Dual SIM - select SIM based on phone number

1. sky76
    Eclair Apr 9, 2017

sky76 , Apr 9, 2017 :
    Hi guys!

I have a Dual SIM 3T and would like to use a preferred SIM based on contacts or numbers when calling or texting (with the options: set SIM1, set SIM2, choose SIM card and don't story my choice).

e.g.:
    SIM1 - personal contacts or numbers
    SIM2 - business contacts or numbers

This was even possible with the Motorola Moto G2. (XT-1068)

What is the point in having a dual SIM phone and being forced to call/text with ONE specific SIM for ALL contacts?

Isn't the point in using 2 SIM cards that I can phone my business contacts from my business number and to phone my personal contacts from my personal number? Otherwise I could use just one number and wouldn't need a dual SIM phone.

Besides, texting and calling with Google assistant is also impossible to do in "hands-free-mode" (e.g. in a car I would like to use ONLY my voice as an input control, but this is not possible because the SIM selection has to be done by tapping on the display).

Is there any update planned in a better SIM control for calls and text messaging?

Best regards & never settle,
    Bernhard

2. Ramdinpuia
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2017

cezarvrabie likes this.
  3. sky76
    Eclair Apr 9, 2017

sky76 , Apr 9, 2017 :
    Unfortunately this does NOT solve my problem.

I do not want a standard sim for ALL calls nor do I want to have to select it EVERY time.

I would like to have a functionality like this:

Example:
    Step 1: I make a call,
    Step 2: phone asks me which SIM I would like to use AND if I want to store this SIM slot for the contact number;
    Step 3: when I am calling the same person again in the future, the SIM is used according to the stored setting, without having to select the sim card AGAIN,
    because the slot for this individual contact is stored.

I hope this is now more clear.

4. Ramdinpuia
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2017

Ramdinpuia , Apr 9, 2017 :
    Sorry man.. Phone has never notified me of the IF I WANT TO STORE THE SIM SLOT FOR ANY PARTICULAR NUMBER.
    If by luck, If u do solve this I'd like to use it. But NOT for all my current 2000 plus contacts i sync to Google and Dropbox

5. G_plusone
    Nougat Apr 9, 2017

G_plusone , Apr 9, 2017 :
    I'm afraid oneplus doesn't have this feature as far as I know

6. Ramdinpuia
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2017

Can you please screenshot the part where the phone asks you to 'store the sim slot for the contact number"
    Because i find it strange and alien

7. Cristi_Istrate
    Froyo Apr 9, 2017

Cristi_Istrate , Apr 9, 2017 :
    I use a program called dual sim selector pro (is often on sale). It solved my problem. Is not very pretty, but ok.

8. Ramdinpuia
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2017

the part where the phone asks you to 'store the sim slot for the contact number... Has anyone else seen it??

9. sky76
    Eclair Apr 10, 2017

sky76 , Apr 10, 2017 :
    This feature does not exist on the OnePlus 3T.
    But on the cheap and shitty Moto G2 it did.

Here is a screenshot how it looked like on the Motorola XT-1068 AKA Motorola Moto G2:

And here another screenshot (probably different Android or CallerApp version, but same phone, I had this phone before I bought the OP3T):

So, once again:
    You make a call to a person for the 1st time,
    the phone app asks you which SIM to use,
    below is a checkbox to save this choice FOR THIS NUMBER only.
    Next time you call that person's number it uses the individually selected SIM automatically. :)

No big deal but a big improvement for life.

I have ~1000 contacts stored, but most of the time I call 40 people privately and 40 people for business, so I have to switch SIM often from one call to another just becuse a few numbers.

I don't mind doing the checkmark for 80 numbers once and not needing to do it for each 100 subsequent calls for each number is a HUGE improvement.

Does anyone here really use Dual SIM functionality i. a way like number1=personal, number2=business?

It is a miracke to me that no one misses this feature, it is IMHO the most important thing a Dual SIM phone should have.

