elanglois's OP7 Pro Review

1. elanglois Lollipop May 26, 2019

elanglois, May 26, 2019 :
    Hey! Yes, I got one. No, I didn't root it (yet). Yes, it's a review, from me, and I'll keep it short. I'm not going to post unboxing videos or any of that silly crap.

Initial Feel
    First, this is one of the heaviest phone's I've ever picked up. The glass attracts fingerprints, but doesn't feel fragile at all. The curve is intense, so likely going to be a problem if you like aftermarket screen protectors. I ran my 3T bare naked for years and the one small scratch on the screen is tiny and nearly impossible to see. Screen protectors don't prevent cracks ... a case does.

Screen
    The QHD resolution makes the pentile display nice and crisp. Its really hard to see the little colored edges, and likely no one but me can see them at all .. but I can. A FHD screen at this size would have been a mistake. The 90Hz refresh ... not so sure it makes that huge of a difference. The smoothness is mainly the OS and the SD855! I've had it on 90Hz to get used to it and turning it off doesn't make me miss it. In videos, it would have to turn it off and go back to 60Hz to prevent stutter. Showing 60Hz content would need to double-up frames and would actually look LESS smooth in 90Hz mode, so I bet it turns it off automatically for 60hz content .. although 30Hz content would just show every frame 3 times and would look fine. Likewise, I want the QHD for 4K video and for VR content. Turning it back to FHD doesn't change your screen much and since the hardware is still QHD, it still reduced the pentile effect without burning up the CPU. I'd like the automatic mode to favor FHD rather than QHD, although I'm not positive as to when its switching. Its pretty smooth.

OS
    As everyone says the animations and general usage of the device is amazing. You find a stutter or pause anywhere. Everything is nicely done. The fingerprint unlock is faster than the capacitive sensor on my 3T and the Face Unlock is blazingly fast as well. You have to hit the power button to use face unlock - not DT2W. This makes sense for me. I normally will tap the screen to wake, then use my fingerprint. At work, I have gloves on and squeezing the sides and letting the camera pop-up is a great compromise. Even in my car, driving at night, the Face Unlock opened my phone with a good degree of success (in the dark) and faster than I thought possible. That pop-up camera is up and back down before you can blink.

I would like Google Discovery/Feed instead of the shelf, and I know Oneplus has the option but its just disabled at the moment. Hope they let us have that soon!

There is no pocket mode anymore, but I'm not positive we need it anymore.

A longer notification LED would be nice ... right now you get a little flash down the edge, but that's it. Getting a new flash every 10 seconds or so would be nice, or maybe every 10 seconds for a minute, then every 20 seconds after that.

HDR
    I love HDR. 4K HDR looks great on this screen. I used to sorta fake it on the 3T by switching to DCI-P3 color-space and then cranking the brightness up to max. It gave a good effect with HDR colors, but likely not the full range of gradients that a true HDR10+ screen can perform. This screen really looks amazing. The video enhancer just seems to add contrast - don't expect it to do much. Not worth it really since it can make things look dark. Just find more real HDR content instead!!

Camera
    The camera is crisp and useful and generally produces great pictures. Yes, it has some issues. Portrait mode doesn't seem to do crap. Normal mode will have saturation go through wild extremes, but for the most it does well. Back when I tested my 3T I did a bunch of amazing pics that were shot at 60mph from my car window and then manipulated in Snapseed. So .. to make this test even harder, here is a nightmode pic, taken in the dark, at 75mph from a moving car - no adjustments other than cutting the resolution in half so that I could upload it ...
    IMG_20190526_000159.jpg IMG_20190525_235813.jpg

Speed
    Antutu = 376 thousand. Need I say more?

Actually YES I do! The USB 3.1 port doesn't register as USB C plugged into my laptop. That could be just a cable issue, but I plugged in a USB 3 SSD drive and only got about 25MB/s out of it. That's really slow. This is a fast drive. It acts like the port is only USB 2. I'd like to see someone find out otherwise. Then again, I use FX File Manager's WEB app for file transfers ... WiFi is nice and fast!

Audio
    I expected a USB C to headphone jack dongle, with a pass-through for power. No such thing in the box. I'll have to order one from monoprice. I could bluetooth to my big speakers to check out the audio enhancement built in (Dolby), but that fake-Atmos stuff doesn't impress me anyway. I'll play with it later.

