Other Enable file transfer with broken screen

1. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jan 17, 2020

hotsauce , Jan 17, 2020 :
    I dropped my phone and the screen is now completely dark. How do I go about recovering the pictures in my phone? I cannot enable file transfer when connect phone to pc.

2. drl431
    Marshmallow Jan 18, 2020

drl431 , Jan 18, 2020 :
    Sorry, but there is no easy answer. You can get the display replaced and hope there is no other problem with the phone. Not sure if the service center would factory reset the phone if only replacing the display, but that should not be necessary (again assuming there is no damage to the motherboard). I would want to have good communication with the person doing the work (that might require using a local shop).

hotsauce and Caomhin like this.
  3. Jamze
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 18, 2020

Jamze , Jan 18, 2020 :
    OTG might help if your fingerprint reader is still working and you have a wired keyboard. If you can get another phone with the same OS, work out the key sequence to change the USB mode, then repeat on your phone.

Someone did similar here...

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...n-via-otg-and-restoring-data-with-mtp.717039/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020

hotsauce, Caomhin and RogerOriginals like this.
  4. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jan 18, 2020

hotsauce , Jan 18, 2020 :
    Thank you!

5. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jan 18, 2020

6. OscarPapa6
    Honeycomb Jan 18, 2020

OscarPapa6 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 18, 2020 :
    If you had Google Photos app installed at any point it might be worth checking it. If auto backup was enabled you might find some of them backed up.

7. Jamze
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2020

Jamze , Jan 20, 2020 :
    No worries. I'd be up for working out what the key sequence is if you are on 10.3.0 and wanted to try the keyboard method.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020

8. tide1109

tide1109 , Jan 20, 2020 :
    There is still a problem. OTG is disabled by default and it turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity. It's possible to change it to always on OTG, but who did it already?
    No chance to enter the PIN or to change the USB mode. An unlocked phone does not help at this point. I don't know if this feature was present in the OP3 age.

If you already enabled USB debugging and you authorized your PC, you could access your data over adb.

If youre bootloader is already unlocked, you could try this way. The process of unlocking the bootloader does wipe your storage, so don't try this now.

9. Jamze

Jamze , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 20, 2020 :

tide1109

There is still a problem. OTG is disabled by default and it turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity. It's possible to change it to always on OTG, but who did it already?
    No chance to enter the PIN or to change the USB mode. An unlocked phone does not help at this point. I don't know if this feature was present in the OP3 age.

If you already enabled USB debugging and you authorized your PC, you could access your data over adb.

If youre bootloader is already unlocked, you could try this way. The process of unlocking the bootloader does wipe your storage, so don't try this now.​

From memory you don't need OTG on for a mouse or keyboard. You need it for storage. I might be wrong!

10. tide1109

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 20, 2020 :
    From testing a few seconds ago. Enabling OTG is for all USB accessories required including mice, keyboards or an USB storage.

Jamze likes this.
  11. Jamze

Jamze , Jan 20, 2020 :
    Hmmm. Makes it pretty useless (for this) then. I'm sure I've plugged in wired keyboards before and just used it. Was a while ago though.

12. tide1109

tide1109 , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 20, 2020 :
    I know it's bad decision for this kind of usage. The security advantages could be higher, but then the phone should be unlocked for enabling OTG, like the location.

Maybe this is different on a 6T or newer. They don't have headphone jack use the usb port for audio. A OP6 user has to enable OTG for the Bullets Typ-C, while a 6T user doesn't have to enable OTG for it. It could be only for audio devices.
    Because this is OnePlus 6 subforum, it doesn't matter for this thread.

13. Jamze
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 21, 2020

Jamze , Jan 21, 2020 :

tide1109

I know it's bad decision for this kind of usage. The security advantages could be higher, but then the phone should be unlocked for enabling OTG, like the location.

Maybe this is different on a 6T or newer. They don't have headphone jack use the usb port for audio. A OP6 user has to enable OTG for the Bullets Typ-C, while a 6T user doesn't have to enable OTG for it. It could be only for audio devices.
    Because this is OnePlus 6 subforum, it doesn't matter for this thread.​

After reading this thread I've decided to set my USB mode default as File transfer. I don't believe this is less secure as it won't connect if the phone is locked, and the phone is only unlocked when I'm physically with it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020

Kytharsis likes this.