Does OP5 work properly in Canada ?

1. Grolan
    Cupcake Sep 4, 2017

Grolan , Sep 4, 2017 :
    I am with Freedom - no contract (month-by-month).

Would like to buy an OP5, but I heard that does not work properly with 4G (band 66 issue).

Is this issue only with Freedom or also with Bell/Rogers ?

Once I decide to buy the OP5, I would like to stick with Freedom - if your feedbacks are positive - since I go to US almost every month.

But have the option of switching to:
    Rogers or Bell (my wife - a teacher - gets 30% discount there - more or less 60-65$/mo on a 2gb plan).

Any suggestions pls ? Should I :
    1. Buy an OP5 and go with Freedom ?
    2. Buy an OP5 and go with Rogers? Bell?
    3. Forget about OP5 and go with S8+ and choose Freedom or Bell/Rogers ? Does LTE/G4 works Ok on Freedom ?

George

2. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2017

AlexandreP , Sep 5, 2017 :
    Hi Grolan!

I personnally am on Rogers, and have a OP5 since a couple of days. I did not notice any performance issue or network stability. Though I don't have any recent phone at hand to compare network speed, and validate if the OP5 has decent performances. But does it work on Rogers? yes.

As for Freedom Mobile, there is a thread where people seem to still have issue with band 66 for LTE. As of update 4.5.14, Band 66 should now be supported for 4G on Freedom. Most have reported, though, that after the update to latest release, you have to wipe cache for better connectivity performances.
    Cf. OxygenOS 4.5.14 OTA for the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5 - Freedom Mobile (Wind) - 4G/LTE

What you should do is based on your opinion and priorities, I guess we are not here to decide for yourself. ;) If you want to be sure a phone works on your carrier of choice, the best bet would be to buy the device directly from it. On the other hand, OnePlus allows you to send back a device in the next 15 days after delivery if you're not satisfied (cf. http://oneplus.net/ca_en/support/answer/return-and-replacement-policy), so nothing against trying a OP5 by yourself.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017

3. 3p1phany
    Donut Sep 6, 2017

Faraztp and Barinder Atwal like this.
  4. piotrick
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2017

piotrick , Sep 11, 2017 :
    Definitely issues with Freedom. If you want 4G, you have to toggle airplane mode on and off. That being said, it works fine with their existing AWS 3G/H/H+ network. It can definitely be fixed with a software update, just that there seems to be no interest in doing so by both OnePlus and Freedom. I have been in contact with both companies without any luck.

Faraztp and EricPick like this.
  5. Kushinata
    Froyo Sep 13, 2017

Kushinata , Sep 13, 2017 :
    Except for the 4G/Freedom option, I'd pick your device independently from your carrier. Both the Rogers and the Telus/Bell networks work fine with the OP5.

6. Prof Kaos
    Cupcake Nov 1, 2017

Prof Kaos , Nov 1, 2017 :
    So it should work properly with Koodo's LTE then, seeing as how they're on the Telus network, right?

7. Kushinata
    Froyo Nov 2, 2017

Kushinata , Nov 2, 2017 :
    Correct.

8. AlexandreP
    Honeycomb Nov 4, 2017

ajferns97 likes this.
  9. ajferns97
    Eclair Nov 10, 2017

ajferns97 , Nov 10, 2017 :
    Yes, it works fine with Freedom Mobile.

It was Freedom mobile that had to upgrade their systems. I recently got an email saying that my network package has been upgraded and LTE is included. So far, I am enjoying the fast 4g internet at work.

Barinder Atwal likes this.
  10. Barinder Atwal
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2017

Barinder Atwal , Dec 7, 2017 :
    So it does work with Fido that's great to know!

11. MayankBadhan
    Donut Dec 12, 2017

MayankBadhan , Dec 12, 2017 :
    So Freedom or Shaw mobile is new and doesn't have that many towers available (due to the big 3 not allowing it) and you may experience no coverage or shoddy coverage so its not the phones fault but the service provider. my gf has fido op 5 and no issues in terms of service. yes you will loose service if you go out of area or if you are in an elevator but other than that you are golden. personally I have the 4gb $40 with fido so im happy but the service is not great due to towers not being available at my work but if you have the money then go with Telus you will not be upset. full bars wherever I went. yes it is expensive but that is if you are able to afford it. if your wife does get discount for bell then do it..see if you can do a family share everything plan and go through Costco mobile (in store) you won't be disappointed. let me know if you have any more questions. if you enjoyed the message head on over to my youtube channel your subscription would mean the world!

12. joshboone22
    Gingerbread Jan 5, 2018

joshboone22 , Jan 5, 2018 :
    I would recommend going with a new OnePlus 5, and with Rogers. I am currently on this, and it has been amazing so far.

13. Wayne49
    Donut Jan 14, 2018

Wayne49 , Jan 14, 2018 :
    I have a 1+ 5T, received it 21st of December. I'm on Rogers. I moved my sim from a nexus 5X, and have had no problems with the 5T on the Rogers network. The only difference I notice with wireless is 1+ uses 4G to indicate network connection whereas the 5X used LTE.

14. Ghislain Michaud
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

Ghislain Michaud , Jan 15, 2018 :
    I am using a 1+5 in Canada with Virgin (Bell) with no problem for 5 months

prd068 likes this.
  15. AnEverydayAlice
    Eclair Mar 7, 2018

AnEverydayAlice , Mar 7, 2018 :
    You should be fine with Koodo/Telus, Bell/Virgin, and Rogers/Fido as they all run on the same/similar networks. Wind/Freedom and some of the smaller city-based companies actually run on a different frequency which can cause issues with certain phones.

You can view the frequency/network information on the Freedom Wikipedia Page in the phone support section

cdnfarmer likes this.