Launcher Edge notification lights

1. bagufix
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

bagufix , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I'm an OnePlus 7 Pro user and this phone is missing a led notification but you have a nice opportunity to change it, please add the option to Horizon lights to flash for a specified amount of time
    Screenshot_20200305-154845.jpg

Small update:
    In my opinion AOD in OnePlus is unnecessary. OnePlus introduced Ambient Display and it should be developed and improved. This is what distinguishes you from other well-known companies. Buying OnePlus X (I've used this phone for over four years) I really liked the Ambient Display, after receiving the notification the screen pulsed for some time (and has a notification LED), so I think that the return to this solution and adding Horizon Lights to it would be brilliant and that's what I miss in OnePlus 7 Pro. Personally I don't use sound notifications and vibrations because I have a smartband (the smartband vibrates upon notification).
    How it should work based on the experience of Amient Display from OnePlus X:
    After receiving the notification, Horizon Lights and the application icon should appear on the screen. After a while, the screen should go out and after 10 seconds the process should repeat of course, after a few minutes (e.g. 10 minutes) the screen should not pulsate anymore, because any of us after a long time of not using it will simply take it to check fb, msg, e-mails etc. Of course if your phone is screen down or in your pocket Horizon Lights should not work.
    That's why I think you should consider my idea.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020

2. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Mar 19, 2020 :
    [Not Adopted]
    4/30 Update: Thanks for sharing this idea. We have seen it often requested around the Community.

Basically, we see this request being about “never letting me miss any important notifications”. Besides the solutions based on sound and vibration, Horizon Light should serve just as one of the visual solutions (same as the Always On Display feature requested above).

Taking the OnePlus 7 Pro as an example: according to the analytics of our product usage, on average, our users spend at least five hours on their smartphones per day and check their messages every fifteen minutes. In other words, it's unlikely that the majority of our users will miss essential notifications without noticing them almost instantly. That being said, it is definitely a "MUST-HAVE" for some of you. Though we have deciced to prioritise the implementation of AOD at the moment. We have placed this in our product backlog and will revisit this sometime later.

- Original Reply -
    Hello bagufix, thanks for sharing this idea in our IDEAS platform.

We have seen it often requested around the Community. Actually, this idea shares the same principle as the Always on Display (AOD) one. They are just two different forms/solutions.

Since most of our explanation about the AOD idea can be applied to yours, please read our reply here. As with the idea linked in the last sentence, we’ll continue to monitor our testing and we’ll update you and the community about our conclusions.

Learn more about how your Idea flows within OnePlus

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020

3. Sykora
    Froyo Mar 5, 2020

Sykora , Mar 5, 2020 :
    This would be the best alternative for the missing notification LED and the missing always on display.

EDIT:
    It's a whole disappointment from OnePlus' side.
    3 of 5 Ideas are not adpoted.
    2 of 5 are "under consideration". But if you read the Marketing-Text on the AoD Idea closely, you see that they won't implement it in near future. And it will never be implemented for the 7 and 7T Series. Words like "you use your phone 5 hours a day" or "you have sound and vibration as notification" are just empty Marketing phrases.
    In short they want to tell you: we are not going to implement it for this phone interation.

And a little side note. You guys say it uses too much battery?
    I've been using MIUI on my OnePlus 7 Pro. And had the Always on display for 12 hours a day on. Guess what? It only took about 10% of my battery (~1%/hour).
    For normal people it won't be such an impact because many people end the day with more than 20-30% battery. So even with AOD it would still be 10-20% for an average user (gamers are excluded).

A little look in the future: OnePlus will release a new phone (maybe not the 8-Series) with an AOD out of the box. Why? Because we would buy it, just because of the AOD. So the Marketing-Department will tell OnePlus to either not include it in 7-Series (and give excuses why it's not possible), or they will include it a year or two later. Like they do with Software-Updates when a new Android Versions comes out. Take a closer look at the Android 10 update. It took months to roll it out for 6-Series and 5-Series phones.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020

4. Stevey j b
    Eclair Mar 5, 2020

5. albyrock87
    Cupcake Mar 5, 2020

albyrock87 , Mar 5, 2020 :
    This feature is interesting also for flat screens (like OP7T). A notification dot is also an alternative that consumes less battery than horizon lights.