Q1565686450705 and ToruOgiwara like this.
  10. sky76
    Eclair Apr 10, 2017

11. sky76
    Eclair Apr 10, 2017

12. AltLin16
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 10, 2017

AltLin16 , Apr 10, 2017 :
    that's an interesting thread caus I was contemplating to put my business Sim in slot 2. obviously I'd want to link all my office contacts to it and not my personal one.

sky76 likes this.
  13. AltLin16

and if that isn't possible but only the two extremes of having a default or choose each time. it would be rather disappointing.

14. Brooklyn701
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2017

Brooklyn701 , Apr 10, 2017 :
    The feature is a standard feature (or was in 5.1). since the OnePlus 3T is my first phone above 5.1 I'm not sure if they've not activated it on Oxygen OS or if it's been removed since 6.0.

If it has only been forgotten to implement in Oxygen OS, then it should be easy to implement in a future update.

What also might be the case is that it's been moved to contacts instead of being set in the dailer. Have you tried looking there?

girishp and sky76 like this.
  15. zinccut
    Cupcake Apr 10, 2017

zinccut , Apr 10, 2017 :
    Use Dual sim Selector Pro. it works like a charm. need tosetup some rules after that its autonomous.

sky76 likes this.
  16. AltLin16

ok
    I found some article with the same screenshot as above that asks whether to save sim so it would indeed have been a standard feature.

Thanks for the hint. Might come back to that but first I'd like to understand how the standard set up would work or whether it is missing..

sky76 likes this.
  17. Brooklyn701
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2017

Brooklyn701 , Apr 10, 2017 :
    It definitely was one. Had it on three China phones from 4.2 over 4.4 and 5.1.

But again, I don't have a stock 6.0 or 7.0/7.1.1 to check if it's still available there. Could be that it's just not "activated" in Oxygen OS.

Will get a Pixel this week at work so I'll check there.

sky76 and AltLin16 like this.
  18. hermit.66
    Donut Apr 10, 2017

hermit.66 , Apr 10, 2017 :
    It seems that OnePlus have decided not to include much in the way of dual SIM management, which is disappointing.

I manage the use of my personal and work SIMs in my OP3 with a replacement dialler app called True Phone. This replaces the stock phone app and provides the ability to specify which SIM to use either per contact, per telephone number or based on a phone number mask. If you haven't predefined which SIM to use, then it will ask you as you are dialling and you can define whether the selection should be remembered or not. In addition to the dual SIM functionality, True Phone also provide a lot of other features including the ability to fully customise the look and feel if the dialler.

I don't often pay for apps, but the money I spent on True Phone has been well worth it.

sky76 likes this.
  19. GIBbeer
    Eclair Apr 10, 2017

GIBbeer , Apr 10, 2017 :
    I asked some time ago for same thing...
    In my case:
    SIM 1 - Private number, I want to call friends, family with it without asking or selecting SIM manually each time
    SIM 2 - Work number, I want to call clients, co-workers and boss with it without selecting SIM each time...

+1 with that, dude. I'd love to see this feature built-in, I was trying to communicate with OP devs everywhere I could but unfortunately without any response.

sky76 likes this.
  20. sky76
    Eclair Apr 16, 2017

sky76 , Apr 16, 2017 :
    Exactly, like having only one sim/one number. What is the point in having a 2nd number when people get a reply call from your 1st number? Then they would trash that 2nd number in favor of your 1st number. Besides we may not want to let people know other contact numbers.

Thanks. I've looked there (Google contacts app) but the functionality tends to be in caller apps (or some 'we gather all contact info from various sources to be the ultimate contacts/dialer app' monstrosity - which I'd like to prefer to avoid at all costs). I'd like to stick to my trusty Google Mail+Contacts+Calendar apps. :)

I already have this on my whish list. But again I would like to avoid this because maybe it gets implemented into the next OxygenOS software update...

Developers, please have a look into this feature! :)