do you think Samsung and Apple worry about OnePlus

1. justyfier
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

2. swent
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

swent , May 21, 2014 :
    No, why should hey? Sales numbers of OPO are nearly non existant compared to Samsung/Apple devices. Maybe the next phone will attrackt a greater user base, then the big guys have something to worry about.

3. acswild3
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

acswild3 , May 21, 2014 :
    I do not think either company is worried yet. OPO is a small fish right now. Even if it sells 150,000 during the first version, thats just a drop in the bucket. However, a year from now or 2, I think both companies needs to watch their backs. Taking over the world doesnt happen over night. :)

4. 313photography
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

313photography , May 21, 2014 :
    I think for now no I don't think Samsung and apple worry, because now just tech people know about one plus one , but in few years its gonna be a something big

5. spareblues
    Cupcake May 21, 2014

spareblues , May 21, 2014 :
    most of the post have already answered well the question.
    One thing that sets OPO apart is it's philosophy and approach, so I think that you guys will have to run like an underground river for awhile gathering the momentum, and as long as you keep reinventing, once you do pop up to the surface there is a good chance to flood a serious portions of the market.
    I think the strategy is "enter through the side door", focusing on developing new, or growing, markets rather than biting into the existing saturated markets. Concretely, these would be the markets of new developing economies, and I mean primarily African, eastern European, south American and India.

6. Rodjeur
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

Rodjeur , May 21, 2014 :
    I think opo is a good thing for market and it could worry sg and apple if opo sold lots of phones....but they dont.....thats difficult to get one.....so far from changing the word settle with actual products..

7. dandrews
    Froyo May 21, 2014

dandrews , May 21, 2014 :
    I think the have 0 worries of the OPO, but I think One Plus as a company might give them cause to rethink some things. If One Plus takes off and provides an awesome phone for around half the price of their flagship's, they will eat into other companies market share.

8. Nickname
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

Nickname , May 21, 2014 :
    Mighty Oaks grow from tiny acorns ... ... all the major companies would be foolish not to keep a watching brief on OnePlus. They could make a major impact if they succeed over the next three years. Certainly this first design is iconic yet so simple in style.

9. Is two
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2014

Is two , May 21, 2014 :
    Only time will tell and its up to OnePlus if they want to make it big and if they have the financial backing.

10. NINJA_GREY
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

NINJA_GREY , May 21, 2014 :
    Apple caters to a different market, although I do find it interesting to see the how many iOS users (or previous users) there are in these forums. Then again most of the previous Apple users in the forum stated they used Android prior to iOS, averaging a 2-3 year contract and how long Android has been around I deduce that they flop between brands every 3 years upon renewal not showing any loyalty to one brand, but whatever is cool, and Apple is now an aged platform...

Sorry for that got stuck in a loop! Lol

So I would say HTC is the most nervous due to them relying more dominantly on mobile sales. LG and SONY are next to be less nervous as mobile is only one division.

What you may / may not know is that Samsung's main business is selling components. So they release a killer phone spec'd up to hell, selling it for a profit, consumers want either their flagship or an a competing model. The competing companies all want the same components this in turn drives up the prices for components and Samsung makes even more money, and consumers have the illusion of free choice.

Then there is the fact that Samsung makes other great products. So no, I wouldn't worry about Samsung or Apple.

P.S. The only company that scares Samsung is Huwai. They are Samsung's main competition in APAC and they are backed by the Chinese government. They also sell components and make cheap tablets.

My apologies to everyone in the forum for this long message. I hope I have you some useful information at least. :)

ez_going likes this.
  11. drnarinder
    Cupcake May 21, 2014

12. jihuili
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

13. Enigma

14. dcman
    Froyo May 21, 2014

dcman , May 21, 2014 :
    Nether one would/is worried about the OPO, and if they were they just buy them out or sue them to death.

15. kroug005
    Honeycomb May 21, 2014

kroug005 , May 21, 2014 :
    I don't think so. If millions of people had this phone, then yes, but so far only 100 people have it, Samsung and apple worry about substantial numbers.

kekebe16 likes this.
  16. yahdee
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

yahdee , May 21, 2014 :
    I wouldn't say they are gonna worry, but take notice yes. You have to remember that Samsung also makes "budget" friendly handsets, but nothing that can compare to the Oneplus One. As a result, they definitely have to take notice, especially when Oneplus starts eating into their sales at that level

17. misfit000
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

misfit000 , May 21, 2014 :
    Not now.If OP can stay in business and keep the price of their products relatively low,they will cause many folks to question the costs of a flagship unit.OP may affect the market by pushing down the prices of cellphones.Maybe it's wishful thinking.....but ya never know.

18. AngelArs

AngelArs , May 21, 2014 :
    Don't forget nokia, LG and HTC.... They're all on Valium and Xanax too by now...

19. Bash_Toks
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

Bash_Toks , May 21, 2014 :
    Its like in GAME OF THRONES. The Iron throne is aware of a Targeryen threat but are not that bothered about it just yet. :)

20. ez_going
    Gingerbread May 21, 2014

ez_going , May 21, 2014 :
    I think they should. Especially Samsung. But mostly in general about wave of Chinese companies getting on Western markets. There is a such a level of competition and innovation going on in China right now. It is like a gold rush. Gazillion of companies mostly using MediaTek processors. Year or two ago I would not touch Chinese phone. It was complete junk. But look what is going on now. Check ********** and lower end market phones. If you try you can get normal dual core phone starting from $75 bucks. This is amazing. It will actually work. You know what it means? That millions of young and talented kids in third world can actually buy hardware they could not afford before and start making some very cool applications. Companies start designing systems for markets that exploding expanentially etc.Look population of India is 1.27 billion people as I recall. Billionnnnn. It is 1270 millions. US is 316. Capish? And majority are young.

In month or two we should see tons of phones based on MTK6595. It is octacore with LTE support. Cheap too. http://blog.gsmarena.com/a-talk-with-jeffrey-ju-from-mediatek/

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/04/02/everything-need-know-mediatek-mt6595-processor/

"What the MT6595 means for Chinese phones
    The MT6595 is big news for smaller Chinese phone makers and means that they will finally be able to produce phones with similar performance to Qualcomm’s top of the range 800 series processors. It also means that the next wave of Android smartphones out of China for Q4 could be equipped with such features as 2K QHD displays, more RAM than before, 20 mega-pixel cameras and 4G LTE!"

Chinese gonna slaughter top tier companies. Top guys became so lazy All they do is to market. Biggest news from Samsung lately: build in hearth rate monitor and waterproofing. Really???.....

Last edited: May 21, 2014

docwon likes this.