Enabling the System call recorder in Oneplus One( Rooted stock Rom ) – finally solved

1. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2015

yajiv29 , Jan 25, 2015 :
    I had tried many call recorders from play store, but none of them worked on my Oneplus. Each of them had their own problems. There were limitations with the voice quality, time durations, one side recording etc. The pro versions of these apps were pretty costly.

I then read in the XDA forums about the Call recording enabling feature of CM 11 roms. However all the threads reflected that the feature could be enabled in the Nightlies only. Have been always apprehensive about nightlies due to the bugs and instability. And am primarily not a developer or a android freak. So was always afraid of bricking or boot looping the phone.

I had a rooted Stock Rom and wanted to enable the feature on stock ROM itself.

So started my efforts in enabling the call recording feature in my Oneplus ( Rooted Stock ROM). And finally I managed too. Simple steps cause I am not a tech geek.

Here’s what you have to do :

1. Root is essential . Here’s the link - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...oader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/

2. Once your phone is rooted download the apk for Xposed Framework ( from here .. http://dl-xda.xposed.info/modules/de.robv.android.xposed.installer_v32_de4f0d.apk ) and Install the same like you do any other app. Remember to grant Super user access to the xposed installer.

3. Once the installer is installed, Click on Framework and then Install. The will install the Xposed Framework. Re boot your phone.

4. Download the “enable call recording Module ver 1.1 from here - http://dl-xda.xposed.info/modules/com.pyler.enablecmcallrec_v2_fd8b32.apk Install it as you would do any normal apk file.

5. This would not be visible as an app on the phones screen. But it is there running in the back ground.

Most of the threads after this ask you enable the CM11 recording in the xposed installer framework module. And then reboot the phone, to enable the call recording button on your dialer.

But this doesn’t happen.

Here’s where the difference comes between the nightlies and the Stock ROM installation.

6. At this stage the CM11 call recording is enabled, but it is installed as a user app. Hence it is not reflected in the dialer of a stock rom.

7. Use any app like the titanium backup pro or link2sd to convert it into a system file. Both these apps are available for free on play store.

8. Now go to the xposed installer frame work and you will find the CM 11 enable recording module there. Check it for enabling.

9. Edit the build.prop by inserting the following line … persist.call_recording.src=4. ( I hope u know how to do it otherwise refer to this link ..( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1948558 ) This will help in enabling two way recording. Otherwise you will here voice from only one side.

10. Now reboot the phone.

If you have understood and followed all the steps correctly, then call recording is enable on your phone.

Just give a call and as soon the other side picks up, the recording button appears.
    For an incoming call, the record button will be enabled once you pick up the call.

However to start recording, in both the case, you have to press the record button. The files are saved in amr format in the <call recording folder>

If this helped , just like it.

OSX, isumit96, zConcept and 12 others like this.
  2. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2015

yajiv29 , Jan 25, 2015 :
    JUST FORGOT THE DISCLAIMER IN THE POST ABOVE : USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE IN THE PROCESS. FINALLY USE IT ..ONLY IF IT IS LEGAL IN YOUR COUNTRY

3. GeertBerkers
    Lollipop Jan 25, 2015

yajiv29 likes this.
  4. forgetfartuun
    Jelly Bean Jan 25, 2015

5. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2015

yajiv29 , Jan 26, 2015 :
    Edit function/ where? In the build.prop

6. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2015

7. Ghous Muhammad Khan
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2015

8. lemor
    Jelly Bean Jan 27, 2015

lemor , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Unfortunately this will not work n CM12.
    Xposed doesn't work in Lollipop.

9. Toulouse
    KitKat Jan 27, 2015

yajiv29 likes this.
  10. nitinjs
    Eclair Jan 27, 2015

11. vividlagoon
    Froyo Jan 27, 2015

vividlagoon , Jan 27, 2015 :
    Thanks a million ... it works for me

suraj.agarwal and yajiv29 like this.
  12. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2015

yajiv29 , Jan 28, 2015 :
    Auto record is not available.. U will have to press the record button..this is an advantage, cos u can record only the calls u want...

vividlagoon likes this.
  13. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Jan 28, 2015

yajiv29 , Jan 28, 2015 :
    CM12 - I M NOT SURE COS I M STILL ON CM11.. Once the update rolls out ..we have to check it up

14. yajiv29
    Gingerbread Feb 16, 2015

nitinjs likes this.
  15. kurtsi
    Froyo Mar 7, 2015

kurtsi , Mar 7, 2015 :
    I'm having problems with stopping the record. If I don't stop the recording
    manually at the end of the call, the dialer will continue to record in the background even if no calls are on. Those recording files will become huge with hours long files. If I forget to press the button to stop recording, I have to reboot the phone.
    Is it possible to get the dialer to end the recording when the call ends?

16. 1plus1man
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2015

17. giaur500
    Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2015

giaur500 , Apr 3, 2015 :
    As a matter of facts, built in call recorder is not very handy. Also it's blocked by default and there is some diacussion between devs for what countries it can be enabled without breaking the laws. The plan is to enable it for most countries in Europe, with disclaimer dialog. But nobody knows when they merge it, if ever.

I suggest to use some call recorder from play store.

18. 1plus1man
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2015

1plus1man , Apr 3, 2015 :
    feel bad all

19. d4ngerdan
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2016

d4ngerdan , Jul 16, 2016 :
    Automatic call recorder worked fine for me on cm12. But now updated to cm13.1 it no longer works