Dunnow's OnePlus 6t McLaren edition review

1. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    [​IMG]

I was lucky enough to have your support in a contest that made me win a second device this last year (2018).

A OnePlus 6 as part of "The LAB contest" and I got this second one (6t McLaren edition) through a community unboxing video contest.

Since I was part of the reviews of the 6 I thought it would be nice to give something similar to that back to the community again, and even though, the McLaren edition is really no different than the normal 6t in most aspects, may be a nice point of view to provide.

I'll try and organize this review in a series of posts in this same thread, covering a bit of the device features.
    • Design
    • Unlock
    • Added goodies
    • Software
    • Conclusion / Personal opinion
    After all of this reviews I had the idea, if you guys are interested on holding some kind of AMA about the device, the contests I've been part of, or myself (as in forum member), so you might get your particular questions answered.

I may not have enough time to post frequently, but worry not, I'll be publishing updates in due time

2. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Design

Let's start from the thing I personally liked the most about this device. It's look.
    Personally I've seen a few versions of the latest devices already.

Both Mirror Black, Midnight Black, Silk White, Red version of the OP6 and the McLaren edition of the 6t. Have not had the opportunity to see the Lightning Purple.

I always wanted a pure black edition. Not a matte one, not a mirror shinny one, just glass + black, similar to what some BQ did a while ago, similar to the OnePlus X feel, similar to the s6 / 7 / 8 editions that were all glossy but dark.

From those that I've seen, I've got to say, the McLaren edition is the one I liked most, followed by the Silk White one.

[​IMG]

I already said back on my thread about the McLaren event but the device does really have a nice subtle touch of carbon fiber that I just love to see shine through. And a picture is better than a thousand words.

It is nothing excessive that makes the device look vulgar or overly sporty, but actually a subtle detail that only shines through at certain angles.

I also wanted a deep black version of the device, and this is the closest we get to that. :p

[​IMG]

On the bottom half you can see the orange accents of the McLaren brand, together with a discrete logo of the brand itself. Note how the orange is not painted but translucent to the light, as if it were tinted glass.

The rest is no secret to all of you guys, you've seen pictures of the OnePlus 6t everywhere. And I'm using an old shot I took from the device -sorry how dirty it was- but it's one of the ones that showcase the device how it really is.

Feel free to ask for any closeup shots of anything, I'll be glad to provide.

Regarding the feel on the hand, you can already imagine, it's quite well balanced, not particularly top or bottom heavy, which seems like a dumb thing but feels comfortable on the hand after a long time of use, I cannot say the same about all phones I've held so far.

The device is thin and feels even thinner due to the sides of it being curved to follow your hand's shape.

Once again, I love the fact that OnePlus went for glass on their devices. I'm not a clumsy person and I've still have to drop a phone to the ground for the first time, so I'm not particularly scared of the glass breaking anytime soon. Gives the device more like a polished feel, it's not just carved out of a block of aluminium or any other alloy, but carefully crafted for many peaces to fit together and accomplish a well crafted peace of hardware.

3. Nichrome Honeycomb Jan 7, 2019

4. B.yashaswi Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2019

B.yashaswi, Jan 7, 2019 :
    Would like to know how did you get to know about OnePlus and your first device of it in general your relation with oneplus and how all this started.

5. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 7, 2019

SJBoss and meatandy like this.
  6. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 7, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 7, 2019 :
    It's the demo unit from the event, mine is here all well and fine :p

Tho, that is a reflection x'D (of my phone and my index finger)

SJBoss and Cheetosdust like this.
  7. PaulGeater Cupcake Jan 10, 2019

PaulGeater, Jan 10, 2019 :
    for me I walked into t mobile and I've needed an upgrade. I've had it about a week now and I assure you it's amazing. I went through OnePlus store vs the t mobile store because they didn't have the best in stock... plus they don't offer it. I was set on the note 9 for speed and space but it's a no brainer.

B.yashaswi likes this.
  8. G_plusone Lollipop Jan 10, 2019

G_plusone, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Would like to see if it has any edge over the 6 and if the 10 Gigs of RAM make a difference ;)

meatandy likes this.
  9. PaulGeater Cupcake Jan 10, 2019

PaulGeater, Jan 10, 2019 :
    honestly I doubt nothing fully uses the 8 or 10 gigs to it's full capacity.. just like anything else for me... just having the best.

G_plusone likes this.
  10. sujayskamath Cupcake Jan 10, 2019

11. E1547153410227 Cupcake Jan 10, 2019

12. amitsheoran6696 Cupcake Jan 10, 2019

E1547153410227 likes this.
  13. 6TBag Froyo Jan 10, 2019

6TBag, Jan 10, 2019 :
    What software version are you on?

14. sommersy Jelly Bean Jan 10, 2019

meatandy likes this.
  15. meatandy Nougat Jan 10, 2019

meatandy, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Can you please share a close up picture of the screen/bezel side view?

SJBoss likes this.
  16. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 10, 2019 :
    1547159104173.jpg
    as in this?
    else just show me an example and ill reproduce it

meatandy likes this.
  17. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 10, 2019 :
    don't think were mine but just in case do NOT enter a bank, barking, and waving that as proof of ID

Ruby G., sommersy and meatandy like this.
  18. meatandy Nougat Jan 10, 2019

meatandy, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Ok , I thought the metal chamfer below the screen was orange as well.:(

Thank you.

19. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 10, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 10, 2019 :
    I thought you were thinking that, I believe it was reflected upwards from the cars / stands that were around, from the front is just another 6t, the back is the only cosmetic difference from what I've seen compared to other 6t's

meatandy likes this.
  20. 6TBag Froyo Jan 10, 2019

6TBag, Jan 10, 2019 :
    Nope. It's only on the back curved part of the glass and it doesn't go around the entire back circumference. It's thickest around the bottom, then fades up the sides. Looks cool, but you never see it because of the case :(