Answered Does Android Pie in Oneplus 6 support call recording?

1. swapnilpr
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

swapnilpr , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Just received the Pie update on my OP6 today and I am concerned if the call recording is there or not. Can any beta user confirm this before I update.

Anyone who have already updated this, please answer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

2. Sun90
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Sep 26, 2018

Sun90 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Hello and welcome to OnePlus community.

No.
    Call recording feature support as native is removed by Google with Android pie for now.
    So one can only rely upon 3rd party apps from play store for it.

Any further questions for now.

3. swapnilpr
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

With the Android 9 Google have completely removed the support for call recording even with third party apps. Oneplus being an OEM maybe able to provide this feature. Have you used the Android 9 in OP6?

4. Sun90
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Sep 26, 2018

Sun90 , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Oneplus oxygenOS is pretty close to Google Android software with only a minor tweaks to provide near stock experience to its user's.
    And this hasn't got anything to do with me using a OnePlus 6 or not for now.

5. swapnilpr
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2018

There are some major changes too like support for parallel apps, inbuilt applocker, etc.
    And if you had used the OP6 with Android 9 then I would be sure that whatever you are saying is 100% correct.

6. regins
    Donut Oct 16, 2018

regins , Oct 16, 2018 :
    The problem with removing the feature is that we were not warned that the update would limit the functionality of the phone.

Firstly OnePlus are not to decide for me if I want to break the law. Ford also make cars that can go faster than speed limits in most countries. Yet, as there's no limit in Germany, the cars can go faster than 130KM/H. Here, in Denmark, there may be reasons why it's legal to record. Secondly there may be reasons why something that initially was not legal may be accepted by the court if the issue to be documented is serious enough. I need it becuase the taxman (Danish Customs & Excise) does illegal tings, and as I said in court last time when the judge was about to tell me that it may not be legal: C&E have bought stolen goods to use in court proving tax fraud. When they do illegal stuff, of course I can use "illegal" recordings to prove they do. C&Es lawyer was mumbeling and would not look me into my eyes.

There may be reasons why you /have to/ record and I have bought a phone to do this. OnePlus are NOT entitled to remove features witout warning me that updating the phone will do this but simply push the update in a way that you can hardly refuse it.

I will, if this is not solved in a decent manner, take them to court for vandalism against /my/ property.

Ronan#68 likes this.
  7. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Oct 16, 2018

stark2991_PL , Oct 16, 2018 :
    Firstly, Google removed it, not OnePlus
    Secondly, try to enable built-in call recording with this app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jroot3d.joneplustools

8. regins
    Donut Oct 17, 2018

regins , Oct 17, 2018 :
    Can we agree that this was an update pushed by OnePlus and that it said nothing about loss of functionality in the description? "Minor bugfixes" and then something about a new launcher, if I remember correctly.

Also there are loads of bugs in this update. One is that if you set an alarm, you get an audible notification two hours before the alarm. It has then been suggested that you can turn off notifications for the clock app, but when you do so, the alarm sounds without any option to make it shut up. Only way is to enter the clock app, turn off the said alarm and then turn it on again. The update is mildly said made by amateurs. When you request a way to go back, you'll either have to send in your phone, miss it for 3 weeks and get your data wiped. Or you can allow OnePlus remote access to your PC as ADMIN and allow them to wipe your data. You can also do it yourself - and wipe your data. The OP Switch app will NOT back up your own app data, only OP app data and theres no warning for this at all. It simply sucks.

Ronan#68 likes this.
  9. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Oct 17, 2018

Gav_W86 , Oct 17, 2018 :
    If the API is changed/removed by Google there is not necessarily much OnePlus can do about it. You can put feedback to OnePlus via https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/ if you feel so strongly.

Re alarm - you don't have to turn off the notification for clock, you just change the behaviour to "Show Silently" (in notification options for Clock app tap the text that says clock - not the check box - and tap Behaviour, change this from "Make sound and pop up on screen" to "show silently" - still shows, just doesn't make noise.

Reverting to previous Android builds (on every device I have used) requires a wipe and complete reflash.

10. regins
    Donut Oct 17, 2018

regins , Oct 17, 2018 :
    I don't care who changed the API. OnePlus push the update to me. OnePlus have to make sure I know what the consequenses of accepting the update are. BMW can't be held responsible if you choose to use one of their cars as a ram, you can.

Ronan#68 likes this.
  11. Gav_W86

Gav_W86 , Oct 17, 2018 :
    "you can" - this is a community forum of users, you are not talking to OnePlus here, as I said, if you want to feedback directly to OnePlsu use the link.

12. regins
    Donut Oct 17, 2018

regins , Oct 17, 2018 :
    You is as in "you" not OP because the company can't use a car as a ram. When OP pushes the update /they/ are responsible of the issues this may cause.

If they push an update that will remove functions the least they could - and should - do is to inform about this in the description, which they did not. Hence the liability.

Ronan#68 likes this.
  13. stark2991_PL
    KitKat Oct 17, 2018

stark2991_PL , Oct 17, 2018 :
    You are reading changelog for a new Oxygen OS version. In that version they added Android Pie and fixed some stuff. They listed only this things, which they modified. Android Pie has its own changelog and listing all of the changes in a Oxygen OS changelog makes no sense.

14. Gav_W86

Gav_W86 , Oct 17, 2018 :
    what liability? there is no promise of the provision of the feature. Don't remember ever seeing it advertised as such.

15. dam76
    Eclair May 18, 2019