The built-in speakers are decent, and since its top-bottom, you get stereo when holding the phone landscape ... which is when you want it (movies and games). The phone, at nearly 7 inches, is just long enough to give a stereo image. It's not a great one, but it's decent enough. Bottom firing stereo just doesn't work. Somehow they paired two very different speakers and make it work. And its working well for a cell phone and is certainly an improvement over previous models. Even the vibrator sounds better!

And no headphone jack. Considering that the SIM tray is even smaller (the SIMs go back-to-back to take up less room), it's safe to say that space was likely limited. I have some bluetooth headphones around somewhere, but I'll likely just get a cable from monoprice and use my old Bullets.

Battery
    Whoever says they can't get more than 4hrs of SOT needs to unload the crapware. I've done massive data transfers, played with the camera, uploaded videos, ran Antutu benchmarks about 4-5 times (some on Gaming mode), and run about all my maps. I've kept it on 90Hz/QHD+ almost the whole time and I'm at 31% battery with 5 1/2 hours of SOT. I'm sure I can drag this out more.

Accubattery says I'll be at 100% in 30 minutes. Oddly, I got a Warp charge animation the first time I plugged it in, but didn't get the animation after that. Accubattery is showing 5.7A charge current, so its Warp Charge, but its tough to tell without adding that 3rd party software. The animation should display at every charge, so this is likely a bug.

Conclusion
    I always said my next Oneplus phone would need to be QHD for use with VR. Everything else would only be such little updates that it wouldn't warrant buying a new device. You can so a lot in software, and many features of the 7 Pro could be implemented on cheaper devices. However, the screen makes the difference. I may never use all the cameras. I'll likely reduce settings to 90Hz refresh until I play a really hardcore game or use VR - same with the UHD. For me, its for 4K videos and VR only and I don't care if the Community app is running in 4K or not! Each person will have to weigh their own needs and why they want to upgrade and decide for themself if this device is worth it. For me, its certainly worth the asking price. My words have been nothing but WOW since I got it.

2. Bouncer71 KitKat May 27, 2019

Bouncer71, May 27, 2019 :
    Thank you for your short and honest review..!
    A really nice read...! :D
    Hope to have the phone as a daily driver soon [e]2122[/e] ;)

xnutzii, G_plusone, Bobbie63 and 3 others like this.
  3. Android450 Lollipop May 27, 2019

Android450, May 27, 2019 :
    Yay! :)

Awww :oops:

Nicely done review. Quick, and concise yet nicely detailed. It's a pleasure to read one of your reviews after such a long time.

I wanted to ask since I know we had a few conversations back in the OP3 days about this. How is the color calibration/white point? Thanks!

4. SJBoss KitKat May 27, 2019

SJBoss, May 27, 2019 :
    Probably the only honest review I saw on the Internet/forums.

A nice read Indeed.

G_plusone, Bobbie63, Budruel and 4 others like this.
  5. B_Wrath Lollipop May 27, 2019

B_Wrath, May 27, 2019 :
    Crisp, honest and "to the point" review. I like it how you haven't sugarcoated anything;)

A nice read. :)

And, by the way, it is a USB 3.1 port.

6. elanglois Lollipop May 27, 2019

elanglois, May 27, 2019 :
    It's generally cooler than the 3/T. It's like looking at paper. And you get plenty of options ...

1558939206278.jpg
    Vivid is like OnePlus's usual oversaturated mode. Natural is between Vivid and sRGB. It's close to DCI-P3, but DCI-P3 is slightly bolder with heavier contrasts. Amoled Wide Gamut is like a heavy contrast version of Vivid, or Natural is to DCI-P3 as Vivid is to Amoled Wide. You get a warm/cool slider with all 3 advanced modes.

And a note on battery ....

1558939708128.jpg
    That's 8 hrs and I'm not trying to save battery. No idea why people are saying 4! Maybe 4 hours playing pubg

Android450, SJBoss, Budruel and 2 others like this.
  7. Android450 Lollipop May 27, 2019

Thanks for this. I'll be interested in checking out the battery life when I grab a unit myself. I've been skeptical of battery claims considering what we've seen around here over all these years

One more question, I forgot where I saw this, but apparently HDR/HDR10+ is only viewable on the standard calibrations and not the advanced calibrations. Could you confirm this?

