Enable 5G via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. E1549457435300
    Cupcake Apr 26, 2021

E1549457435300 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 26, 2021 :
    I bought the 8+ pro dual sim version and 5g capable but I can not figure out how to enable my 5G. I've done a bunch of different things that I've read on google but nothing has worked. Anyone run into this same issue and figured it out? Please help !

2. Tee_Eee_Bee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 26, 2021

3. E1549457435300
    Cupcake Apr 26, 2021

4. E1549457435300
    Cupcake Apr 26, 2021

5. Tee_Eee_Bee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 26, 2021

Tee_Eee_Bee , Apr 26, 2021 :
    Have you tried this:

These are the steps I have used to get it working in Australia, you may need to select a different profile etc. to get it working with AT&T:

Prerequisites:
    * Need ADB suite available on PC & enabled "ADB debugging" on phone via developer options
    * Need QPST suite of apps installed on PC (needed PDC tools + EFS explorer)

Process:
    - Open command prompt on PC & navigate to where your ADB suite is located

- Type command without "":
    "adb devices" (I like to do this to ensure adb can speak with phone/computer)

- Should display:
    List of devices attached
    <if working, your device should be listed here (else, it'll be blank)>

"adb reboot ftm"
    --> This puts phone into field test mode

"adb shell"
    --> Creates dialogue for shell command on phone

- In the shell (OnePlus8Pro:/ $ ) type command without "":
    "setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,qdss,qdss_mdm,serial_cdev,dpl,rmnet,adb"
    --> This opens up ports that we used to be able to in Android 10

- Phone Screen is still blank - but it's OK.

- Start up PDC Tool in Admin mode on PC

- Click drop down, select phone connection (there's only 1 in the list)

- Do the profile activation stuff for Telefonica_UK_Commercial:
    - Look for "Telefonica_UK_Commercial", right click and SetSelectedConfig for both Sub0 and Sub1
    - Click on the above profile again and click on Activate
    - Do not restart your phone

- Don't close PDC yet (don't know if it make a difference but I didn't close)

- Open EFS Explorer (I opened in Admin mode too)

- Navigate to "\nv\item_files\ims\"
    - Replace ims_user_agent file with one supplied
    --> The supplied one has Telstra VoLTE Qualcomm as header instead of Telefonica

- Navigate to "\policyman"
    - Replace carrier_policy.xml & carrier_policy.xml_Subscription01 with ones supplied.
    --> ** Caveat, I further modified the carrier_policy.xml file as it wasn't enabling 5G for me on my IN2020 (Android 11) Oneplus 8 Pro.
    --> ** I changed the nr5g_sa_bands base & nr5g_nsa_bands base values to be "hardware" rather than specifically band n78.
    --> ** This changes config to allow whatever 5G bands the hardware has available rather than specific bands
    --> ** You can't enable bands that the hardware doesn't support anyway so makes sense to enable all
    --> ** This gave me the needed 5G access with Telstra

"adb reboot"

After phone boots back up, 5G + VoLTE + VoWiFi are all intact and in working order!

6. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 27, 2021

pgrey , Apr 27, 2021 :
    Pretty sure ATT has never (white)listed the OP8-series, for 5G.
    I'd ask over on the ATT forums, or do a search there, for more carrier-relative results.
    This was the primary reason I left ATT, BTW, after almost 20YRS; it has always been an uphill battle there, on non-ATT devices, they offer bare-bones functionality, if that. Even stupid-simple things, that were going to be required, like VoLTE, as 3G sunsets...

7. PTuT
    Jelly Bean Apr 28, 2021

PTuT , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 28, 2021 :
    This is nice if it still works on OOS 11. But why does user need to go through all these steps to enable something that OP should enable on first place. If they are selling their phone in certain countries / regions they should make sure their phone adverised as 5G actually work as 5G. I have the same problem with my 5G phone working on 5G network as 4G phone.

8. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 28, 2021

pgrey , Apr 28, 2021 :
    I agree, and I'm 1000% sure that OP would like it work that way, too.
    Some carriers, on the other hand, want to limit what you can do, on devices they don't make a profit-margin on. In the US, iOS devices get "a pass", on this, for whatever reason, but Android (and WinPhones, same deal, for the most part) interop only works with a handful of devices (I think Samsung *might* have this with most of the carriers here, at this point), it takes a LOT of "influence", or customers one might say, to carry this.
    Maybe OP can take a bigger position here, but they are somewhat limited, in how they can manage this, on a larger-scale, if some carriers simply want to sell phones (and not theirs, for now), a certain way.

Many devices are/were 4G/LTE and now 5G "capable", if radio/freq and such line-up, but being "enabled" is a bit different, unfortunately.
    It's weird to me that consumers are NOT okay with this when it comes to WiFi standards, but are at least somewhat okay, or perhaps complacent (or lack sufficient knowledge, sometimes, to know they're being de-featured) when it comes to mobile-ISP exclusions. It is what it is though.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021

10. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 5, 2021

pgrey , May 5, 2021 :
    This is an excellent point, that I failed to consider in my rant, above ;-]
    For @E1549457435300 , the answer is no, on ATT, per this article: OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro 4G/5G US network bands and compatibility: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile (androidpolice.com)
    For T-Mobile customers, it's mostly supported (only missing the mmWave, which is largely irrelevant, currently), and other carriers will vary here.

For a long time, it was a challenge to get a good, 4G/LTE world-multi-band phone, or even one inside a country/continent. Things stabilized in this department, I'd say in the last 5-7 years, for a handful of phones.
    Now we're playing the same game, with regards to licensing, carrier listing in/out, the whole deal, all over again, it's almost like we learned nothing, from that exercise (other than you can perhaps sell more phones, if consumers are fairly confused, over time)... o_O:rolleyes::D

Last edited: May 6, 2021