6. flykthewiz
    Donut Mar 5, 2020

flykthewiz , Mar 5, 2020 :
    I have just put forward exactly the same idea but with some configuration options :)

7. bagufix
    Gingerbread Mar 5, 2020

bagufix , Mar 5, 2020 :
    thank you all for your likes I hope it helps and they will notice us

Laree and Deactivated User like this.
  8. Brigibb
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

Brigibb , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Love this idea. Speaking of edges, have you ever considered edge navigation? Check out my idea [e]1f60a[/e][e]1f44d[/e]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020

9. 24hjs
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

24hjs , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Don't you think it will drain the battery faster. As they are not including notification light just to increase battery life.

10. A1573108791307
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

11. bagufix
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2020

bagufix , Mar 6, 2020 :
    yes but if you have a phone in your pocket or screen down then horizon lights should not work so as not to waste your battery
    there may also be a limit that flashes only for 5 minutes

Laree likes this.
  12. YauhenK
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

YauhenK , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Repetitive edge lights will be too distracting if phone is nearby and you know about notification and don't want to read it.

13. sweggitity
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2020

sweggitity , Mar 6, 2020 :
    This feature won't be that good, as it will consume a lot of battery, but a small led blinking would be better

14. Udit2508
    Froyo Mar 6, 2020

Udit2508 , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Yes it's a great idea. Bring it to OnePlus 7t too. We would love it. The best.

iamsiddhant_t and bagufix like this.
  15. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Mar 6, 2020

Swejuggalo , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Current version is kind of pointless.
    The very minimum we need is some kind repeated notification as you said. Hopefully also with some kind of configuration.
    1. Define the time before repeating
    2. Define different colors based on what app that gives a notification (maybe blend the colors when multiple or cycle them)
    3. Define a maximum time or an amount of blinks before cancel it.
    4. Respect sleep patterns (optional)

16. Chiranjib-Kar
    Eclair Mar 6, 2020

Chiranjib-Kar , Mar 6, 2020 :
    Yeah that would be so nice if OP do it, no need to download those battery draining 3rd party apps which really sucks.

Nithin RJ and Laree like this.
  17. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 6, 2020

luigimario , Mar 6, 2020 :
    A good idea bagufix, I had a similar idea. I made a thread for my suggestion but I won't link it here because this is your thread. Good suggestions Swejuggalo, I expanded on the idea in my thread, similar to what you have said here. I really hope they implement this because the horizon light is pretty pointless as it is now. You get an ambient notification when a message comes in and all HL does is add some colour at the edges. Making it able to be customized is the key, so people can decide how long they want the notifications to persist.

Jay2020, Swejuggalo and bagufix like this.
  18. G_Aditya_Datar_CrkS
    Donut Mar 6, 2020

G_Aditya_Datar_CrkS , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I would love to have this even for the OnePlus 6T since it is missing the LED light

19. EalSleepMidRepea
    Cupcake Mar 6, 2020

EalSleepMidRepea , Mar 6, 2020 :
    I'm 1+7Pro owner, and I'm so excited with horizon lights, hope that this function will be added. Notification may have a longer interval like once in a minute, so the battery stay alive longer, but the effect looks awesome!

G_Ergul_Sakibi_RwPF and bagufix like this.
  20. Raidol
    Donut Mar 7, 2020

Raidol , Mar 7, 2020 :
    Maybe a sound that repeats every couple of minutes like a reminder of unseen notifications...

bagufix likes this.
  21. jcasares
    Eclair Mar 7, 2020

jcasares , Mar 7, 2020 :
    Newer OnePlus phones miss the led notification and that is something that always impaired me.
    It is there, it is noticeable and it is customizable.
    This proposition tackles that issue with a wise use of technology.
    If they provide proper customization (timing, color, apps that will use it) it should be a wonderful addition.

Q1584198870929 and bagufix like this.