SJBoss likes this.
  8. elanglois Lollipop May 27, 2019

That makes no sense. DCI-P3 is the standard calibration for HDR movies. The wide mode I think is just everything cranked up. Of course sRGB won't do HDR because it doesn't have the range.

I have a 4K TV with HDR10 + Dolby Vision and I've been playing with HDR test files on my Libre Renegade (like a Raspberry Pie that has USB 3 and does 4K/HDR) ... so I know when I'm seeing HDR and have plenty of test files.

Both my test files and Netflix detect and play HDR fine in DCI-P3 mode and obviously not in sRGB. Well, it plays, just not at full effect. The wide mode makes everyone look like they have a fever [e]1f603[/e]

Android450 and Bouncer71 like this.
  9. elanglois Lollipop May 27, 2019

The specs CLAIM it's USB 3.1. I think maybe they forgot to turn on a driver.

Are you actually detecting the device as a USB 3 device? I've yet to see anyone but me attempt to test transfer speeds

Bouncer71 likes this.
  10. Android450 Lollipop May 27, 2019

I'm not very familiar with USB 3, but I remember seeing this video I think he showed some transfers Maybe you could check it out

Bouncer71 likes this.
  11. elanglois Lollipop May 27, 2019

He gets150MB/s.

I'm guessing its USB 2 in OTG host mode and I need a new cable for device mode. I'll be looking for a better cable!

Good review though. I've avoided watching any

Bouncer71 likes this.
  12. Android450 Lollipop May 27, 2019

Please do update us if you find a difference :)

Bouncer71, B_Wrath and elanglois like this.
  13. G_plusone Lollipop May 27, 2019

G_plusone, May 27, 2019 :
    A nice Review without any fancy stuff :)

It maybe the USB 2 Warp Charging Cable

Bouncer71 likes this.
  14. elanglois Lollipop May 27, 2019

Yes, but I then plugged in a USB 3 hard drive from a running system using an OTG adaptor thats certified USB 3 as well. I got about 25MB/s!

So, maybe host mode is still limited to USB 2 AND I have a cable issue for Device mode.

Kinda annoying that they put USB 3 ports in there and then a USB 2 cable, and no headphone jack dongle. Will be need to buy the dash charger separately for the next device? They REALLY want to be Apple

Budruel, Bouncer71 and G_plusone like this.
  15. G_plusone Lollipop May 27, 2019

G_plusone, May 27, 2019 :
    The USB 2 hosting speed is a bummer indeed. Folks at OnePlus still have not figured to make Dash charging compatible with USB 3 standards.

The absence of headphone adaptor is not justified no matter what they say atleast Apple gives buyers headphone dongles Apple might start shipping fast chargers too

Bouncer71 likes this.
  16. Bouncer71 KitKat May 27, 2019

Bouncer71, May 27, 2019 :
    Thanks for pointing that out...
    I got the prototype without any cable or charger and used the Dash cable from the OP3T..
    It feels slightly faster, probably because of UFS 3.0..

Now you reminded me that I have an USB-c to USB-c cable lying around that I never use because the plugs are to big for all my cases...

Turns out it fits in this case...

Since windows doesn't show transfer speeds I used a stopwatch...

Just transferred a 445MB mp4 file..

Dash cable: 12.5 seconds..
    USB-c cable: 3.5 seconds...

Really looks like a USB 2 is included...
    Not what I expected... :(

At least now I know what cable to use from now on... ;)

G_plusone likes this.
  17. Bouncer71 KitKat May 27, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  18. Vedant620 Ice Cream Sandwich May 27, 2019

Vedant620, May 27, 2019 :
    ohhhh I remember you from the op3/3t days good to see your review on the 7 pro

although I believe you made a slight typo where you said "you find a stutter or lag anywhere" instead of "you WONT find a stutter or lag anywhere"

19. Android450 Lollipop May 27, 2019

Could you also tell me how the glare is when you're trying to read content due to the curved glass?

Majamulli and Bouncer71 like this.
  20. elanglois Lollipop May 27, 2019

Never had a problem with it, but I don't go outside and all my lights are recessed cannister lights. Let me go outside.

There is some glare, but not sure the curve is affecting it one way or another

Android450 likes this.