DO NOT buy the Bamboo cover (at least not if you are like me)

1. athanasios44
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

athanasios44 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Hi all,

Just want to share some opinion backed by photo evidence.
    Let me start by saying one of my top reasons for absolutely adoring this phone is how premium it feels in the hand. The feel of the glass and metal on the front, coupled with the precision fit and awesome texture of the sandstone black cover, truly make this the most premium feeling device I've ever held, even when compared to Apple products.

I have always been jealous of the Moto X for the possibility of bamboo cover, so I decided to go for it. I took off the Sandstone cover, put on the Bamboo, and I was horrified with the results. While the Bamboo itself feels very nice, and looks beautiful (especially with the silver logo), the feel of the phone becomes really cheap and gross. Keep in mind this is the opinion of someone who is really in love with the way the phone feels out of the box, so it may not apply to everyone.

Here are some pics:

1) On the top, the corner where the headphone jack is located is open enough to fit a fingernail.

IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

2) Along the top, not only is the headphone corner open, but there is a gap starting from the center all the way to the edge of the device. You can see the left side is flush and perfect, but there is a significant gap on the right side.

IMG_0042.JPG

3) The gap on top causes the entire case to be misaligned, you can see that the bottom USB port is not level with the cover.

IMG_0046.JPG

4) All the above-mentioned gaps combined, make the back cover constantly 'creak,' even with normal use. Very unpleasant.

I hope this provided some insight. Bottom line: if you don't want a creaky phone, don't buy this cover. Luckily I was able to return mine.
    And before I get hate for this: I'm not blaming OnePlus at all. They warned us about the quality of these things and we take a chance by insisting to ignore advice and buy them anyway.

Edit: Just wanted to update OP to include a similar case I found browsing the forum:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/upset-you-didnt-win-a-bamboo-back-dont-be.181275/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

2. leemartin
    Lollipop Jan 12, 2015

jjppttccbb, sh3llshock and SoniaB like this.
  3. eranm5
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

4. krusade
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

5. Majed
    Froyo Jan 12, 2015

Majed , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Thanks for your feedback, I always liked the original sandstone cover... But i still wanted to get the bamboo back cover for the sake of changing...

jjppttccbb and Marianape like this.
  6. Radeon962
    KitKat Jan 12, 2015

Radeon962 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Sure you "locked" all the fasteners down? My bamboo fits like a glove with no visible gaps.

wedad, Edbit33, stephenlotus and 4 others like this.
  7. Afzal Khan
    KitKat Jan 12, 2015

Afzal Khan , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Thrz actually no need to replace the default back cover that is Sandstone texture..which is very good at first place. I don't understand y people go by some marketing hype and not by the originality :cool:

navarde likes this.
  8. gmanphx
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

9. Lucas-123
    Donut Jan 12, 2015

Lucas-123 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I ordered my opo yesterday, i heared postive and negative things about the bamboo, should i buy it?

10. sujayjadhao
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2015

11. s3ngar22
    Froyo Jan 12, 2015

s3ngar22 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Thanks. That helped a lot. I am also considering whether or not to buy it.

12. Jamzieth

Jamzieth , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Thanks for the info. Might avoid the bamboo one then. I do love the sandstone black anyway.

13. becauseimmanual

becauseimmanual , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Maybe yours was defective, 'cause I've not seen many persons complaining about the fitment.

I bought mine half a week ago and I really hope I'll like it as much as I think I would!

wedad and pezmaister like this.
  14. athanasios44
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

athanasios44 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I am 100% sure all fasteners were locked.

I understand that there is some doubt from all and even some users citing that it fits perfect...
    Again I'll reiterate that the fit is not necessarily bad... it's just nowhere near as good as the sandstone.
    If I passed my phone to someone without mentioning anything, they would probably agree "no visible gaps." I am just really picky and for $50, i wanted it to fit as well as the sandstone.

15. webwude
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

webwude , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I have a few tiny gaps as well, but they are definitely smaller than yours - see here.

[​IMG]

16. Yossi770
    Donut Jan 12, 2015

17. Reus
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

navarde likes this.
  18. Yossi770
    Donut Jan 12, 2015

19. tmuder
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

tmuder , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Does your phone feel "creaky" or "cheap" too? This is a very interesting dilemma and I'd like to gather more information on it

bestlands likes this.
  20. Bart van den Broek
    Cupcake Jan 12, 2015

Bart van den Broek , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Maybe it will fit after a while?
    There might be a possibilty that it just needs some time to 'settle', hopefully it doesn't 'never settle' ;)