Do we think removing the headphone jack from the Oneplus 6T is a good idea?

?

Is removing the headphone jack from the OP6T a good idea?

1. No

185 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. Yes

32 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Don't care

34 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. DavidYoho
    Froyo Sep 15, 2018

DavidYoho , Sep 15, 2018 :
    OnePlus is not the brand to go for if sound is your top priority...maybe LG? l use OnePlus devices for there software.

2. Eustacio Sealy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 15, 2018

Eustacio Sealy , Sep 15, 2018 :
    You can still use your headphones because they will a adapter in the box, well all of those that wanted to use the type C port for headphones can be happy

3. Balvas
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2018

Balvas , Sep 16, 2018 :
    I can't believe that oneplus decided to lose the headphone jack. Its a really big mistake and a guaranteed sale reducer. The reason given by oneplus was 59%of their community already owned wireless headphones. Owned does not mean used. Absolutely everyone prefers a wired headset for long use and better sound quality and compatibility.
    BIG MISTAKE ONEPLUS... BIG MISTAKE!

4. Aks41179
    Jelly Bean Sep 16, 2018

Aks41179 , Sep 16, 2018 :
    Why are you worried about oneplus sales? Absolutely not everyone prefers wired..
    If you think it's a mistake, don't buy.. That's it.

5. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Sep 16, 2018

toastytoast1234 , Sep 16, 2018 :
    That must have been a pretty huge survey you conducted to make a claim like that.

6. xnutzii
    Lollipop Sep 16, 2018

xnutzii , Sep 16, 2018 :
    as toasty and aks said, not everyone prefers wired headphones, on the one hand, I like the convenience to have a jack, tho I don't mind not having one too, since I can buy Bluetooth headphones with great quality as well, (not as good as wired of course, but you wouldn't notice the difference with a phone's sound chip,) and I wouldn't mind charging it, since I wouldn't use the phone 10 hours in one session. And I would sacrifice the jack for a bigger battery tbh.

toastytoast1234, Matt 80 and Aks41179 like this.
  7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Sep 16, 2018

dsmonteiro , Sep 16, 2018 :
    You don't need a survey to say that not everyone prefers wired. You just need to know one person that doesn't.

DavidYoho, Matt 80 and Aks41179 like this.
  8. MicBrutus69
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2018

9. Matt 80
    Lollipop Sep 16, 2018

DavidYoho, Herbert_Lagos and Aks41179 like this.
  10. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Sep 16, 2018

camohan , Sep 16, 2018 :
    Thread merged.

11. PTuT
    Jelly Bean Sep 16, 2018

PTuT , Sep 16, 2018 :
    What a rubbish statement. There were some technologies (betacam) that were minimally used and, therefore, died off. Phone jack is not one of those. Replacing it with usb-c audio is something that one unnamed but well known company came with and some other companies blindly followed. There is large number of fine headphones for normal jack (btw, do you see audio jack in general being gone from professional audio industry?) in comparison to relatively few usb-c headphones (and many of them crappy).

And, sorry to say it but I see here only one idiot and I am just looking at his post.

Just look at responses here and how many people liked them, and that itself tells the story.

f1982 and TanmayShreshth like this.
  12. I1518923098118
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2018

I1518923098118 , Sep 16, 2018 :
    No!!!

A big no!!

Seriously, Never do such a thing. There is so much to do except removing the 3.5 audio jack.

Please bring the baseless display, go for a wireless charger.. Please do not follow / copy the iPhone trend. There is a lot of expectations from one plus.

13. George MartinAbel
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2018

George MartinAbel , Sep 16, 2018 :
    I'd rather have improvements to the phone than keep a headphone jack. If I want to listen to music or a webcast I'll use a pair of USB-C headphones or wireless. Worst case there's an adaptor for USB-C to a headphone jack. The headphone jack is just one aspect of a phone design and for me personally I will forsake that for a phone which is better overall. That isn't everybody's take but we all have different priorities and look for different things from a phone.

Another one for me will be monthly security updates, like the Nexus 6P, that I have at the moment. When the 6T launches it may well be my first foray into OnePlus territory. My previous excursions away from Nexus/Google were not very good, i.e. a Verizon/LG debacle, but I'm hoping OP will be different. We'll see at the beginning of October with the Pixel 3 and OP6T launches what happens and UK pricing.

Cheers, GM-A

14. G_shiva_Yannam_ENBN
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2018

15. Exia_97
    Froyo Sep 16, 2018

Exia_97 , Sep 16, 2018 :
    +1

I just don't get the apologists here mocking the people who are complaining. Sorry not sorry that we value our hard earned money. If I'm spending my money, I have every right to be as critical as I want to be about it.

When you say nothing and just accept things as status quo, you're basically telling a company to keep ramming up your rear end and you'll keep asking for more. This is essentially Apple in a nut shell. They charge crazy amounts of money for an inferior product, but idiotic fan boys keep telling Apple I'll take what you're shoving up my butt and then some. Apple can keep on doing whatever they want.

Yes, our complaints might fall on deaf ears, but if as a community tell oneplus we're unhappy with our wallets, you'd bet they'd start to listen.

Gamboaco, Skaug, PTuT and 1 other person like this.
  16. G_Jerry_Giardina_sxNB
    Donut Sep 16, 2018

G_Jerry_Giardina_sxNB , Sep 16, 2018 :

Rakesh_Kumar_T_ likes this.
  17. TanmayShreshth
    Gingerbread Sep 16, 2018

TanmayShreshth , Sep 16, 2018 :
    Well, headphone jack will probably be obsolete in the future, but I doubt whether now is the time to get rid of it. Although having an adapter bundled with the OnePlus 6T (I've been hearing this) for wired headphones would be good.

18. ArielCharMX
    Eclair Sep 16, 2018

ArielCharMX , Sep 16, 2018 :
    THE ANSWER IS NO.

Now, OP has no competitive advantage in the market..

Their founding 'value proposition' is to """""NEVER SETTLE""""" with low prices, just the high-end specs that the market care the most

Now they are """only settle-ing""" (higher prices, notch, no-jack)

[e]1f44b[/e]Byebye OP, Xiaomi is on your heels

19. Randy_Chu
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2018

Randy_Chu , Sep 16, 2018 :
    I hope this hits home with OnePlus when pretty avid supporters of the brand refuses to buy the 6T because they chose to remove the headphone jack. Intoducing a type-c dongle is not innovative when you're taking what was a standard feature integrated within a phone and letting it flop around on the exterior of the body.
    Though Bluetooth headphones have entered the mainstream, it has it's limitations in its battery life (both in daily use and shelf life) and audio quality.
    OnePlus has put its audiophile community in a bit of a crux here. Oneplus might find their once loyal customer base flocking to competitors under two basis: 1) OnePlus device prices has creeped to a point where they're charging almost the same price as other competitor's flagships while offering slightly less features. 2) 3.5mm jack users will simply find another competitor that does offer it in their phones.
    Though I'm certain OnePlus is already committed to this change on the 6T, I hope the community backlash will revert this decision on the next iteration.

Aristo_de_melo_99 likes this.
  20. Aristo_de_melo_99
    Froyo Sep 16, 2018

Aristo_de_melo_99 , Sep 16, 2018 :
    Please OnePlus don't take away the headphone jack!
    I won't be able to listen music and connect my phone to the power bank at the same time![e]1f622[/e]
    We love OnePlus because y'all always give us options, please continue to do so and give us the option wether we want to hear music from the headphone jack or the type-c connector.
    Never Settle [e]1f525[/e]