dual SIM issues

1. chistery
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2015

chistery , Sep 2, 2015 :
    If you have 4G active on one SIM, what is the other SIM limited to? I am assuming 2G?

I have an EE and Three SIM. When I have data enabled on the EE SIM, I can't get my Three SIM to connect.

If the Three SIM has data enabled, the EE SIM is working.

Three don't go 2G here, so I'm assuming the non-data SIM is limited to 2G. Can anyone confirm?

2. scrivz69
    Jelly Bean Sep 2, 2015

scrivz69 , Sep 2, 2015 :
    You can only use one network at a time and not both at the same time, been like that since dual sim came out.

3. chistery
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2015

4. Maddizm
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2015

Maddizm , Sep 2, 2015 :
    Yes I have questions about this as well. I currently have an Xperia Z3 with dual sim. It's 'ok.' Both ports support 4G LTE however, only one can be on LTE at a time while the other one is kicked back to GSM (2G)? It kinda causes problems for me when I send MMS through the 'other' SIM when it's not on LTE. I can receiving voice calls on both, however, the behavior is inconsistent when I'm talking on one line and someone calls in on the other. I have to end the first call. Can't switch back and forth unless it's on the same line.

I'm kind of wondering about the OP2's layout in this regard too.

5. Denco1
    Gingerbread Sep 2, 2015

Denco1 , Sep 2, 2015 :
    I can confirm you're correct.

Arshad14 and chistery like this.
  6. Denco1
    Gingerbread Sep 2, 2015

Denco1 , Sep 2, 2015 :
    The OnePlus 2 is the same.

Arshad14 likes this.
  7. scrivz69
    Jelly Bean Sep 2, 2015

scrivz69 , Sep 2, 2015 :
    Sorry meant for data only, calls should be a different matter as that is the point of dual sim.

8. chistery
    Honeycomb Sep 2, 2015

chistery , Sep 2, 2015 :
    So the non data SIM is limited to 2G, so you can't use Three UK in this case as they don't have 2G fallback in the majority of cases. Thanks.

9. avsroy
    Gingerbread Sep 2, 2015

avsroy , Sep 2, 2015 :
    To date I have only seen Samsung offer Dual Active configuration is some of their models. That is an option which allows both SIMs to be active at all times. So even when you are on a call on one SIM the other one is active and does not go offline. Of course, there is a battery life penalty for this mode. But very useful if both the numbers are in use frequently for Voice or Data calling. However, when one is 3/4 G, the other kicks back to 2G ... basically those phones have 2 radios in them ...

Frecce D'Oro likes this.
  10. Arshad14
    Eclair Sep 28, 2015

Arshad14 , Sep 28, 2015 :
    I have the OnePlus 2 (A2005) and am using it in Canada. SIM 1 on Telus (4G/LTE) and SIM 2 on Wind. When I want to use data on Wind, it switches SIM1 down to 2G. Except neither Telus nor Wind has 2G. So when I choose either one for data, it shuts down the other one completely due to lack of 2G. It doesn't just step it down to 3G. This makes the phone pointless for me. Due to their advertising I was hoping that both would be 4G simultaneously, not 4G on one and 2G on the other.

Hope this helps answer the question from some users here. I had the same question and tried looking around and never got a straight answer until I tried it for myself and found the answer.

LostBoyNZ likes this.
  11. Djburton
    Cupcake Sep 28, 2015

Djburton , Sep 28, 2015 :
    This answers the questions I had. Because wind has unlimited data plans. I thought this would be a super win for cheap data. Kinda sucks that it kicks down to 2g which doesn't exist anymore. Hopefully it's just software and maybe this can be rectified in the future of the OP2. Thanks for the research and looks like I have to just pay stupid prices for data and voice on one sim.

12. josefn24
    Jelly Bean Sep 28, 2015

josefn24 , Sep 28, 2015 :
    Had the same experience here on 2 bell sims. Thought it was the software. I was reading at one time that they hadn't finished it yet for this function. I haven't tested it on oxygen 2.1 yet though but I dont expect anything until the next major update. I didn't buy this phone for the dual sim I just wanted to test it out however for some people this will be a deal breaker if its not fixed.

13. evilone
    Jelly Bean Sep 28, 2015

evilone , Sep 28, 2015 :
    Yes, that is usually how it works

14. Artaios
    Froyo Sep 28, 2015

Artaios , Sep 28, 2015 :
    Wow, that would be a mayor issue for me too. I was used to Samsungs dual sim like my wifes S6 duos wich is providing dual active sim. What I understand from OPT antenna setup this is most likly not only a software issue but a hardware design which would be not possible to fix. Pls OnePlus comment on this, because this could be a go or no go for my decission as well. Thank you.

15. yiddyuk
    Gingerbread Oct 4, 2015

yiddyuk , Oct 4, 2015 :
    is there any way of making that the sim that's not used for data shouldn't fall back to 2g so that 3 should work

16. LostBoyNZ
    Gingerbread Oct 4, 2015

LostBoyNZ , Oct 4, 2015 :
    Luckily in NZ we still have huge support for 2G so my second work sim which I'll only user for calls anyway should be fine.

Thanks for all the info

17. evilone
    Jelly Bean Oct 4, 2015

evilone , Oct 4, 2015 :
    Depends on the options provided by the OS, on my phone (not OP2) I can force a SIM to use just 2G but that is only possible if the OS allows it or have the option for it

yiddyuk likes this.
  18. yiddyuk
    Gingerbread Oct 4, 2015

yiddyuk , Oct 4, 2015 :
    We'll but if the os doesn't give the option but I'm rooted is there any way to change it by changing some permissions

19. evilone
    Jelly Bean Oct 4, 2015

evilone , Oct 4, 2015 :
    seems more like the feature is not implemented at all

20. uniphone
    Froyo Dec 17, 2015

uniphone , Dec 17, 2015 :
    I have exactly the same problem EE and Three, same setup SIM1=Three for Voice and SMS and SIM2=EE for Data only
    Did you ever get it resolved? After a reboot it briefly works but a moment later only see one SIM in the top status bar, although in the menu both show as working.