Does the OnePlus 7 support DP alt mode ? via OnePlus 7

1. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

Olomorn , via OnePlus 7 , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Hi everyone, I would like to buy an Ethernet to USB C adapter for my OnePlus 7, but the seller tells me that my phone needs to have either Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C with support for "DP alt mode". Do you think I can buy this one? If not this one, do you know if there is one available? Will I be able to share my connection with the WiFi hotspot? Thanks in advance!

2. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

Artemus. , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Don't think it supports this.

Batman360 and Olomorn like this.
  3. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

4. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

Artemus. , Jul 1, 2020 :
    It does however support USB-C to HDMI, apparently. What are you trying to accomplish?

Batman360 likes this.
  5. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

Exactly what I said : use an Ethernet adapter. I found one that seemed fine but the seller told me that my phone needs this feature (the dp alt thing), so if you know an adapter that would work, I'm all ears :p

6. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 1, 2020 :
    If the settings are to be believed, it does support ethernet over USB C.

Batman360 and Artemus. like this.
  7. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

Artemus. , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Any reason you need an Ethernet adapter? Not happy with WiFi speeds or need a more stable connection?

Batman360 likes this.
  8. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

It's a bit complicated to explain, but basically I live in a place where the only internet connection is via Ethernet (no WiFi and really really weak and unstable 4G/3G connection), so i would like to connect my phone via Ethernet and sometimes use it as a WiFi hotspot for my laptop (which also have a usb c connection which is nice)

9. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

10. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 1, 2020 :
    On the other hand, can't you just buy a wifi router and be free of wires? Ac1200 ones are really good and pretty cheap.

11. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

My situation is a bit specific, but to elaborate a bit more, I am living in a hotel for a few weeks and I have to use the hotel Ethernet connection, and it's clearly specified that I am forbidden from using a router, and I really would like to avoid annoying anyone (or worse: paying a fine lol). And since the Ethernet port is rather far prom the bed and i would *love* to use my laptop there, using my phone as a hotspot would be great !

12. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Oh damn😂
    In this case, the best thing to do is get an ethernet extension cable, plug it in your laptop and use it as a wifi hotspot. I'm not so sure about the phon . Why take the chance.

13. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

Well, my laptop does not have an Ethernet port either, so in the better case, both my phone and my laptop can use the adapter, in the worst case, only my laptop can but I need it anyway lol. The question was mainly to know if the specific adapter that I wanted was compatible...

14. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 1, 2020 :
    If not for phone, this should definitely work for laptops.
    "Dell Adapter- USB-C to Ethernet (PXE Boot) | Dell USA" https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-adapter-usb-c-to-ethernet-pxe-boot/apd/470-abnd/pc-accessories

This is the one I use at my work. Also, you can try the ones from belkin, anker, etc.

Batman360 likes this.
  15. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

Thanks for the recommendations! The Dell one seems a bit on the expensive side though, but have you tried it on your phone? [e]1f604[/e]
    Else, I'm gonna buy an Anker one, I rather trust this brand.
    Thanks!

16. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 1, 2020

B_Wrath , Jul 1, 2020 :
    I actually didn't try the dell on the phone. But i use that at multiple aio and pc to create an IoT ecosystem at work.

Olomorn likes this.
  17. J_Duece_81
    Gingerbread Jul 4, 2020 at 2:00 AM

J_Duece_81 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jul 4, 2020 at 2:00 AM :
    Okay so I think I understand what is being asked here, if not please correct me. The OP wants to be able to run an Ethernet cable to his phone to provide his data connection and then use it as a hotspot for other devices? Is this this even possible? I know you can share the phone's data if your provider allows it via cable but for me if I do that it comes out of my hotspot data even though it's not using WiFi. Besides all of that confusion, wouldn't this be extremely taxing on the phone hardware. Importing an external signal via cable and then distributing it over wifi. They might flag the connection as a router regardless due to the amount of data the OP would be using, right?

18. Olomorn
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM

Olomorn , via OnePlus 7 , Jul 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM :
    You understand correctly! Also, I don't think they can "flag" anything (but I may be wrong), but I just do not want to take any chances with that. So if they tell me I am using a router, I can tell them it's just my phone.

And I don't know if this is so taxing? Maybe having the hotspot sending data continually would be quite bad for battery life?

I have bought an adapter, I will be able to put that to the test this evening. I will update this when I have some results to share [e]1f603[/e]