Don’t stop the clocks: What do you expect from the OnePlus Smartwatch app?

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Jan 27, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jan 27, 2021 :
    watch app.png

OnePlus is developing a new companion to your smartphone and the release is nigh. Its illusive smartwatch will be released in “early” 2021. It was Pete Lau, OnePlus CEO, who said so: “we're making one,” he wrote on his personal Twitter account in early December, before adding that it is “to be released early next year. Wishes do come true”.

As we know, this will be Take 2. Before, way back in 2016, after completing the design on its wearable at the time, the Shenzhen-based company “decided to scrap it”. The reason was “we have to be focused”, Lau said to the The Wall Street Journal (paywall). Now, the foray into a new segment is bound to happen, even if we don’t know the key details: design, specs, availability and even the price(s) are yet to be announced. The hype train is about to leave the station and many of us are sitting passengers eagerly awaiting the choo-choo departure.

Of body…

On the Weekly Update 367, Oliver Z., Head of Product, asked the community about the design and the features, the ever-critical price range too. And you versed about shapes, talked money, illuminated and guided the thread with spec sheets varying from reasonable to idyllic, from plausible to everything but the kitchen sink. The truth is, we know very little about the body of the device.

A great, vibrant AMOLED panel? The Snapdragon Wear 4100 Plus as a beating heart? More than one size to fit different wrist diameters? LTE-independence? A generous battery capacity to avoid the dreaded charge-every-night routine? And RAM to match the processor in a smooth waltz, emulsifying a snappy experience? If you noted the abundance of question marks, they’re nothing but a symptom of what we (don’t) know about the physical aspect of it. Speculate away, grounded by the examples of the industry offerings.

... and soul

Not to get metaphysical, but the hardware you’ll potentially love will be fed by its Operating System. OnePlus is working “closely” with Google in the software forefront. Will the smartwatch run Wear OS? We don’t know, but let’s assume for a moment it’ll be a OxygenOS-flavoured experience, that OnePlus is getting ready to offer a tailor-made digital affair to adorn your wrist. Wear OS “definitely has room to improve,” said Lau in conversation with the Input Magazine. Well, how, then, is one of the questions I want to leave you with.

What do you expect from the software that will be exploring the hardware, extracting from its power to offer you, the paying customer, an experience that sways you? The do's and don'ts, if you want and will. Fast and fluid are a given, but let’s talk features and integration; let’s talk examples you saw or thought about; let’s talk details never, ever too small and grand-experiences you want to have when you use the watch on a daily - or nightly - basis.

More to the point: what do you expect from the inevitable application that will be installed on your smartphone? Perhaps you are already anticipating the exciting times ahead, plotting, planning and wishing beta channels for both the Operating System and the application.

You, the intrepid digital explorer willing to have a rough around the edges stay while getting the stage ready for the arrival of the grand audience, what would you love to test and analyze, scrutinizing the beginning of something memorable?

The Fitbit case study

The Fitbit hardware can feel premium, but it doesn’t transcend any norm. Even with the Fitbit Sense, the more expensive and sensor-rich option, the customer choice is often associated with the application. More than what the company manages to extract from the array of sensors, it’s how the information is presented to the end user that’s often touted.

A few examples, then. You have a section to track your sleeping patterns (Awake, REM, Light and Deep), you can manage your stress levels, your exercise, check the heart rate at a glance - actual and resting; you can even track your temperature during the night and measure your oxygen saturation level (SpO2). A lot of information? Yes. Too much information that will slowly stop being verified after the honeymoon phase? Perhaps. But it’s there and it’s a rich comprehension of the inner workings of your body.

More: you have a community at your fingertips - Feed, Friends and Groups included. And, crucially, the customer has a blooming Discovery section. More than health coaching, there are guided programs, challenges and adventures to partake in, an ocean of exercises that your Fitbit will gladly track. When using it, you can feel the app interconnected with the device, reaching every nook and cranny of the hardware.

