Dropped my opo and it won't boot.

1. demongokul Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 30, 2015

demongokul, Nov 30, 2015 :
    Maybe your buttons not working?

2. hasanacar Gingerbread Nov 30, 2015

hasanacar, Nov 30, 2015 :
    May be u r right.. but I eliminitated that since I could have a fast boot and a nearly power on experience.. but still this does not mean u r not right.. how Can i test it. I don't know ?

3. C.Clowers Gingerbread Nov 30, 2015

hasanacar likes this.
  4. Gary Gin Donut Dec 1, 2015

Gary Gin, Dec 1, 2015 :
    You may have damaged something inside, even though you don't see much damage outside. The solder joints on surface mounts are very thin and may have cracked, and may be disconnected or intermittent. One way to test that theory is to heat the unit with a hair dryer and attempt to reboot. If you see a difference in behavior, then some mechanical connection has been compromised. There's probably very little hope of reviving the unit.

One other trick is to put it in a bag of rice for a day or two. Then try to re-start. Rice is a desiccant and will take up all moisture from the unit (your OnePlus came with a desiccant packet). The act of dropping the unit may have opened something and allowed moisture to creep in.

Someone's suggestion of lightly dropping it flat on a carpet is a good idea. This may jolt the connections in place. Drop it from both sides and see what happens. Even tapping the unit might help.

Your unit most likely suffered shock damage. There's probably a hundred places where there might be micro-cracks. If you're lucky, it may be just a thin ribbon cable that is loose. As a test, you might dismantle the unit and disconnect and reconnect all electrical connectors (thin ribbon cables, etc.). This is probably the most useful activity in trying to revive your OnePlus.

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

hasanacar and ramli7 like this.
  5. rupeshgrg11 Cupcake Dec 1, 2015

6. hasanacar Gingerbread Dec 1, 2015

hasanacar, Dec 1, 2015 :

I have disassabmled as much as I can, including battery, and most of the cables inside. And then I assembled back by carefully pressing all the connector to the board. and Also I tried to apply plressure on the device from diffferent parts, for the case that there might be a slight connection issue somwwhere inside.. but no effect. So I left in on charger lastnight and will see tonight after charging for 18 + Hour. somebody has experienced good results after this. Do you have any suggestion about a charge, rest procedure ?

7. ramli7 KitKat Dec 1, 2015

ramli7, Dec 1, 2015 :
    Have you checked the power and volume buttons for any short or open conditions ?

8. Gary Gin Donut Dec 1, 2015

Gary Gin, Dec 1, 2015 :
    Strange as it may seem, the battery itself might have been damaged. A dropped battery may suddenly lose it's charge. When you dismantle the unit, check the voltage on the battery. It should probably be somewhere near 5.2V.

9. hasanacar Gingerbread Dec 2, 2015

hasanacar, Dec 2, 2015 :

24+ hours of charging and then trying to power on did not work. I tried on a windows 7 and a windows 8 machine to see if it they react to phone, no go.. SO I hooked up to charger again, and tonight may be I willl try on a windows 10 machine, as it worked for someone, and also may be that hair dryer heating trick.. Or should I set my self to say goodbye to my lovely opo :( ...

10. demongokul Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2015

demongokul, Dec 3, 2015 :
    I dont have any clue sorry.

hasanacar likes this.
  11. Gary Gin Donut Dec 3, 2015

Gary Gin, Dec 3, 2015 :
    Hope for best and prepare for the worst. Just remember, the more drastic the symptoms, the more simple the solution.

hasanacar and PaulF8080 like this.
  12. charlie2809 Cupcake Dec 16, 2015

charlie2809, Dec 16, 2015 :
    Did you solve this problem? I just dropped my phone today and I have almost same symptoms as you (black screen, no response to anything). Only thing is that I have not seen any signs of life (no logo, no vibrations ect.), but it gets hot when i charge it.
    Hope you found a solution which will help me to!

13. vijitha0303 Cupcake Jun 2, 2016

vijitha0303, Jun 2, 2016 :
    Hello! I dropped my OPO last night and now it won't power up - I am not too fussed about the phone but I didn't back up any of my photos. Is there a way I can try to get it to turn on? I have tried the power button down for 5 times but there is nothing. I would appreciate any help! :)

14. mwayner Lollipop Jun 3, 2016

mwayner, Jun 3, 2016 :
    @Gonzo01, @Reboot101? Could you offer some guidance here? :)

Gonzo01 likes this.
  15. Gonzo01 Lollipop Jun 3, 2016

Gonzo01, Jun 3, 2016 :
    seems he already tried all. the only thing left is really serious repair, like re-soldering all connectors, terminals, checking connectivity of all wires, etc... :)

mwayner likes this.
  16. Dr. Indest Lollipop Jun 3, 2016

Dr. Indest, Jun 3, 2016 :
    Press the power button + volume down for 3 min. If it turns on, you are solid. If not, I have bad news for you :(.

Gonzo01 and mwayner like this.
  17. MaximChicu Gingerbread Jun 5, 2019

MaximChicu, Jun 5, 2019 :
    Hi, any updates? Did you maybe give your OPO to someone to do diagnostics on it? Or you put it away and forgot about it?

Thanks in advance for a response.