Enable/Disable DASH however you want! (OP3/3T, DASH On & Off)

1. F_Tom_Lee_CMgQ
    Donut Apr 30, 2017

F_Tom_Lee_CMgQ , Apr 30, 2017 :
    Hmm i love OP's logic so much i have decided to follow his advice. I went to the shoe shop today to buy a new pair of shoes, i have decided to continue to walk in barefeet instead of wearing my new pair of shoes. Why? Because i like to take risk and do something different.

2. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2017

Topper_Gas , Apr 30, 2017 :
    is there any actual evidence that slow charging a battery prolongs its life? What about the fact that fast charging gets the charging cycle complete in a shorter period?

Could it be the daily charge/discharge is far more detrimental to long battery life than the overall length of the charging time?

Vilfy likes this.
  3. gondalaprasad
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2017

4. Nefando
    Froyo Apr 30, 2017

Nefando , Apr 30, 2017 :
    Why ? Dash charge is a Plus not a problem for battery! High voltage is loaded by charger not by battery.

Vilfy and mischa1981 like this.
  5. Kirakichi
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2017

Kirakichi , Apr 30, 2017 :
    Some people has that belief, they can feel comfortable and stick to their like.

I myself use DASH however.

6. mischa1981
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 30, 2017

mischa1981 , Apr 30, 2017 :
    to be honest.... why? oneplus worked hard for stuff like this and now you come with that "Safe" Method. simply use a normal head instead of this crap.

don't know who should benefit of slow charging.

7. quaddropop
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2017

quaddropop , Apr 30, 2017 :
    The only evidence I know about is that one of the main reasons for battery life reduction is temperature, both coldness and heat. Overcharging a phone (for a long duration!) or putting a high charge on loading should harm the structure of a modern battery (although only to a small extend) because of long-lasting heat. The smart idea of OnePlus with their DASH tech was to channel the heat generation to the adapter and therefor passing it away from the phone itself. Which SHOULD fix the danger of damaging the battery while simultaneously providing a quick charge.

There is another theory about the charging cycles, you will need to refer to Google for further info, I'm afraid.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

Vilfy likes this.
  8. rohan_14
    Froyo Apr 30, 2017

Vilfy likes this.
  9. _DEDSEC_
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2017

_DEDSEC_ , Apr 30, 2017 :
    Wholly Molly this guy really bought it[e]1f602[/e]. Anyways, I wonder if the capacitors in side the adapter would explode due to the short circuit of the socket. What improper connection thus, is "jump" from point A (220-40 potential current) to point B ( 220-40 potential current) when this happens, the current will be super hot like a lighting bolt, and this production of heat damages everything. That's what I learned from my science book, I would seek your results of this experiment, does it become hot on the extension? or on the charger (when not dashing)? or the main socket where you have connected the extension. The fuse should blow up if it's over current but not when shot circuited ( the fuse it self works by shot circuiting....duh).

varma246 likes this.
  10. arminth
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2017

arminth , Apr 30, 2017 :
    if you really want to avoid dash charge, use a standard usb-c cable and you're done.
    whereas I still don't get what the sense in this might be....

cheers
    Armin

Vilfy likes this.
  11. Kirakichi
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2017

What i learned is

1) Voltage is more dangerous for battery than ampere (this applies for batteries to a point).

2) Heat kills battery, cold kills battery, best temperature is 0 celcius i heard.

3) Deep charge & discharge kills, if too low or too high, battery gets stressed, if too low it will die and thats it! if too high, electrodes are kind of "overcharged" very energetic and kills battery. Thats why phones get shipped with ~50% battery.

4) When you charge phone, it kills battery, more charge, more damage.

I looked throughout the internet.

Ahh, another professor act from someone...

Here we go, im soo tired of so many useless comments, but ya lets go.

1) Capacitors can't shortcircuit, they are meant to hold the charge. When your phone is 100% charged, the energy is stored at capacitors and sends out only if needed, either way capacitors are always charged fully.

2) It can't jump because there is a pin in the cable telling "Yo, im DASH cable, charge fast", this pin is connected to the phone and if it gets in contact with phone and adapter, the adapter gets signal and pushes full output, and it is the phone controlling it if it should send full power or not.

3) Pushing cable slowly, i noticed the electricity flow to phone through cable without triggering charging status, this means the current is so low, it isnt charging phone or noticed like that, so pushing deeper triggers the socket getting in contact with pins, if you push it around the middle (before DASH and before normal charging) then no there is no risk of sparks.

4) The phone confirms first 1-2 sec if it is DASH adapter, by sending a small current to phone (my guess, theory) and sends signal to adapter "yo, send full speed" but after 2-3 sec it stops sending this signal through DASH pin (this is meant to let the adapter get signal for DASH compatibility). After it charges normal for a couple seconds, pushing USB all the way in seems to still charge at normal speed.

And the spark thing you said, is very unlikely,
    1493577921056.jpg
    I think the metal at the middle all the way in, is triggering the DASH signal.

This means, pushing the cable to a point where it is very unlikely to get out or being loose is unlikely unless you try intentionally for that to happen.

This should in that case clear up spark worries.

If it doesn't, then im sorry i can't help with your issue.

12. Kirakichi
    Jelly Bean Apr 30, 2017

Forgot a thing.

No, in fact, phone and adapter runs cooler, adapter is heating less and so does the phone too.

Cheers.

13. _DEDSEC_
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2017

_DEDSEC_ , May 1, 2017 :
    That's all I needed to know.

Just for the record, I mentioned capacitors inside the circuit will explode due to the shot circuit inn the SOCKET. Not in the capacitors itself.

I mentioned the current will jump from the wall socket, plug, outlet what ever you call it... to the ADAPTER. Not from the adapter to the pin.

Hence, altering (or not understanding at all) can not prove my point is wrong.

In my experience I have plenty of appliances that went rouge when it was improperly connected, frying the circuit board, exploding capacitors, all sorts of things. Also capacitors don't "store" that much current to charge a phone, at Max it can be a 1.5v capacitor.

14. creed90
    Donut May 1, 2017

creed90 , May 1, 2017 :
    if u have op2 charger then u can use that to charge your op3. Currently using one cause lost my op3 charger. The op2 charger charges my device from 10% to 100% in 1hr30min.

15. F_Muhammad_Azhari_Ikhwan
    Eclair May 1, 2017

16. abhishek_nirmal_sinha
    Cupcake May 1, 2017

abhishek_nirmal_sinha , May 1, 2017 :
    hi what difference will it make if you don't go for dash charge.. is it improving battery life or phone life or something like that

17. G_Félix_Erol
    Cupcake May 1, 2017

G_Félix_Erol , May 1, 2017 :
    Thanks a lots

18. Kirakichi
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2017

Kirakichi , May 1, 2017 :

Some people refuse to use DASH at certain circumstances, where you want to avoid it to sit at full charge as little as possible.

Disabling dash results ~2 times slower charge rate, and this means it will take more time to full charge, those who sleep overnight can charge to 100% slower and once it hits 100%, it will stay at 100% more less than if it were DASH where it charges 100% quicker and sits on for couple hours longer than normaö charging.

Or lets say, you will go somewhere, you want it to not hit 100% charge because it degrades battery quickly over time, so slow charging can be benefit here where if you take a bath at home, it reaches to 98% when you're out, but with normal charge, it will be at ~70% so if we look at it this way, it has some benefits.

You're welcome!

19. jim262
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2017

jim262 , May 1, 2017 :
    I hope you realize that if you use any type c charger other than the dash charger, it will charge at the 2 amp speed. You failed science in school, didn't you?

G_Matt_Hay_pRTl likes this.
  20. G_Matt_Hay_pRTl
    Gingerbread May 1, 2017

G_Matt_Hay_pRTl , May 1, 2017 :
    What is the point of this? The chipset controls the rate of charge, so Dash Charging in today's world isn't like continually filling a pool until it overflows like it was previously when you would damage a device by overcharging. The SoC will throttle current up and down as is warranted for battery's current level of charge.