Droid Life - OnePlus X Might Struggle With LTE in the US

1. Radeon962
    KitKat Nov 6, 2015

Radeon962 , Nov 6, 2015 :
    From Droid Life:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/04/oneplus-x-might-struggle-with-lte-in-the-us/

OnePlus announced the OnePlus X, a nicely designed, budget-friendly unlocked smartphone for the global market. At the time of announcement, OnePlus gave out a list of LTE bands supported by the device, which many noticed was very lacking in terms of US support.

We reached to OnePlus, asking if the list of bands was indeed accurate, and unfortunately, the company’s response confirms that anyone who purchases this device in the US may struggle with LTE connection.

As listed for the OnePlus X, bands supported are Band 1, Band 2, Band 4, Band 5, Band 7, and Band 8. Here in the US, to be a desirable unlocked smartphone, the device would need to feature Band 12 and Band 17, which is what AT&T and T-Mobile have for low-frequency coverage. The 700MHz spectrum is usually what gives you service while inside of buildings, in suburban neighborhoods, and across rural areas of the land.

The devices does come with Band 4 support, but again, AT&T uses Band 17 for most of its LTE network. If you were to use this phone with AT&T, your LTE connection may not be that reliable.

This is the response we received from OnePlus when we asked about the supported bands, and if there were plans to add support for Band 17.

"The bands listed on the spec sheet are correct. We have no plans for adding more bands right now".

Even with the $249 price, there are plenty of other similar devices that can at least deliver a solid 4G LTE for a reasonable price. The Moto G (3rd Gen) is a prime example.

If 4G LTE is not a priority for you, that’s fine, and you can order the device starting November 19. Keep in mind, you will need an invite to buy it.

Christian_yn and miladaria like this.
  2. Radeon962
    KitKat Nov 6, 2015

Why in the hell would you buy the X if you live in the US. I realize it's cheap and design looks great but if you don't get LTE, what's the point?

Do you have dial up at home and don't mind the drop in speed on your phone.

I received an invite and claimed it already but reading everything I have on the X I'm trying to figure out why I should buy one.

I have bought and owned the One and Two and had intended to get the X but I can't do without LTE coverage.

Chime in if you are in the US and what is drawing you to the X knowing LTE coverage will be an issue.

3. Gary Kantner
    Gingerbread Nov 6, 2015

Gary Kantner , Nov 6, 2015 :
    I was really looking forward to buying this phone until I saw it didn't have the band 17. Thats what I'm on when I in my house.:(:eek:

Radeon962 likes this.
  4. Radeon962
    KitKat Nov 6, 2015

As are most of the potential customers in the US.

I guess I that's where the question stems from as to what OnePlus is thinking, if they do at all.

Why have a special release for the US when the phone is purposely gimped and subject OnePlus to a backlash again from people that have no clue that it will not work?

5. miladaria
    Cupcake Nov 6, 2015

miladaria , Nov 6, 2015 :
    I changed my mind, I would not buy any product from one plus unless:
    1) They get rid of invite system.
    2) Providing all LTE bands like other phones
    3) better customer service!
    4) make it cheaper under 200$.
    5) considering the fact that this company do not pay for advertisement , a real customer service in any country this phone is not as cheap as you think!

6. jimbraden1970
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2015

jimbraden1970 , Dec 9, 2015 :
    Without 4G LTE coverage in the US, I will not consider the OnePlus X. I'll just let my invite expire.

7. pgidia
    Lollipop Dec 9, 2015

Ceasedd likes this.
  8. Kennedy14
    Gingerbread Dec 9, 2015

Kennedy14 , Dec 9, 2015 :
    Works great with Tmobile Has a stronger LTE signal than my Apple product that is a so called flagship that is comfortably sitting in my top drawer

Ceasedd likes this.
  9. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 9, 2015

10. hippoz
    Gingerbread Dec 9, 2015

hippoz , Dec 9, 2015 :
    On t-mobile here in the US. The highest speed I've seen is around 2000 KB/sec it usually hangs around 800 but dips and drops to 200 low end. That's on LTE. Not bad really unlimited LTE though through February. We pay $76 total per month for 2 phones, that's unlimited data, text. Had that plan for years. I wonder if pre-paid would be a better deal nowdays but I'm liking the speed.

meatandy and Ceasedd like this.
  11. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Dec 9, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Dec 9, 2015 :
    In my area, OPX is a No-No if you are an AT&T customer. The highest my brother gets is H. However, luckily for me, he does not care about LTE as he prefers Wi-Fi.:)

P.S. There are tons of Optimum Hotspots in NYC.:) By the way, I use OPO - no major problems here.:)

nyzproof333 and meatandy like this.
  12. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Dec 9, 2015

13. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 9, 2015

Ceasedd , Dec 9, 2015 :
    Shut the FAQ up.LTE works fine In the U.S.

14. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 9, 2015

Ceasedd , Dec 9, 2015 :
    You're being miss informed by this copy paste.

15. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 9, 2015

Radeon962 , Dec 9, 2015 :
    Depends what Band you connect to. I'm on Band 17 with AT&T at home and at the office. Band 17 is not supported by the OPX.

If you connect using the other AT&T Bands where you are at LTE should not be an issue for you. For me, no dice.

On home WiFi speeds on the 2.4ghz band were fine and similar to my other phones. Problem is I'm not on wifi at the office or other the road in SE Michigan so data speeds do matter for me and my use.

My speed test is attached.

IMG_4066.PNG

16. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 9, 2015

Ceasedd , Dec 9, 2015 :
    No band 4 where you are?

nyzproof333 likes this.
  17. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 9, 2015

Checked the specs listed by OnePlus as you seem to suggest that you know where I live and what bands are available?

https://oneplus.net/x/specs

North America: GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz
    WCDMA: Bands 1/2/4/5/8
    FDD-LTE: Bands 1/2/4/5/7/8
    CDMA EVDO: -

18. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 9, 2015

19. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 9, 2015

Ceasedd , Dec 9, 2015 :
    I know the specs,you just sound very whiny.East Chigago I guess.2,4 and 5 work on AT&T Screenshot_2015-12-09-10-06-17.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

nyzproof333 likes this.
  20. Radeon962
    KitKat Dec 9, 2015

Not whining just providing my experience with the X while I had it. SE Michigan not east Chicago by the way.

Funny, I had changed my avatar the other day to a 'No Whining' sign I came across in downtown Grand Rapids during Art Prize.

I don't base my judgment on a phone by what others say as each person uses their phone differently. I subscribe to the buy and try method as in the case of OnePlus X it is difficult to tell what your experience will be if you don't actually have it in your hands and try it out as a daily driver.