Downgrading to Marshmallow...

1. nabsrai
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2017

nabsrai , Jun 22, 2017 :
    For all those who will start whining and yelling and say "use search" and "it has been answered gazillion times", I have searched but the posts doesn't serve my purpose and thus don't post such replies, a humble request.

For all the polite, friendly and helpful people here, I have some doubts, I am trying to sum up point wise.

1. Need to go back to last MM ROM.(I am currently on 4.1.6 and observing that the subsequent updates are making the experience worse, at least for me)
    2. Don't want to use TWRP, only OP Recovery (i think it is simpler, am complete newbie)
    3. MM and Nougat are having different file systems, how to reformat to the file system that MM uses?

I have already
    1. Installed Android SDK. (for commands like 'fastboot' etc)
    2. downloaded the required ROM.

No service center in my city so it's all DIY kind of thing, and thus I am asking for help.
    Thanks in anticipation.

G_T._A._CxNO likes this.
  2. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 22, 2017

jak , Jun 22, 2017 :
    I for one am not going to help you **** up your phone (and possibly life) by downgrading to year old software with tons of known security issues.

ssouther likes this.
  3. MarkLR
    Jelly Bean Jun 22, 2017

MarkLR , Jun 22, 2017 :
    Instead of downgrading, considering that the latest version works perfectly for me and the vast majority of users, I would rather try a factory reset. You're going to reset anyway if you want to go back.

I edited my post because I remembered that I didn't flash to a pre-merge OOS version but to an older beta version, that already had the new structure that came with Beta 0. If you want to downgrade to one of the initial firmwares I wouldn't want to have you brick the phone. I don't think you should downgrade to MM under any circumstance.

4. nabsrai
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2017

nabsrai , Jun 22, 2017 :
    people like you are not welcome. you are insulting yourself by replying here. lunatic people like you are disgrace to this community.

G_Darshen_Jason_QhZv likes this.
  5. nabsrai
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2017

nabsrai , Jun 22, 2017 :
    i have doubts and community members are here to help if you cannot help please do not let people down.
    and i am well aware of what i will have by downgrading be it a year or century old.

6. immadeofpixels
    Eclair Jun 22, 2017

immadeofpixels , Jun 22, 2017 :
    Calling someone a lunatic and a disgrace to the community isn't very friendly, either. Hypocrite.

That being said, I agree with the "Lunatic". Going back to year-old software is unwise because there are so many security issues. I'd like to hear what the OP has problems with in the Nougat builds.

7. nabsrai
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2017

nabsrai , Jun 22, 2017 :
    I know, but I already requested not to post such replies if someone don't want to help. It's my device and my choice. I was ok with MM.

8. immadeofpixels
    Eclair Jun 22, 2017

You asked people not to tell you to use search. He didn't. He was a little rude, you were more rude. End of story.

Now, what is wrong with Nougat that is making you want to downgrade?

(btw totally didn't realize you *are* the OP of the thread while replying to you the first time lol)

9. jak

jak , Jun 22, 2017 :
    Was I rude? I mean I used a "bad" word to describe the issue I see with it, to help him make a more conscious choice. I could have written something like "Kindly reconsider doing this, this is a massive security issue". But that just sounds weird - IIRC that's how people write in India, but it's just too "fake" friendly, so it really annoys me; nobody talks like that in real life, not in Germany anyway.

10. immadeofpixels
    Eclair Jun 22, 2017

"I am not going to help you" sounds condescending
    "(and possibly your life)" ?????

I would have said, "Using old software is a major security issue. I would strongly recommend not doing it."

11. jak

jak , Jun 22, 2017 :
    Well, with the second one I just meant that if a security issue is exploited, it could vastly impact your quality of life, depending on how valuable your data on the phone is. I guess I can agree that it's condescending, but I guess that's kind of the point of a "It seems you don't know what you're doing, let me tell you that it's a bad idea" message. But I guess it might also be just a weird Aspie thing.

12. Iuliskaya

Iuliskaya , Jun 22, 2017 :
    You can't just downgrade without having major errors, therefor you have to make a clean install of the ROM. Good luck.

13. tuenbabz
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2017

tuenbabz , Jun 22, 2017 :
    4.1.6 is running perfect on my OP3 - one of the best nougat updates they have made.

14. jak

jak , Jun 22, 2017 :
    Yeah, well, to be honest, I'd try wiping just the data first and see if that helps, rather then reverting to marshmallow. Data is lost either way.

15. tuenbabz
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2017

tuenbabz , Jun 22, 2017 :
    Yeah try that.

16. Dorrellkc
    Cupcake Jun 23, 2017

Dorrellkc , Jun 23, 2017 :
    I understand being a newbie we all were once ourselves however my suggestion would be to move to a different Nougat ROM. one of the best ones I've used and I am currently using is the Pure Nexus ROM. I have had zero troubles with my phone with this ROM and feel that the security of being on Nougat is much better than downgrading. If you want help I'd happily try to help you install TWRP and the ROM as I have learned a ton about what works and what doesn't by trying different things with this phone. if you decide to go back to marshmallow best of luck.

17. guozy2001
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2017

guozy2001 , Jun 23, 2017 :
    MM and N uses different file systems, but IMO the one come with N suits MM better and vice versa, because you'll get file-based encryption on N and faster speed on MM.

18. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2017

jak , Jun 23, 2017 :
    I'd not encourage third party roms. With some apps like Netflix now not being available anymore for devices with unlocked bootloaders, that seems a bit dangerous :)

19. 0slawek
    Jelly Bean Jun 23, 2017

0slawek , Jun 23, 2017 :
    I really don't recommend downgrading from N to M, if you would like to downgrade, you have to erase all your data anyways so I would say try factory reset with 4.1.6. Trust me you will have a really hard way to make it fully working, even people who knows exactly what to do sometimes are facing really hard issues. I mean not system level bugs but something way deeper in ur phone.

20. Aktion_Kamen
    Donut Jun 23, 2017