Do not disturb: Automatic regulation

1. G_Felix_Pan_RotN
    Donut Jan 1, 2018

G_Felix_Pan_RotN , Jan 1, 2018 :
    Hey folks,

I loved the feature in android 6 for regulate automaticly the do not disturb mode. It is extremly useful and I was kind of impressed when I found out that this feature is implemented in Android itself. Personally, I use this feature for school, so my smartphone is automaticly silent while classes.

Since Christmas, I own a Oneplus 5t and until now I absolutely love the device but I miss the "Do Not disturb: Automatic Regulation" feature in Oxygen OS 4.7.6 and I wonder why it is not implemented. I thought: maybe the reason for that is the Allert Slider - of which I am a big fan - but I would love to see an update, maybe with Oxygen OS 5.0, where this feature is implemented. It would be great to see such an update coming soon. Or if I was just too silly to find the feature in the settings, a little hint or even better a detaild description how and where to find it would be very nice XD.

Felix

2. ravidavi
    Eclair Jan 2, 2018

ravidavi , Jan 2, 2018 :
    Yeah I also miss the Do Not Disturb automatic rules from stock Android. You're right, it apparently it was removed from Oxygen so as to not get out of sync with the physical switch.

I wish they would bring it back, but am not holding my breath because the potential UI conflict is probably a big deal from OnePlus's point of view. If you do a Google search you'll find people who got around it by using 3rd party apps or launchers.

G_Felix_Pan_RotN likes this.
  3. nickhell
    Gingerbread Jan 2, 2018

4. xeon101
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2018

xeon101 , Jan 2, 2018 :
    really miss timer feature....

5. AqeebMohammed
    Honeycomb Jan 2, 2018

AqeebMohammed , Jan 2, 2018 :
    Truly it's not possible to keep both, the alert slider and the regulator, for an example if the alert slider is at lowest position and you might be thinking it's in ringer mode at outdoor but you you come to that device is silent mode, how can you justify if it is ringing or silent mode? Who would you blame then

6. ravidavi
    Eclair Jan 3, 2018

ravidavi , Jan 3, 2018 :
    Actually I think there is a way to have both the alert slider and automated rules. The trick is to implement the alert slider as a MINIMUM ALLOWABLE alert setting, and the automated rules can only further restrict alerts.

For example:
    * Alert slider bottom (minimum "Ring" mode) ==> Rules can set Ring/DND/Silent.
    * Alert slider middle (minimum "DND" mode) ==> Rules can set DND/Silent. Any rule setting Ring is ignored.
    * Alert slider top (minimum "Silent" mode) ==> Rules can only set Silent. Any rule setting Ring/DND is ignored.

With this setup, every use-case makes sense. I can create a rule that sets DND at night then reverts back to Ring in the morning. This rule will work as expected with the slider on Ring mode. Now if I decide want to sleep in tomorrow morning I just flip the slider to DND and that will override my sleep rule until I wake up and flip the slider back down to Ring.

Similarly, if I go into a meeting at work I can flip the slider to Silent and it will override any active rule until I leave the meeting and flip the switch back to Ring.

The good thing about this setup is that every automated rule you create is intentional and explicit. So your use-case of "alert switch on Ring mode but phone is in Silent mode" now makes sense, because that can only happen if you had intentionally created a rule to set Silent mode.

G_Felix_Pan_RotN likes this.