[Download] Device Trees and Kernel Sources for the OnePlus 3T

1. Vector Jelly Bean Nov 19, 2016

Natakranta and otto2 like this.
  2. SimonRam Lollipop Nov 19, 2016

SimonRam, Nov 19, 2016 :
    Interesting thoughts Otto.
    I wonder how long this current game will work for them though. As you say, how many are rooted and rommed with something else. Unless they start releasing ROM's that are as good as other OEM's (let's face it, they all often need some post release sorting out) I think this will start falling apart pretty quickly.
    It's just a good job there's so much help in here from people who can assist.
    The platform should be stable enough though without having to mess about with it yourself.
    We'll see how it pans out and also whether the +3 suffers to the +3T.

otto2 likes this.
  3. otto2 Lollipop Nov 19, 2016

otto2, Nov 19, 2016 :
    Don t think the 3 will suffer,the changes are not so Big. It s.mor a Kind of fine Tuning or releasing a Variant customers asked for. Check Out Forum Postings On OP3 launch-a Lot of Postings regarding a 128gB Variant. Selfie Cam Adam Krisko starten a survey some time ago,so there was a demand and they re trying to give people what they want. Nevertheless the Standard OP3 is still Great, anupgrade would not make Sense. It s more a move towards the people who need lots of storage or always want the fastest,best ,greatest device On Market.

4. Natakranta Gingerbread Nov 19, 2016

Natakranta, Nov 19, 2016 :
    I actually liked the Oxygen OS on my OP3. It's the OEM ROM closest to AOSP custom ROMs I like to run on my devices. I really don't want OnePlus to go the way of other OEMs and heavy skin and bloat Oxygen. The motto pure android with few necessary additions is for me spot on. Pure android is nice but lacks many features, Google is catching up features from custom ROMs with huge delay. That's why I always go straight away to unlock bootloader and flash my favorite ROM. Oxygen is the only stock ROM which lasted more than a day on my phone, actually over 2 months till I sold the phone in September. I liked it apart of one huge annoyance and one small.
    The big one is that OnePlus devs removed stock android automatic rules for Do Not Disturb mode on favor of the alert slider. Yes, the slider is nice feature to have when entering a team meeting at work, but it can't replace the automatic rules, especially for somebody who got used to it so much. Jizzz, how many times I forgot to slide it up before going to bed and was woken up in the middle of the night by screaming notification. I'll save you description of what my wife had to tell me about it. And then how many times I forgot to slide it down in the morning and then realize I missed a call.
    The slider and automatic rules should coexist, on the lowest level of slider, all notifications, automatic rules should take over and be able to apply priority or silent as per the schedule. Additionally on special occasions (meetings, ect), user would just use the slider. I have no knowledge about why it happened that automatic rules for DND were removed in OP3 when they are native functionality in android 6 (or even 5 IIRC). I can only suspect that Oxygen devs had no time to combine the functionality of both, the slider and the automatic rules under pressure of time just before the phone release and decided to leave out automatic rules to have the slider working, because lets face it, they couldn't let the phone out with one of the buttons and marketing points not working.
    My regrets are that later on despite lot of post on OnePlus forums asking or automatic DND rules to be restored, nobody from OnePlus (to my knowledge) commented on it. I don't know what is the status now in official or community builds.
    The small thing was lack of full RRO Layers theming support. Only basic theming which was native in android code was working. But that's cosmetics. It wasn't bad with stock black mode (Thank you! Thank you for black mode, Google look and learn!).
    I hope OP3 will be treated equally with OP3T when it comes to development and updates.

ihonize, otto2, AcmE85 and 3 others like this.
  5. vaibhav.singh.14cse Cupcake Nov 21, 2016

6. Aditya goyal Donut Nov 21, 2016

7. AcmE85 Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2016

AcmE85, Nov 22, 2016 :
    @Natakranta @otto2

What I think is even more important and was not really voiced so far is that by releasing the full camera experience for custom roms, the OP3 will be future-proof.

