Don't go down this path

1. RJ Murdok
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 15, 2017

RJ Murdok , Jan 15, 2017 :
    I remember whenever the OnePlus One was announced and it swam to the peak of flagships throughout 2014. I remember how great development was and how much I myself wanted to own one. It was labelled a flagship killer, but I thought of it even more highly; a Nexus killer, something to finally compete with Google and on the cheap.

And then the Cyanogen deal collapsed, the OnePlus 2 was released with hosts of problems and developers didn't pick it up, but rather stuck to the One

Jump forwards to October of 2015 when you guys essentially made a mainstream model of the One you coined the OnePlus X. I soon picked it up. It led to me wanting to learn about kernel development and it allowed me to learn a lot over the last year. I remember that Christmas. I remember how new and exciting Android was again. It wasn't perfect, it had caveats, but through programming I made it perfect

Point being, you as a company are beginning to lose those of us that still have that installment of wonder. You are losing your foothold. And now there is this:

https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-...comply-with-gplv2-and-release-kernel-sources/

First of all, what the **** OnePlus. This completely trashes my interpretation of you as the kings of open source. You even managed to anger Franco himself. That's big.

I always looked at thus company as open and free and as a stsncr against other companies that don't innovate

You were not flagship killer, you were innovators.

Don't get me wrong, I would very much like a 3T to develop for, but now there are alternatives out there, and I'm not sure OnePlus has a future in this respect.

Please do not tell me I have to buy a Nexus to be on the bleeding edge of development when your past devices and current ones are so great. You cater to developers. Were it not for us, there wouldn't be a reason to buy your devices.

Remember your legacy as a company

For those wondering ehay contributions I have made personally, I develop a kernel called Aries for the OnePlus X and I am the firmer developer of Swell and Intoxicated Boeffla. I released my first kernel to the public a few months ago and over time picked up steam. I'm now searching for a new device to replace my aging X, but I'm not sure I will get a 3T at this point anymore.

You guys are not flagship killers anymore. You are flagship competitors. And I'm a cheap person that understands there are better alternatives were it not for you source code

2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jan 15, 2017

Tokolozi , Jan 15, 2017 :
    Yup this is one of the things bothering me lately as well, Btw Sony is pretty nice in what they offer just missing devs. Don't get me started on pixel though, feels like the whole nexus line changed ( I know it actually did, but not in the way I like it)

RJ Murdok likes this.
  3. F_Jamil_Topchibashev_xta
    Froyo Jan 15, 2017

4. lutti
    KitKat Jan 15, 2017

lutti , Jan 15, 2017 :
    Whoa! Someone is pretty out there?
    I'm quite sure at least 99% of the OnePlus phones go to someone else than developers.

fcbx347 and Fabian Bühler like this.
  5. vishalsangave
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2017

6. BetVer
    Froyo Jan 17, 2017

BetVer , Jan 17, 2017 :
    I don't get it, what exactly made them lose people with your "installment of wonder" (whatever that means) before the event you mentioned next?

7. RJ Murdok
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2017

RJ Murdok , Jan 20, 2017 :
    Might have to look into Sony if thats the case. they adhere to GPL at the very least, and support their devices for long periods of time. Cant afford a pixel though. Cant even get a used 6P lol

Tokolozi likes this.