Do people avoid phones from Chinese companies?

1. mydroid
    KitKat Jan 12, 2015

mydroid , Jan 12, 2015 :
    if Oneplus made a waterproof phone Thailand would be a great place to do the ad...

pushkaljn likes this.
  2. pushkaljn
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

pushkaljn , Jan 12, 2015 :
    The advertisement might become famous..lol..

3. cyclopsoz
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

4. Mr. Hn
    Eclair Jan 12, 2015

Mr. Hn , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Back in my country, people do prefer mainstream phones rather than chinese phones but it's more because of propaganda and publicity. I bet that if any chinese company would put more on their propaganda then people would prefer to buy them. I do like chinese phones, same specifications and quality for a better price.

krshnaan likes this.
  5. krshnaan
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

krshnaan , Jan 12, 2015 :
    What matters is the product and aftersales support. If a Chinese company can produce a world class product and stand behind it, why not buy it? Its not as if all non Chinese companies/products are superlative

Mr. Hn likes this.
  6. rkattar
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

rkattar , Jan 12, 2015 :
    People are slowly getting confidence in Chinese branded phones, albeit many of them being copycats (few exceptions such as OPO and OPPO having original designs). They are very competitive and bringing out the best features at low cost. Name the number of the Chinese smartphone makers and it you can easily count nearly a dozen (and still growing).

7. jasonladniak
    Donut Jan 12, 2015

jasonladniak , Jan 12, 2015 :
    My note 3 was made in Korea so.......... Idk if some are manufactured in china but I can tell you most parts are from Korea if not the whole phone. Many times if your battery says China on it , it was replaced and is third party. Lmk if anyone knows otherwise but As far I can tell genuine notes had korean batteries while third party "china"

8. acehighdan
    Froyo Jan 12, 2015

acehighdan , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Its very simple....
    a lot of people see chinese products as sub par/mediocre/knock offs/bad quality etc etc....
    i remember a time when there were some some children's toys manufactured in china that had lead paint and then there were massive recalls... then there was a media frenzy knocking any product that comes from china... i dont know the full story behind the lead paint, as far as i know... the company could have been an American company that just cut costs at every turn and ordered the paint to be lead to cut costs, but.... because it was in china, its china that gets the blow.....
    im just speculating there, but what i do know is that it doesnt matter where a product comes from, the only thing that matters is the end product... Is it a product i would want to buy?
    Bad: child labor, slave labor, employees treated poorly, bad customer service
    Good: price is respectable, company backs their product(s), employees are treated well, company aspires to become even better
    perhaps im ignorant, but so far, from oneplus, i have only seen the good, and dont see any of the bad.

9. m.pratham
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

10. bharat117
    Froyo Jan 12, 2015

bharat117 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. That is why this is an open forum. Don't be a glib.

11. Manico
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

Manico , Jan 12, 2015 :
    not mentioning I work in the remote controlled garage trade...Doors comes from Germany..Excellent product...Motors No..best I buy and reliable from China..so how do you explain that.....No offence to anyone

12. adm770
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2015

adm770 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    there still people want only mainstream known brand
    i wait to the new s6... etc..

13. AndytoWood
    Cupcake Jan 12, 2015

AndytoWood , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I feel like people just expect it to be low quality or a knock off due to poor reputation.

14. kyw012
    Eclair Jan 12, 2015

kyw012 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    The biggest concern for me is if my data in my OP1 will be uploaded to the CHINA government server

15. tsfaeth
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

tsfaeth , Jan 12, 2015 :
    They shouldn't, I'm sure almost all phones are made in China or a neighboring Asian country

16. dBm
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

dBm , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Oh, I'm sure lots of people do.

They sure seem totally fine with having American SoCs in their phones, though. Not like there's room for shitloads of backdoors in closed-source baseband firmware or anything. :v

17. sodapopjam
    Cupcake Jan 12, 2015

sodapopjam , Jan 12, 2015 :
    It's more about status, and some people think branded phones are not chinese phones. However, I do believe branded phones are better in that they back up their product's quality. It all depends on what kind of chinese phone you're getting.

18. Duane_Stephen
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

19. niemancj
    Honeycomb Jan 13, 2015

niemancj , Jan 13, 2015 :
    A few of my interactions with people regarding my OPO:

Me: It's a OnePlus One.
    Person 1: A what?

Me: I have a OnePlus One. Do you know what that is?
    Person 2: Is that a Samsung?

My wife: Oh, maybe your phone is so cheap because it's made in China?
    Me: Do you know where your iPhone was made?
    My wife: No.
    Me: It was made in China. All iPhones are made in China. Most smart phones are made in China.

20. kckulkarni
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2015