Do OnePlus live wallpapers cause battery to drain faster? via OnePlus 6T

1. Amber Mustafa
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2020

2. harshil1903
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 14, 2020

3. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Feb 14, 2020

camohan , Feb 14, 2020 :
    Live wallpapers keep running and therefore they naturally use more resources as compared to a static wallpaper, leading to more battery drain.
    But i guess the battery drain difference would not be alarming.

4. ngydat
    KitKat Feb 14, 2020

ngydat , Feb 14, 2020 :
    Not just One Plus live wallpapers. Live wallpapers in general of course drain more battery than static wallpapers

5. V1571511984706
    Cupcake Feb 14, 2020

V1571511984706 , Feb 14, 2020 :
    Yes, and because as live wallpapers depend on your phone's CPU and GPU for rendering purpose they will consume battery.

6. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Feb 14, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Feb 14, 2020 :
    Literally anything a smartphone (or any portable computing device) does consumes battery power. I don't think live wallpaper is one of the greedier battery hogs; but if you're optimizing for battery life, then all the little savings add up.

It's kind of like designing an airplane. The airframe is full of "lightening holes," which are holes and gaps drilled or designed into the airframe expressly to reduce the weight of the aircraft. Looking at any one of the holes, you can't help but scratch your head and wonder how the few grams of weight saved by drilling that particular hole make any difference at all. But when you add up all the holes, the combined weight savings make a big difference.

I'm a battery miser, so I wouldn't even think of turning on live wallpapers. But I doubt it consumes more than 1 to 3 percent over a charge cycle. If you like the feature, turn it on for a charge cycle, check the detailed usage, and then decide whether it's worth it to you, on your phone. In the end, that's all that matters.

Richard