Does the phone kill the USB ports on my computer?

1. Wiggums
    Donut Nov 30, 2020

Wiggums , Nov 30, 2020 :
    I am always transferring files between my 256GB phone to the laptop and I even use it as a back-up.

For two months, I connected it via USB-C on the computer then the USB-C port died.

The next two months, I used the red USB to USB-C cable from OnePlus, then this USB port died.

I am down to the last USB port and hoping it doesn't die. I still use the USB-C port for my flash drive, and the USB port for my keyboard. Yet, the two same ports refuse to acknowledge my OnePlus phone even though both work just fine on other devices.

The last USB port has no problem for now.. but I fear it'll eventually be like the other two ports.

G_plusone likes this.
  2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Nov 30, 2020

Tokolozi , Nov 30, 2020 :
    Since the poets still work on other devices, it sound more like an issue with the drivers to me. Try to completely uninstall them and configure them again.

Side note, what happens if you use a different cable?

3. Wiggums
    Donut Nov 30, 2020

Wiggums , Nov 30, 2020 :
    Using different cables were the same thing, none of the cables worked on the port. I have three different cables. All three cables work on the last port, but not the other two (USB-C and USB), so I am left with the only USB port.

When you say driver.. do you mean USB driver?

4. Cervantes
    Moderator Moderator Nov 30, 2020

Cervantes , Nov 30, 2020 :
    Hi
    what computer do you have
    what operating system

How many gigabytes does the information have that you copy?
    it may be a problem with your computer's drivers or hardware

You have installed the driver that comes with the phone

check windows device manager: You can have driver alerts

5. Wiggums
    Donut Nov 30, 2020

Wiggums , Nov 30, 2020 :
    I have the new Asus A15 with the new AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, with Windows 10 Pro. I've had it for about five months.

There were no driver alerts, I update my Windows regularly. I just don't understand why my phone's killing off the USB drivers one by one, but they all work fine with other devices (keyboards, plugged in my GoPro camera with USB, mouse, etc.) but not the OnePlus 7.

I just disabled the selective suspend but that didn't do the trick for the first two ports that don't work with the phone.

6. Wiggums
    Donut Nov 30, 2020

Wiggums , Nov 30, 2020 :
    Okay, I just uninstalled all the USB Root Hubs and USB Host Controllers (the computer automatically installed the drivers back in after rebooting which I did), and that did not work.. the two USB and USB-C ports are still dead to my phone, but not the others.

7. BeingIncog
    Nougat Nov 30, 2020

BeingIncog , Nov 30, 2020 :
    super weird, i have not experienced this type of issues with oneplus phones and my asus motherboard.

Cervantes likes this.
  8. Wiggums
    Donut Nov 30, 2020

Wiggums , Nov 30, 2020 :
    I was afraid it might be so rare nobody knows how to fix it. It's frustrating because I have a 4K video editor in the phone and it has 12GB so I can put in a lot of 4K clips, it's been absolutely fantastic, and some of the 4K clips come from the computer so I need to be able to do file transfers. I know it's not the phone, it's the computer... I'm frustrated here.

9. Cervantes
    Moderator Moderator Nov 30, 2020

Cervantes , Nov 30, 2020 :
    You have installed the driver that comes with the phone
    When you connect the phone, a disk with the One Plus logo should appear

computer usb ports are usb 2 or usb 3 or usb 3.1

G_plusone likes this.
  10. Wiggums
    Donut Nov 30, 2020

Wiggums , Nov 30, 2020 :
    The option to install the driver does not appear if I plug it in USB-C or USB 3.2, both refuse to recognize the phone although both recognize other devices I plug in there.

Both USB 3.2 ports on the left side died at the same time after the USB-C port. Now, I am using the USB 2.0 port on the right side.

11. _Bharat_
    Gingerbread Dec 1, 2020

12. Pradeep2k18
    Eclair Dec 1, 2020

Pradeep2k18 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 1, 2020 :
    Method 1: Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.

In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.

Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.

Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

If scanning for hardware changes fixed the problem, you are finished. If this method did not fix the problem, go to Method 2.

Or

Method 2: Disable and re-enable the USB controller

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, try the steps in the "Workaround" section.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.

Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.

Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

If the USB port recognizes the device and if you can use the device, you are finished.

If this method fixed the problem, you are finished. If this method did not fix the problem, go to the "Workaround" section.

G_plusone likes this.
  13. Wiggums
    Donut Dec 1, 2020

Wiggums , Dec 1, 2020 :
    I already explained that other devices work. The keyboard has no problem with the same USB port and the flash drive has no problem with the same USB-C port, but both of them will NOT work with my OnePlus. Both are USB 3.2, so I am using the USB 2.0 which still works.

The computer does NOT pick up the GoPro at all, there is no CD thing on my screen either, NOTHING. No beep. But the two ports work with other devices. I already uninstalled all the USB controllers, everything, and NONE of that worked.

14. G_plusone
    Nougat Dec 1, 2020

G_plusone , Dec 1, 2020 :
    Tried updating the MTP Drivers?

15. jcerana
    Eclair Dec 1, 2020

16. Wiggums
    Donut Dec 1, 2020

Wiggums , Dec 1, 2020 :
    I already updated the MTP drivers. Still, I don't get it, why do other devices (keyboard, mouse, flash drives) still work, but just absolutely REFUSES to acknowledge the phone.

All worked fine when I first got it. Two months later, I lost the USB-C so I moved over to the USB 3.2. Then both 3.2 stopped working so I moved it to USB 2.0. All these ports STILL work with different devices. This is frustrating.

G_plusone likes this.
  17. G_plusone
    Nougat Dec 2, 2020

G_plusone , Dec 2, 2020 :
    This is so strange :eek: