Earbud aptX Adaptive is Overriding Phone Setting via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. MBearr1221
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2022

MBearr1221 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 24, 2022 :
    After updating to the newest available version of the OnePlus operating system on OnePlus 9 Pro, my Bluetooth earbuds no longer want to remain in a codec that I choose, such as SBC or aptX (both of which work just fine).

I use one earbud by itself and haven't had any issues before updating. However, now every time I put the earbud back in the case to charge, and then take it back out to continue listening, it reverts to the aptX Adaptive codec, which refuses to play any audio.

Is there a way to absolutely ensure that the phones codec overrides the headsets preference? I've gone into developer settings and changed the codec but the earbuds keep switching back, almost as if they forget that they have been paired to my phone.

Phone: OnePlus 9 Pro
    Build: LE2125_11_C.40

Lori K likes this.
  2. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 24, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 24, 2022 :
    What make and model of Buds are they. Does the Buds manufacturer have an app for the Buds, which may contain an update to make them compatible with Android 12?

Aaron2017 likes this.
  3. MBearr1221
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2022

MBearr1221 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    They are Sennheiser CX Plus True Wireless.

They do have an app, which I have installed, and also updated to the latest firmware to no avail.

There is a section in the app as well that displays "Current Codec" but only shows the codec when both earbuds are out of the case and the sensor on the inside of the earbuds are triggered (which tells the earbuds they're being worn).

4. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 26, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    These are the capabilities of the Buds you have.
    1643202525664.jpg
    https://uk.pcmag.com/headphones/136408/sennheiser-cx-plus-true-wireless

In the Developer Options under the HD Audio section you have the option to set the codec you want to use. Choose one that is compatible with the Buds as mentioned in the review above. See if that can help.
    1643202589830.jpg

1643202594412.jpg

5. MBearr1221
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2022

MBearr1221 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    That's what I have to do every time I remove them from the charging case. They will default back to aptX Adaptive but the sound won't come through. I have to switch them to either SBC or standard aptX in order to get any audio.

Any internal memory on the buds (if there is any) doesn't pick up on the codec that it's being told to use by the phone, and the phone doesn't remember which codec I've told the buds to use either, so it doesn't even force the codec I've selected.

6. Caomhin

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Not sure why this would do that to be honest. I'll tag @Swejuggalo and @the_o2 and see if they have further info on the issue.

the_o2 likes this.
  7. Caomhin

Caomhin , Jan 26, 2022 :
    I note you haven't mentioned it, but have you tried to reset the Bluetooth adapter on the phone.
    Settings, System, Reset Options, Reset Phone, Reset WiFi Mobile Bluetooth.
    Restart the phone
    And also reset the Sennheiser Buds as per the manufacturers instructions
    Then pair them backup again. Check if that can help.

the_o2 likes this.
  8. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jan 27, 2022

the_o2 , Jan 27, 2022 :
    How about updating to C44.

Caomhin likes this.
  9. L1579720516402 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 19, 2022 :
    I have the exact same issue with my OnePlus 7Pro McLaren 5G and my new GrellAudio TWS earbuds (Grell was the chief engineer for Sennheiser headphones).

My phone defaults to aptX Adaptive audio, which produces no sound, and as a bonus, grinds YouTube to a halt. I have to switch over to regular aptX audio to get sound.

Both the earbuds and the phone are supposed to work with aptX Adaptive. I think it is a problem with the phone, not the earbuds.