DR-1 - Troubleshooting

1. Palladni
    Eclair Apr 8, 2015

Palladni , Apr 8, 2015 :
    So I just received my DR-1 and I'm kinda disappointed - I hope I'm the only one experiancing those issues, but just in case I'm not - lets have all the issues described here.
    [​IMG]

This is my first drone, and I'm overwhelmed by the out of the box issues:
    #1 Two rotor wings were bent and made the drone slide rather than fly
    #2 Charger doesn't behave like described in instructions - or doesn't work at all

#1 - broken rotors
    SOLVED
    - Solution somewhere below.

After unboxing, I tried right away to fly it - thats when I noticed that my DR-1 doesn't fly.
    The rotors were spinning very fast, yet the drone didn't go up - it just slided on the floor.
    At this point, I noticed that one of the rotors was bent way too much - so I changed it using the tool they gave with the DR-1.
    After changing it, it was still sliding - but way slower than before, and thats when I noticed that the other rotor was also bent - but not as much as the previous one.

So I already replaced two rotors and the DR-1 has not flied a bit - it doesn't even fall of the table, it just stays in one place - more or less...

So I read the instruction few times, and though - ok, it came in discharged...

SOLUTION:
    Rotors are not universal - each of the rotors has to be placed where they belong.
    Before unmounting, take a pic or analyse the picture at paragraph 4 attached with instruction - it's not that straight forward, but you will get there.

#2 - charger
    SOLVED - Solution somewhere below.

Now this is a whole other story, and may be the cause of #1 problem.
    The instruction says:
    [​IMG]

And yet, after plugging in the drone-end it already lights up!
    [​IMG]

And after plugging it into USB port, it turns off - as if the drone was fully charged (which can't be true)
    [​IMG]

So it's the very opposite of what OnePlus team put in the instructions.
    I've tried to charge it while it was on/off and no effect - DR-1 does not fly - at least not for me.

SOLUTION:
    The USB cable works fine, it just doesn't behave as described in the manual.
    - Turn off the DR-1
    - Connect the charging cable
    - Don't expect the USB plug to light up - it won't, but the DR-1 will charge.

_/_/_/
    Now I've completely discharged it and I'm hoping - that despite of the USB built-in led turned off - it will charge my drone... I also have a video of me trying to fly it, I'll probably upload as a proof if needed.

Will keep you posted.

#UPDATE
    Despite the charger not behaving like described, it seems that the DR-1 is charging - but still not flying.
    Rotors seem to be spinning at full speed (can't imagine it being even louder than now)...
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions from more experienced drone users? : )

ps. as usual, sorry for my english all you grammar nazis

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

XGUESS likes this.
  2. SayMyName
    Jelly Bean Apr 8, 2015

3. xoqes88
    Jelly Bean Apr 8, 2015

xoqes88 , Apr 8, 2015 :
    That's what you get for April's Fool!

Ahah, just kidding.

The thing is rubbish so I already expect problems like that. It is cheap, it is very small and it is very fragile. If people want a small drone they need to spend at least 100 bucks. For 20 you get that

4. HTK
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2015

HTK , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Agree.. There are a lot of idiots in the Internet.

5. Palladni
    Eclair Apr 8, 2015

Palladni , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Well, I've seen cheaper drones that looked - more or less - exactly like DR-1, and those drones worked perfectly fine.

And yeah - I would expect it to fly for at least one second... Or at least to charge...

6. xoqes88
    Jelly Bean Apr 8, 2015

xoqes88 , Apr 8, 2015 :
    I know I know.

But you still need to realise how and why that thing is cheap. And it was an April's Fool so don't expect a fantastic product. In the end of the day, it is just a toy

7. addam
    KitKat Apr 8, 2015

addam , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Look on amazon for part for the cx10. They have blades, chargers, motors, ect.
    Small r/c's are like big r/c's, money pits.

8. Palladni
    Eclair Apr 8, 2015

Palladni , Apr 8, 2015 :
    It's not a toy.
    And it's not me saying that :D :D
    [​IMG]

zygi10s, Reus and theapu like this.
  9. Zachsaxe
    Lollipop Apr 8, 2015

Zachsaxe , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Sold mine for $65

10. VenomousSVT
    Froyo Apr 8, 2015

theapu and relic242 like this.
  11. Palladni
    Eclair Apr 8, 2015

Palladni , Apr 8, 2015 :
    By doing what? Not charging it before using it?
    Instruction doesn't say that it should be fully charged before first flight... Or does it?
    Point it out for me, or be more specific buddy.

theapu likes this.
  12. jamesmcclean
    Gingerbread Apr 8, 2015

13. Palladni
    Eclair Apr 8, 2015

Palladni , Apr 8, 2015 :
    #UPDATE
    Despite the charger not behaving like described, it seems that the DR-1 is charging - but still not flying.
    Rotors seem to be spinning at full speed (can't imagine it being even louder than now)...
    [​IMG]

14. mvilella
    Froyo Apr 8, 2015

mvilella , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Ehm... I'm an experienced drone user. I designed and built one a few months ago.
    Without the instructions given by OnePlus or anything that can help me see what the problem is I can't help you further than with these few points:
    • Did you switch the power switch to off in the DR-1 while charging? This is a pretty important thing.
    • Do you know what kind of battery does the drone have? LiPo 1s, LiPo 2s... And how many mAh does it store.
    • If you believe that the DR-1 is fully charged try to hold it in your hand, in the air, and rise the throttle stick up. Do not let it go, always keep it in your hand or you could break it if it falls... Try to feel if it's actually holding by itself of what is it doing. Keep rising the throttle if it doesn't feel like sustaining in the air by itself.
    • Doing the same thing as in the third point, try to give it full power from no-power straight away. In other words, rise the throttle stick to it's maximum from it's minimum in a flash. Feel/see what it happens. Is the drone trying to lift off? Would it still be falling to the ground? Remember to not let it go even if it tries to lift off, you'd probably loose control of it and break it.
    • Do you know what's the utility of these two other red buttons in your controller? Drones usually have various flight modes and one of them uses to be altitude hold, where the drone tries to maintain the same altitude at all costs and then even if you rise the throttle to maximum it wouldn't lift off.
    • Do the pitch/yaw throttle work? Can you actually control in which way does the quadcopter go? Even if it doesn't lift off.
    • This may be a stupid question since this drone is very cheap but, can it be controller with any other way than with the controller? Does it support computer/phone-guidance?
    I'm sorry to not be of more assistance buddy, but I really didn't pay much attention to the DR-1 and I know nothing about it's specs :(.

I'm here for any question ;),

15. Teresa loizos
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2015

16. gmo8492
    Lollipop Apr 8, 2015

17. JNamorado
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2015

JNamorado , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Dont expect to get 'apointed' about it, its an april fools joke.. Look at that size.. If you want to get in the hobby more seriously look at cheerson cx20, for example.

18. godspeed
    Jelly Bean Apr 8, 2015

godspeed , Apr 8, 2015 :
    Its probably just afraid of flying.

TakeMyMoney likes this.
  19. xoqes88
    Jelly Bean Apr 8, 2015

xoqes88 , Apr 8, 2015 :
    It a toy disguised as a gadget. Better now?

Tell me, what's the purpose of that drone? what are you doing with it?

20. Nintendam
    Froyo Apr 8, 2015

Nintendam , Apr 8, 2015 :
    check and make sure all the propellers are in the right place.... each one is unique, its not just red/blue

amorales2 and Palladni like this.