It is not a bad case of bloatware, but a myriad of features co-sponsored by integration. Would you, the OnePlus fan, like to have this digital counseling associated with your OnePlus smartwatch or would you prefer a more Wear OS by Google approach when it comes to treating your data?

For example: imagine OnePlus creates a section here on the forums fine-tuned to the smartwatch diapason. You could see that section inside the app, the challenges created by the company or fellow members, you could compare stats, get motivated trying to overcome all the second places. Reach to and connect with beloved friends. You could even check photos of landmarks and read anecdotal stories about others' goings. Would you want that?

Your time has come

Not untapped, but OnePlus knows its fervent community is more than a clutch. By living the present of the new product, its future will always be rooted within you, shaping it with your ideas and feedback, avoiding pitfalls and soaring to new heights. Before the arrival of information officially stamped, please share your vision of what you want and what you don’t want to see on your phone sourced directly from the sensors.

In the end, a great smartwatch without an excellent companion app, is nothing but a great island on your wrist. You have the power to make it an archipelago aspiring to become a continent.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 27, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Jan 27, 2021 :
    This might be worth adding, to fuel the discussion. With the OnePlus Band already available in India, we already have a sneak peek of what a possible companion app might look like:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Source

3. Abhishek654
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 27, 2021

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021

4. Girish.Pranav

5. McJader
    Lollipop Jan 27, 2021

McJader , Jan 27, 2021 :
    I'm loving the writing style:):)

6. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 27, 2021

dsmonteiro , Jan 27, 2021 :
    Update? What do you mean by that?

This is an opinion / discussion thread by a user like you.

7. ShreyasPatil_

ShreyasPatil_ , Jan 27, 2021 :
    Just hoping that they aren't oppo rebrand.

8. M1541252222314
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2021

M1541252222314 , Jan 27, 2021 :
    I know that implementing a watch for the new Snapdragon is a challenge. But I think that the determinant facts for choosing a watch between others, are Price/quality range (i'd set it at 300 Euros) and the battery lifetime (at least 3 days of normal use).

Helder_DAlmeida and Cheetosdust like this.
  9. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Jan 27, 2021

Liehjan , Jan 27, 2021 :
    I would be fine with slapping an OnePlus logo on this bad boy, if it runs stock android wear.
    upload_2021-1-27_12-44-42.png

10. Dhruv Kashyap

11. Cheetosdust

Would that be something you want?

And if so, do you see the official app getting features to take advantage of the different sizes? As in, enhancing the probable more expensive model. :)

Wouldn't you be interested in something like, let's say, the medals you can get when wearing a Apple Watch? :cool:

Many thanks, my good man. Your feedback truly matters. :cool:

But is there a specific feature you would love to have included in the app? ;)

That's actually a very good point.

For example, Fitbit vs Apple Watch. Are you willing to sacrifice some features to achieve that battery life? :)

It does look beautiful. ;)

If it doesn't run "stock" Android Wear, would that be a deal breaker for you? :cool:

12. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Jan 27, 2021

Liehjan , Jan 27, 2021 :
    The "stock" android wear isn't a deal breaker... I could live with a skinned version of android wear named OxygenWearOS:)

Cheetosdust likes this.
  13. Girish.Pranav

Girish.Pranav , Jan 27, 2021 :
    Hmm sounds fun, let's see how that turns out to be....

Cheetosdust and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  14. sumitMZ007

