Does This Phone Hold Up To Similarly Priced Devices?

1. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Aug 16, 2019

Baymax , Aug 16, 2019 :
    Hello Everyone.

Your neighborhood friendly Baymax here with another thread that isn't a review. Shocking isn't it?
    [​IMG]

So, today I was approached by a OnePlus admin and was asked to write a thread for you all to get your opinions about the OnePlus 7 Pro... whoops that was a typo... I meant the OnePlus 6t.

You know... the one that is actually side-by-side with the 7 Pro in every T-Mobile store in the US and is about $150 $200 USD cheaper depending on the version you get(this is an older picture...)...
    IMG_20190531_113924.jpg

So. The 6T was released in 2018 and was, in my opinion, quite ground breaking. It is a device with relatively new specs like the Snapdragon 845, 6-10 GB RAM and 128-256GB storage depending on the version you get... and a list of features with would make any tech lover salivate with envy each time you pull it our of your pocket. At least that is the way I envision it.

Anyway... enough about nerdy salivation and more about if it is still a great deal in the year 2019.
    One can make the argument that the Samsung Galaxy S10+ is a better deal since it is currently $150 USD more than the 6T (except the S10+ is likely used rather than new) with more storage options and a slightly larger battery.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 2.57.58 PM.png

on the other hand you can argue that the 6T is better if you say that you can get one brand new for $150 less than a used S10+ with a no-frills operating system like Oxygen OS compared to Touchwiz (One UI) just with less storage options.

Keep in mind though the 6T in question here is 8GB RAM with 128 GB of storage and you can get for $150 USD cheaper. But for some you may say that the S10+ would be better because it's a newer processor with expandable storage.

The truth is that you should be happen with whichever phone you decide to get. The 6t is still a great device in 2019. 3 people in my immediate family happily using 6t's.

If you are okay with 128-256 GB and nothing beyond that then I would happily say to go for the 6t. It is a great device.

If you know of any other devices (other than the S10+) that would be a better buy in 2019 what would it be and why?

2. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2019

Discostu , Aug 16, 2019 :
    My personal view is - buy the S10+.

This is coming from a purely money perspective in your country if it is similarly priced or cheaper than the 6t. For newer internals and better overall design / camera versatility / screen quality - the S10+ is a no brainer.

However. If none of that matters to someone and they prefer the software experience of the OnePlus ecosystem and are not bothered by a specs war or cameras, then the 6t is a good choice.

All that said - in Australia a brand new 8gb 6t can be bought for just over $850AUD whereas the S10+ with 8gb is just under $1,200AUD

I know that for me, the S10+ wouldn't be worth paying an almost $400 premium for.

ALL IMHO of course.

buntycubal and The1Lion like this.
  3. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Aug 17, 2019

Baymax , Aug 17, 2019 :
    So would you say that the S10+ is a fair comparison in pricing? Or possibly another device?

4. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 17, 2019

Discostu , Aug 17, 2019 :
    I would yes, but only in locations that are comparable.

As you can see in Australia - it most definitely is not comparable and the 6t is a much cheaper alternative :)

Baymax likes this.
  5. malidan
    Marshmallow Aug 18, 2019

malidan , Aug 18, 2019 :
    You must be bored.

what was new about 12Gb ram?
    What was new about 256gb Storage?
    What was new about the SD845?
    What was new about FOD?
    What ground did the 6T break?

How does the 6T stack up against the £250 K20 pro?
    How does the 6T stack up £280 MI9, £400 Mate 20 Pro, Sub £500 Note 9.

What the point of the thread? Most would buy the OP7 before even looking at the 6T.:rolleyes:

6. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Aug 18, 2019

Baymax , Aug 18, 2019 :

And to answer this:
    Thank you for inputting your opinion.

Keep in mind the OP6t is still very much prominent in the US which only had the 7 Pro announced earlier this year. When you are deciding a phone, availability is also a key factor is it not?

Discostu and Vansh99 like this.
  7. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Aug 18, 2019

Discostu , Aug 18, 2019 :
    You nail a very key point here -> Availability.

We forget that a lot of us are "tech nerds" and therefore know a lot about devices either available to buy outside of our available regions or what is coming down the line.

To someone walking into a store and considering their next purchase / or browsing a carriers website - they do not and will not necessarily understand what they could purchase beyond what is presented to them.

Its all well and good to compare the 6t to a plethora of other devices however if none are available in the market the consumer is buying in, what is the point?

Baymax likes this.
  8. Exia_97
    Froyo Aug 19, 2019

Exia_97 , Aug 19, 2019 :
    Opinion from someone in Canada. When OP was about $2-300 cheaper than Samsung and Apple's flagships, it was worth it to buy a OP device. From a specs point of view, OP was around where the big boys were save for a couple of shortcomings. The main difference was support for the device after your warranty was up. With Samsung and Apple, you can walk right into one of their stores and get support. If the device needs to be repaired, they give you a loaner phone to use. For the most part, easy.

You do not have that luxury with OP in Canada. If the phone needs any support after the warranty expires, you're pretty much SOL. It's quite the headache. Even during the warranty period, I need to ship out my phone for a good amount of time. My friend who owned a OP device sent his device in and was without it for almost a month, very inconvenient.

When OP devices were priced under $7-800 Canadian and about $2-300 cheaper than other flagships, it was worth the risk of not having good support after warranty. Now that OP has moved into premium pricing, I can't justify the pricing anymore. That coupled with things like no wireless charging, no headphone jack, no sd expansion make it harder and harder for me to buy a OP device.

Keep in mind, OP doesn't get sold by any carrier in Canada so getting them subsidized on a plan is also not available.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019

Baymax and Discostu like this.
  9. malidan
    Marshmallow Aug 26, 2019

malidan , Aug 26, 2019 :
    Why is this thread pinned? What purpose does it serve?
    The sneak preview to Q isn't pinned.:rolleyes:

10. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Aug 26, 2019

Baymax , Aug 26, 2019 :
    Thank you for the information. Have passed along.

Discostu likes this.