Encrypted OnePlus 3

1. tosun97
    Gingerbread Jun 25, 2016

tosun97 , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Hey guys,
    After acquiring my OnePlus 3 I noticed something that I've never had on any of my phones before.
    Encrypting.
    What are the pro's and con's of this "encrypting" and if the negatives are too bad, how do disable it?

Kind regards

Attached Files:

2. harsha1397
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2016

harsha1397 , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Adding to it, there is no option to no disable encryption; is it a bug, or is it done deliberately?

3. Vadomata
    Jelly Bean Jun 25, 2016

Vadomata , Jun 25, 2016 :
    It's a method to block access from the phone if someone doesn't know the password. It encodes every bit and in order to access the phone it has to be cracked and it can take years. Encrypting is only needed when your workplace requires to have it. Encryption will most likely cause the device to slow down as it has to write new data with the algorithm.

To disable encryption on phones, you'll need to perform a complete factory reset. This means heading to Settings>Backup & reset and tapping the Factory data reset option at the bottom of this menu. The phone will perform a complete reset, your personal data will be blown away, but when everything is done your device will no longer be encrypted.

Was the phone encrypted straight from the factory? o_O

cmitchellshaw likes this.
  4. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jun 25, 2016

Alvie , Jun 25, 2016 :
    The OnePlus 3 is encrypted by default, to unencrypt it you need to use fastboot and use the command:

Code:
    fastboot format userdata
    This will wipe all files and data though

cmitchellshaw, S0bek, Ayuvelo and 2 others like this.
  5. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Jun 25, 2016

Deepak.Si , Jun 25, 2016 :
    I searched this ↑ in Yahoo
    and found this ↓

Ayuvelo likes this.
  6. kenotic
    Cupcake Jun 26, 2016

kenotic , Jun 26, 2016 :
    I think I am going to have to do this to get it past compliance checks on my companies MDM.

7. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Jun 26, 2016

8. G_Brad_Howlett_PJjW
    Froyo Jun 26, 2016

G_Brad_Howlett_PJjW , Jun 26, 2016 :
    Storage speeds are still among the fastest on Androbench 400+MB/s reads and 150+MB/s writes with encryption enabled. With 64bit these speed issues aren't much of a thing anymore, this is the fastest phone I've used even restoring apps from another phone with stuff in the background and everything it blows away fresh S7's and iPhones I handle at work.

lostLambda likes this.
  9. Ayuvelo
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2016

Ayuvelo , Aug 3, 2016 :
    Thanks!! It caused me so much trouble that the phone is encrypted. I couldn't install OTA's and when trying to install Custom ROMs all i get was a "Decryption unsuccesful". Now it seems that everything works normal again.

a.rahim and Alvie like this.
  10. sommersy
    KitKat Aug 8, 2016

sommersy , Aug 8, 2016 :
    hm. how is encryption affected if you want to either (a) reset the phone to use a different google account or (b) switch to a different account without a factory reset? :confused:

11. barneymac
    Gingerbread Aug 8, 2016

barneymac , Aug 8, 2016 :
    My phone is encrypted due to my works Outlook account. The email client will not allow the account to activate on the phone until its encrypted (both Gmail and Outlook apps.) To be honest I do not notice any slow down in performance at all. I don't know if this encrypts the whole phone or just that app and related data.

I'd much prefer to have my data safe than sorry...

kpoyser, cmitchellshaw and lostLambda like this.
  12. Hitesh Sood
    Donut Aug 15, 2016

Hitesh Sood , Aug 15, 2016 :
    I am not sure my phone was encrypted with factory setting or not , but after configuring my work account i am not getting ota updates . It says device updated already while on 3.2.1 :(
    Tried Factory reset from recovery mode still encrypted

13. Kraitt
    Eclair Aug 15, 2016

Kraitt , Aug 15, 2016 :
    Encryption is on by default ever since MM launch. Its not an OP3 "issue" or "problem".

Please, do a proper research before posting useless and spam threads.

14. sfomin
    Nougat Aug 15, 2016

sfomin , Aug 15, 2016 :
    maybe you should read his post more carefully next time before posting your useless and spam comment[​IMG]

15. redfo1
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2016

redfo1 , Aug 15, 2016 :
    I like encryption and enabled it on my OPX, but since that encryption is protected only via the phone's PIN, it's pretty BS at the moment. We horribly need a way to set a long base password, for use when the phone is booted or when a wrong PIN is typed once or twice.

16. Hitesh Sood
    Donut Aug 15, 2016

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016

17. Hitesh Sood
    Donut Aug 15, 2016

Hitesh Sood , Aug 15, 2016 :
    Nobody asked for your idiot comments, if you don't like to help hater

18. a.rahim
    Gingerbread Aug 20, 2016

a.rahim , Aug 20, 2016 :
    Did your phone get decrypted after this command?
    I also want to decrypt it(I don't need encryption :D )

19. Henji
    Cupcake Aug 27, 2016

Henji , Aug 27, 2016 :
    Well shit. I wanted to install the latest Oxy, but accidentally reset to factory in the process. While trying to install twrp to access my nandroid backup, i obviously had to encrypt the phone again. I wrote the same code that i used to use, installed twrp and restored my backup.
    Now my backup won't accept the decryption code even though it's the same. Now i have to install everything on it again -.-

20. S0bek
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 3, 2016

S0bek , Sep 3, 2016 :
    It worked for me, thanks for the commands. I will now setup MultiROM asap...