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 27, 2021 :
    I'm very excited and hopeful that OnePlus smartwatch will be awesome!
    1.Few things that needs to be explored ! ,like rumours are there ,Apple is going to include blood sugar levels or glucose level check for diabetics person.and that's going to add a new gem to their crown! Many people are affected by diabetes and it requires day to day basis measurements and get the reading after every meal to keep a check! said:
    2.Samsung just recently announced ECG support to their smartwatch in 31 nations. I hope ECG will be there in OnePlus watch!
    3. Blood pressure vs Heart rate monitoring! Both are different things and formal one is more important to the obese people!
    4. A great app which keeps record of Sleep monitoring, Calories burnt, distance traveled, water drinking reminder, set completion timer, facts about health and human body, And voice assistant during workout , etc all these data should be presented in a well manner by using pie charts, graphs, score table etc which will help the person and keep the user motivated.
    5. Apps doesn't have exercise switching in between example: I started my running and timer is going on ,all data related to running is recorded but now in between I'm tired and can't keep running so I'm just walking now ! So Transition happened from running to walking but some apps like runstatic ,Addidas fitness app don't have options to switch to other exercise in between.which sometime creates wrong data records!
    6. Some challenges should be there to complete within the exercise community and medals should be awarded for completing them. And it should be like Challenge and urge to compete.
    7 . if OnePlus will be collecting data for betterment of health app ! it should maintain and secure the data responsibly and the health related data collected shouldn't be directly pointing that this data belongs to MR.XYZ . And health app should not be given access to message,notes apps directly since some important data are stored in it! said:
    and OxygenOS on OnePlus watch ⌚ would be a delight!

15. Cheetosdust

I have never used the OnePlus Band nor its companion app, but that looks like the start of something, far from the plateaued software experience. :)

It looks stale in comparison to what I use daily. The app of a wearable - be it a 50 euros band or a 500 euros smartwatch - needs to do the basics well. So well, as a matter of fact, that you don’t second guess what’s being shown.

In a sense, that companion app doesn’t invite you to stay and explore. At least from the screenshots and videos I saw so far. Sure, it shows the basics, but are the basics enough to motivate? It doesn’t matter if the customer is being “tricked” with activities and tasks, because in the end, it’s how and how much they move; how much they are engaged.

Perhaps it’s a whole lot of “gamification”, but it seems to work. Fitbit does that well with “Challenges & Adventures”, for example.

My question is: how far - in terms of resources (team, money, etc) invested - is OnePlus willing to go while making (and maintaining) an app that entices their members? Perhaps even more than OxygenOS on smartphones, it needs to be a mutable software, celebrating and adjusting as the year goes by.

[Also, maybe stick your message? Completely agree with you there, it truly has the potential to elevate the conversation at hand :cool:]

16. H.S.S
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2021

H.S.S , via OnePlus Nord , Jan 27, 2021 :
    One thing which is very special is regarding the logo there should be OnePlus logo instead of that text which was in fitness band.It just makes the design classy and very few companies have captivating logos so must use logo instead of name.

17. Helder_DAlmeida
    Lollipop Jan 27, 2021

the_o2, Cheetosdust and Abhishek654 like this.
  18. tilak_gr.stark

tilak_gr.stark , Jan 27, 2021 :
    Hello @Cheetodust
    Oh My Holy Cow! Your writing is absolutely Great and I'm loving it. Your writing will give inspiration to much more aspiring members in the Forums!
    Speaking of which I have many hopes on the Watch, Infact I already started saving pocket money to buy the watch.
    What I would expect in the watch is
    - that the watch band's clasp or buckle is easy to use and easy to swap and that it’s easy for a user to find replacement Straps.
    - unlike the Band 1+ has released earlier,I would like to see the watch Module in Various colour models and sizes like the apple Watch.
    - the Battery and Charge could be just like the Wrap Charge Type in tje watches.
    Atleast I have these thoughts in my mind,most of the users already told exactly what I had in my mind
    Have a great day good sir.

19. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Jan 27, 2021

YRJ , Jan 27, 2021 :
    A lovely read @Cheetosdust

A smartwatch, for me, is a smartphone on your wrist. Taking on its shoulder some of the responsibility from the bigger device and making available a similar experience on a smaller form factor.
    While a watch isn't the substitute for a Smartphone, yet. I think if it as a product that will let me complete quick actions without having to pull out my phone for every time it vibrates. A peephole of sorts :p

I said it before I'll say it again, I'm a sucker for Squircle smartwatches, but I'll still buy a OnePlus watch regardless of the shape they finally end up making, because I expect seamless connectivity between the watch and the phone. So much so, that they blend into one. A pair, making your life easier and bringing the world of tech on your wrist!

Looking forward to the watch :cool:

20. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jan 27, 2021