Congratulations

5. jig199 Cupcake Jan 19, 2019

6. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 24, 2019

Stickied Post
    Dunnow, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Unlock

In-display fingerprint sensor.

First, let's explain how it works.

The device has a small hole in the chassis, placed under the screen panel, which allows for a small camera to be placed facing up. That camera will detect your fingerprint and read your finger to match it with one of the pre-scanned fingerprints set up upon the device boot -or added later through settings-

[​IMG]

Once the device notices a movement, and the proximity sensor is not triggered, the screen will activate itself and wait for the finger to be placed on top. In the meantime, you can get a similar screen as any other always on display tech, the time, notifications, and basic information about the device. Once the finger is pressed against the indicated area, the unlocking begins.

It does so by painting a small circle under your fingertip and setting the screen brightness up, so the camera within can read the reflected light from your finger and process the image.

[​IMG]

Notice too, that the McLaren edition has a different animation available which closely resembles an explosion of fuel. It also is real time, so, the potential good performance and speed are there.

Here's is an area where I start to have mixed feelings for though...

In one hand the under glass fingerprint sensor is a cool feature, looks great, people go like "Woah, that's cool" but in the other, I'm having issues with it way more often that I would like to.

Let me explain, with the OP6 a single tap to the back-facing fingerprint sensor unlocked the device in no time, now the conditions have to be way more in your favor to get a fast unlock, not that it fails a lot -which does- it's just slower. It's not painfully slow.

When it has decent conditions, it's a really good experience, as you can see from the gif above, but once you have a bit of dirt on the screen, or the expected conditions are not met, it just takes longer, sometimes, even a fail, which forces you to place the finger down again.

Face unlock

Obviously, this is still as good as any other OnePlus user would expect, it's fast, it's convenient and it still amazes me.
    Just turn on the screen, look at the device, and you are inside.

It really is that fast and accurate. I might even disable the "always-on"-like display for the 6t to directly default to this option and just use the fingerprint if the face unlock fails or the device is not facing me directly.

I will try to set up some demo using different unlocking methods, comparing the 6 against the 6t

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019

7. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Jan 24, 2019

Cheetosdust, Jan 24, 2019 :
    Just like their F1 engines.

White smoke would be even more accurate ;)

Shivang Joshi and G_plusone like this.
  8. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 24, 2019

Dunnow, Jan 24, 2019 :
    I got to know OnePlus when the rumors about the company started, some employees from OPPO where moving to do another approach and getting founding somewhere (BKK Electronics).

My first device was a OnePlus 2, even though I got a OnePlus 1 64gb invitation code, I gave it away since I decided I could hold onto my device back then for one more year.

The OnePlus 2 disappointed me a lot, even tho I loved and still love the design of it, the OS was too inmature and riddled with issues. You can find a lot of criticism to the company from me in this very forums, a lot.

I had public and private discussions/arguments/chats with both users and employees of the company.

The first time I saw something positive come was when @David Y. actually contacted me in private asking me what could he do to help better my point of view on the company (that was back on the OP2 era, when OnePlus was just stating a lot of things that turned out to be flat out lies or miss-guidance). That showed me that not everyone within the company was just blind to criticism.

From there, when the company ways started to change, and more and better devices came out, while the OS improved a lot, I got to the point were my "negativity" was more focused on price/performance/features than on the methods the company was using.

After a while, the company started to do things more the way I would have wanted, or at least, in a way that I could respect and understand.

So, my behavior towards stuff also changed, I started participating in contests that I trashtalked before, I took things in more of a positive point of view... I guess that thanks to being active, critical and harsh when needed granted me to be part of the winners of some contests.

I was invited to an open ears forum, given the opportunity to be a lab reviewer and the last one, part of the McLaren contest.
    Which then surprised us with being able to win a device.
    I guess that my involvement in the community + actual effort made me come ahead the competition, making me win that contest too.

So, in short, I was basically a hater during the OP2, OP3 series, then I started to change my stance about the company and devices on the 5 series (even tho, I hated the camera on the 5) and I think the 6 series are a really good device. I still would cut the price 50€ off, or add IR blaster + wireless charging, but overall, I would be happy with the device if I had paid full price for it too.

As in future relationships, having had the opportunity to meet other community members, oneplus employees (due to the forum and McLaren contest), if the company wanted me to be involved in future events or similar stuff, I would be glad to be part of it, in one part, due to personal benefit, traveling or being invited to cool stuff is cool, but in another because I'm glad some employees might see a value on my point of view, and that is something I appreciate a lot too.

9. David Y. Global Community Manager Staff Member Jan 24, 2019

David Y., Jan 24, 2019 :
    Thanks Dunnow, constructive criticism is as important as to the positive feedback. Keep up the good work.

Look forward to the rest of your review!

B.yashaswi and Shivang Joshi like this.
  10. RCurry Cupcake Jan 25, 2019

RCurry, Jan 25, 2019 :
    As I went to order the McLaren, I found that the McLaren is out of stock. Does anyone know how long until they have more? Couple days? Weeks? This will be my first OnePlus phone, can't wait!

11. D1548436558666 Donut Jan 25, 2019

D1548436558666, Jan 25, 2019 :
    I traded my Mate 20 X the other day for a McLaren am so happy with my new phone. I miss only the wide angle and lossless zoom but am hoping OnePlus will up the ante on the camera department for the upcoming OP7. [e]1f601[/e]