Dual-Boot With Android and ubuntu

1. vineesh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 30, 2014

vineesh , Jul 30, 2014 :
    did anyone tried dual boot ubuntu with android
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Canonical have announced a new dual boot mode for using Ubuntu Touch and Android on the same device.

The new feature – a developer preview – will let developers quickly move between Google’s perennial Android mobile OS and Canonical’s fledgling Ubuntu mobile OS. Canonical say that the dual boot mode should work with a number of Android flavours – including stock releases and CyanogenMod – for Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and up.

The new feature comes with an app for both platforms that will let you install and reboot into Ubuntu Touch from Android and reboot back into Android from Ubuntu Touch whenever you wish.

So for developers who aren’t willing to or can’t make Ubuntu Touch their daily driver, this new feature puts Canonical’s mobile OS just one click away.

“Dual boot is not a feature suitable for regular users.”

Canonical, of course, caution that this should only be used by developers“comfortable with flashing devices and with their partition layout.” The dual boot feature will overwrite your Android recovery partition, so exercise caution if you’re a developer wanting to give this a shot.

The requirements include:

• A Nexus 4 phone (other Nexus devices may work, but haven’t been tested)
    • Android 4.2 or higher with a stock, AOSP, or CyanogenMod-based release
    • 2.7GB of free storage on the device
    • Android’s adb tools installed on your PC
    • Bootloader unlocked
    • USB debugging enabled

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

2. onevilas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

3. oldguybob
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

oldguybob , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Ughhh ... Too much work. Ubuntu is great in concept and annoying as hell in execution. Just not worth all the hassle in setting up and tweaking. In my opinion.

4. sam5mith
    Donut Jul 30, 2014

5. snorrski
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

snorrski , Jul 30, 2014 :
    This may be a stupid question, but what does Ubuntu give you, that Android doesn't?

6. onevilas
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

7. tagline15
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

8. mattc
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

9. jeff_dunn
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

jeff_dunn , Jul 30, 2014 :
    I had this running on my Galaxy Nexus last year.....wasn't worth it. It was far too slow to be useable and hardly any of the functionality was there yet. I think that Ubuntu for Android is DOA honestly.

Dexter Morgan likes this.
  10. Matt7262

Matt7262 , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Is that screenshot from a OnePlus One?

11. vineesh

vineesh , Jul 30, 2014 :
    no .
    i was thinking to try it on one plus one when i get

Matt7262 likes this.
  12. Smilefant
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2014

BenitaFrida likes this.
  13. nem3sis
    Jelly Bean Jul 30, 2014

14. Milad
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2014

15. Milad
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2014

Milad , Jul 30, 2014 :
    Just saw the video, great concept but a phone isn't as powerfull as a PC not the same architecture for CPU for example.
    But the hardware does pass for easy stuff like browsing email facebooking or writing documents.
    Plus ubuntu is pretty fast.

vineesh likes this.
  16. MidnightJava
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2014

MidnightJava , Jul 30, 2014 :
    I'd like to try this as soon as I get a phone with more power and storage space than my ancient HTC. That will be either a G3 or a OPO if I get an invite by Aug 10, when my contract runs out.

I've used Ubuntu for years, but I think it's deteriorated quite a bit in the last year or two. I'd like to try dual boot on a mobile device just to do it and learn how to make it work. I can't imagine ever wanting to use Ubuntu on a mobile, but it would be nice to at least try it.

17. portia
    Gingerbread Aug 7, 2014

portia , Aug 7, 2014 :
    Yes, they are both based on the Linux kernel.

18. ttaiw
    Donut Aug 20, 2014

19. javilaca
    Honeycomb Aug 20, 2014

javilaca , Aug 20, 2014 :
    Real applications!

SomniusX likes this.
  20. Lowman
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 20, 2014

Lowman , Aug 20, 2014 :
    Full operating system which would finally allow me to develop in the phone/tablet while traveling.
    I kind of can do that on Android but it is not as comfortable as it should be.
    I once owned Asus Transformer (first version) and as soon as I "ported" it to Ubuntu that was very usable device.