sep 5, 2015

e-minguez, Sep 5, 2015 :
    I'm thinking about the same, and removing the default plastic cover that makes the screen looks ugly :$

sunil.nepal likes this.
  3. feluda Lollipop Sep 5, 2015

feluda, Sep 5, 2015 :
    Tempered glass is always a good choice, has saved my phone couple of times.

4. jma9454 Honeycomb Sep 5, 2015

jma9454, Sep 5, 2015 :
    Well if you tamper with the glass, it might just get a temper and act up...
    (Sorry, please don't hate me; I couldn't resist. The correct terminology is tempered glass.)
    So I'm not positive, but I think that the OP2 has a raised home button, so the glass protector won't be a nuisance. (They tend to be able a third of a milliliter thick)
    Also the trend to be fairly cheap, <$10 or so.

5. Funk Wizard Lollipop Moderator Sep 5, 2015

nyzproof333 and sunil.nepal like this.
  6. jellobobbu Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2015

jellobobbu, Sep 5, 2015 :
    Better to be safe than sorry. I would get a tempered glass protector. I dropped my one the other day screen first on the sidewalk and only the metal piece got chipped on the bottom, the screen was fine when I took off the tempered glass protector. First time I ever used one and now I'm a fan of it. I don't know about the scanner thing, though.

nyzproof333, destutt and sunil.nepal like this.
  7. merewoodbebox Jelly Bean Sep 5, 2015

merewoodbebox, Sep 5, 2015 :
    You need it. When you drop your phone and it survives you'll smile. That 5.99 investment paid off 15 fold

ronyjarod, Dunestorm, Skf123 and 2 others like this.
  8. TlathamXmahtalT KitKat Sep 5, 2015

9. sunil.nepal Gingerbread Sep 5, 2015

Opps, sorry for the typo (that was not even the typo in fact ;) ) Thank you for correcting me and for the suggestion as well. So I think this is what I should do:
    -Order standard plastic protector from Oneplus.
    -Order Orzly® Glass (0.24 mm thick) over OnePlus (0.33 mm)
    -Replace the default protector by tempered glass (now I'm spelling it correctly :) )
    -If I happen to dislike it, roll back to standard OnePlus plastic cover that I ordered with the phone.

I still didn't want to waste extra dollars for experimenting :(

10. yogeshyahoo Gingerbread Sep 5, 2015

11. sunil.nepal Gingerbread Sep 5, 2015

LOL that was a typo :)

TlathamXmahtalT likes this.
  12. PoPkiss Honeycomb Sep 5, 2015

PoPkiss, Sep 5, 2015 :
    I know for a fact orzly temp glass protector is pretty good and you feel like the original glass. Way better than the plastic screen protector.
    There is a slot for the home button in the glass protector so you are good.

It's usually better to change the screen protector for $10 than trying to change your screen when you drop it or scratch it. Even gorilla glass gets scratched. So 10 bucks is worth it.

jasonf1984 and sunil.nepal like this.
  13. Kyle.Griffiths Honeycomb Sep 5, 2015

Kyle.Griffiths, Sep 5, 2015 :
    I would go with the tempered glass screen protector. It provides a lot more protection than The standard plastic ones. A good example of needing one is with my OnePlus one. I dropped it walking to work but it dropped predominantly on the front. The tempered glass screen protector smashed and there was no marks to the actual screen itself. No issues arose or anything.

sunil.nepal and #HYPEorGTFO like this.
  14. Kyle.Griffiths Honeycomb Sep 5, 2015

Kyle.Griffiths, Sep 5, 2015 :
    Also the screen protector won't feel bulky as i could never tell i had mine in my OPO and now on my lg g4

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

15. lemon07r Honeycomb Sep 5, 2015

lemon07r, Sep 5, 2015 :
    I've dropped my one a couple times. The ones that were really bad I had tempered glass on. Lost the tempered glass each time but the screen itself was left unscathed. Tempered glass is like an extra life. Plus I love the feel.

sunil.nepal likes this.
  16. sumii0626 Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2015

sumii0626, Sep 5, 2015 :
    I'm not sure how good tempered screen protectors are as of yet (plan on buying one). But I just wanted to stop by and say, ANY screen protectors aren't made essentially for protecting your phone for "dropping". Depending on the impact, it can still shatter your phone screen. Yes it protects it more than normal and henceforth the above commenters said it protected theirs, but it is not supposed to be drop proof so don't think dropping your phone even with the tempered is ok lol.. But deff buy it in my opinion! :)

sunil.nepal and jma9454 like this.
  17. jma9454 Honeycomb Sep 5, 2015

jma9454, Sep 5, 2015 :
    So @ivoler sent me this screen protector to test, and while my OP2 should be here by Tuesday, I haven't gotten a chance to actually test it on the phone of course. HOWEVER, one thing I'll note is that the hole in the top for the speaker looks large enough for the notification light and ambient light sensor, and I know there are other others that aren't (I can't remember which but I think Orzly is actually one of the culprits here).

18. sunil.nepal Gingerbread Sep 5, 2015

Yes, that sounds like wise thing to do, Thank you :)

19. shailajshri68 Gingerbread Sep 5, 2015

20. sXe Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2015

sXe, Sep 5, 2015 :
    Check this thread out. Sound familiar?

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/do-i-need-a-tampered-glass-protector.357706/#post-12999335

kaustubh121 and sumii0626 like this.