Double tap to wake and ambient display not working

1. ajit.sandhu Froyo May 23, 2019

ajit.sandhu, May 23, 2019 :
    I bought the 7pro the first day of the launch since then I'm loving the phone very much but since this morning I've started to notice that the double tap to wake screen is not working and also the ambient display is not working. I've tried to disable and enable the options in the settings and also I've tried to restart the phone many times nothing fixes the problem.

G1558374199726, dvf0406, UnaX and 9 others like this.
  2. mbcool Honeycomb May 23, 2019

O1558648886011 likes this.
  3. Scott_Love93 Eclair May 23, 2019

onepNoob likes this.
  4. Foreshadower Eclair May 23, 2019

itsmeankit likes this.
  5. McRussin Froyo May 23, 2019

McRussin, May 23, 2019 :
    for a temp workaround, i have found that it seems to be from the ambient light sensor. get into a bright area and it works fine.

albertjyu likes this.
  6. Singh_priya Cupcake May 23, 2019

Singh_priya, May 23, 2019 :
    it's happening with me too, although the power button is there but when I pick the phone up it's dead. it's frustrating though.

7. raiderep Donut May 24, 2019

raiderep, May 24, 2019 :
    This is not working anymore for me too, it started when I plugged my phone in to charge it today, maybe a coincidence? I have the unlocked one from OnePlus site and it was working fine until now. I have tried everything and no luck! Any help here OnePlus?

Edit: so I used another phone to shine it's flash on the screen and it will work again but only while the lite is on it. Seems that in a dark room or at least not well lit it stops working, must be the light sensor is not configured properly, please send out an update OnePlus!

Last edited: May 24, 2019

8. G_manuel_soto_jNLT Donut May 24, 2019

G_manuel_soto_jNLT, May 24, 2019 :
    same here, mine is randomly working I got the T-Mobile model I think something in the battery optimization or RAM boost put the Screen off gestures to sleep

Hitman424 likes this.
  9. I1558679746676 Cupcake May 24, 2019

10. ferr37 Cupcake May 24, 2019

ferr37, May 24, 2019 :
    Started happening to me this morning. Had the phone for 5 days and no issues. As far as I know, no updates were pushed through recently. I noticed it only happens in low light. If I put the phone under a lamp or something, the ambient display works as it should. The only settings I messed with yesterday was to turn on adaptive brightness, but turning it off again doesn't seem to affect the issue. Using unlocked on Verizon.

11. T1558696216534 Cupcake May 24, 2019

12. Raniero Ciani Cupcake May 24, 2019

Raniero Ciani, May 24, 2019 :
    same problem for me! when will be solved???

13. Lucky1188 Cupcake May 25, 2019

14. Raniero Ciani Cupcake May 25, 2019

Raniero Ciani, May 25, 2019 :
    Exactly! It seems a bug connected to light sensor! Please solve as soon as possible, as it is very frustrating!

15. Jocdaja Cupcake May 25, 2019

16. onepNoob Donut May 25, 2019

onepNoob, May 25, 2019 :
    I had the T-Mobile variant with those issues. I returned and purchased the unlocked from OP direct (nice to be void of the T-Mobile splash as well)
    The phone was flawless until this morning..... A sunny Atlanta morning. I tap to wake and nothing. Double tap to wake nothing. Restarted phone...nothing

To be clear OP.... we know there's two types of taps.
    Buttons & Gestures has a double tap.
    Ambient sensor has a single tap, which will disable the double tap(clearly displayed...a little fast..but noted)

This is not one or two...it's clearly an issue. I now have to think am I going to ride this out that you will fix with software being mindful that it has not been issued yet. Or do I return before my date and wait for you to work out kinks.

I would really like to keep this phone. I have ordered dbrand skins. Hardly a large investment but it shows I thought this was the phone.
    I'd like a on behalf of all the OP fantastic supporters, feedback on if this will be addressed or do I get to my local UPS today before they close.

This thing is a beauty to look at and to interact with!

17. itsmeankit Cupcake May 25, 2019

itsmeankit, May 25, 2019 :
    I faced the problem few days back, the double tap to wake feature suddenly stopped working, i tried restarting the phone multiple times it didn't work, then after a while the problem got fixed on it own, but today again i am facing the same problem, and i noticed none of the gestures like "draw v for flashlight" or "draw O for camera" is working. I tried resetting the app preferences from apps and notifications and clearing cache of the device too as guided by the Oneplus customer care person, but noting helped fix the problem.

Oneplus, please help!!

Edit - Suddenly everything started working as usual, all by itself.

Last edited: May 25, 2019

onepNoob likes this.
  18. m i n a r Honeycomb May 25, 2019

m i n a r, May 25, 2019 :
    Same here. It stopped working randomly for a couple minutes, but today it stopped working, and a reboot didn't help. It's clearly some sort of software issue. I'd prefer an option to choose whether to use the light/proximity sensor before waking the screen or not. Too bad.

EDIT: I can confirm that a light of any type solves the problem. But we should have a proximity sensor though. That's weird, since a typical use case of the double tap to wake is during night in the complete darkness, isn't it?

Last edited: May 25, 2019

onepNoob likes this.
  19. blackjack33 Donut May 25, 2019

blackjack33, May 25, 2019 :
    Same issue with mine.

Double tap to wake, ambient screen, and screen gestures no longer work unless I hold the phone under a bright light source.

Fix pls.

dlean214 likes this.
  20. blackjack33 Donut May 25, 2019

blackjack33, May 25, 2019 :
    I just tried this, everything seems to be back to normal now.

Thanks