We all know that OnePlus will start neglecting the OP3 at some point. Maybe in a year, maybe two.
    So once this happens it is either staying on old software, switching to a custom-rom with subpar camera, or selling the device. I am planing to keep it for at least two years like I did with my OPO.

ihonize, Dunnow and Natakranta like this.
  8. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 22, 2016

Dunnow, Nov 22, 2016 :
    They made ALL their money due to it. And COS. If this company was not to be open and helpfull to the community NO ONE would've gone to them.

ihonize, AcmE85 and Natakranta like this.
  9. AcmE85 Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2016

AcmE85, Nov 22, 2016 :
    That's an important fact. Early adopters were tinkerers who knew Cyanogen.
    I recommended the OPO to four different people who wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

otto2 and Natakranta like this.
  10. otto2 Lollipop Nov 22, 2016

otto2, Nov 22, 2016 :
    At the beginning the tech geeks and enthusiast and individual minded people ,the early adopters were the most important group for oneplus as for every tech based manufacturer with a new kind of product. They earned a reputation ,but now situation is changing. The tech geeks are still important, but as more devices they re selling,as more "common people" will buy the devices. Developers now are more for marketing ,to show that the phone is not as a samsung or apple. Remember- Carl always wanted to make an android phone as cool as an apple iphone. As a startup they got no money ,so they decided to be cool on another part,where apple wont be able to follow- unlocking bootloader without loosing warranty. But later they found out,that s not enough, some proprietory hardware drivers etc. which couldn t get released due to license issues were not really helpful for alternative rom developers. . Oneplus had learned from the OP2 flame wars, as carl stated in the last XDA interview, we will see , how they will release necessary code in future.

papolytic likes this.
  11. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Nov 22, 2016

Dunnow, Nov 22, 2016 :
    Carl also stated on that same exact interview that they learned and they were going back to the core hardcore enthusiasts and not the plain dumb 10IQ masses.

That the RESPECT to those is more important than what they've been doing. So, what's your point exactly?

They are off the hook?

I've had a device that has been worthless for a year already and NO ATTENTION has been given to it really? Or to allow them to LIE about ETA and provide a ******* CB LAST DAY of the quarter they promised to provide FINAL build?

ihonize likes this.
  12. Natakranta Gingerbread Nov 22, 2016

Natakranta, Nov 22, 2016 :
    That's what I wrote earlier on. The role of tech enthusiasts, tinkerers, and hardcore ROM flashers can't be overestimated. They may be getting smaller in numbers with the brand getting wider recognition, but these are the people who are doing actual sales for OnePlus. They tell their friends and family buy this phone and not the other.
    It's not the OnePlus marketing campaign, which lets be honest, as much as it grew since non existence in early OPO days, it's still nothing to what big guys burn on their flag ships marketing campaigns.
    That's why Carl is talking about going back to roots with OP3, directing efforts towards independent developers community. But words thrown on Internet cost nothing. I 'd like to see these words to become flesh and blood.

13. dexterouz Froyo Nov 24, 2016

14. maxverheij99 Cupcake Nov 25, 2016

15. sairam96 Cupcake Nov 27, 2016

sairam96, Nov 27, 2016 :
    it is good that u r releasing device trees but we r expecting is u make ROM not third party developer

16. papolytic Gingerbread Dec 1, 2016

papolytic, Dec 1, 2016 :
    I appreciate these posts because there's so few like it on this forum. Same goes for @Natakranta . I think it's true that mostly (probably by a long amount) people buying phones, whatever type are just users, not interested in hacking.

But :: Then there's the XDA (and other like sites) crowd. It is really a crowd and they have (last I checked) over ~200K subscribers (I haven't checked that for years) , many perhaps most of whom are interested in development, even if most of them are just interested in what others have developed and never develop anything themselves. For the OPT3 group (and OP3) , this is a big chunk of people.

Also: It's not as if this isn't a two-way street. The OP developers are plenty busy doing the basic stuff of smartphones. The developers over on the dev sites are busy doing the new exciting stuff (ROMs, Kernels, mods, etc). So the question or issue is how much interplay and crossover is there. How many new ideas and implementation come to OP (and other companies) from the ideas developed by us hackers? I know there's a lot because I collect bounties for coming up with fixes for issues on all types of phones, set top boxes etc, that their own devs have no time to do. Both parties benefit if they do take a bit of time to figure out how to release complex blobs (for camera or whatever).

I hope OP decides to be that sort of company. Their rhetoric makes them appear to sound that way, but the actions will determine it. Personally I actually like their Oxygen OS quite a lot and am working on a few bugs that are minor annoyances. Thanks you two for your thoughtful posts.

Edit: I just checked XDA forums and they've currently got 6.6 million subscribers, averaging about 60K online at the moment. So much for my 200K guess.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

Natakranta likes this.
  17. G_朱建宇_FfPF Cupcake Dec 12, 2016

18. WFirm Cupcake Dec 13, 2016

19. Sriee Dinesh Cupcake Jan 4, 2017

20. Ceasedd Marshmallow Jan 15, 2017

Ceasedd, Jan 15, 2017 :
    Shots fired..https://www.xda-developers.com/xda-developers-urges-oneplus-to-comply-with-gplv2-and-release-kernel-sources

schlomm.darmann likes this.