End of Android 11 Open Beta release cycle for OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro : OxygenOS 11 Open Beta 12

1. Abdul B.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Jul 27, 2021

Abdul B. , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Edit: For those that were using Android 11 Open Beta 12, please provide your feedback through this survey

Dear friends,

Thanks to everyone for participating in our OBT program, you have shared a lot of valuable feedback and suggestions with us over the last year. It's fair to say we always love hearing what you have to say about OxygenOS and it’s not an overstatement to say that your help allows us to ensure quality stable builds and cool new features for the rest of the community.

Since the Android 11 builds for the OnePlus 8 series are now more and more stable, thanks to our stronger R&D resources that can better test and adjust these builds to meet our standards, the current OBT will be the last one for the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro on Android 11. The stable versions for the OnePlus 8/8 Pro will continue to be released according to the current maintenance schedule with the latest system optimizations and feature updates.

Here are the final Open Beta builds based on Android 11 for the OnePlus 8/8 Pro.

Please bear in mind that this is beta software and, as such, may be less stable than stable MP builds. If you are installing this build, we highly recommend you make a full system backup before proceeding. We also recommend you read all the instructions and notes before proceeding.

Changelog
    • System
      • Improved system stability
      • Fixed the issue that the face unlock failed in the QR scanning on WhatsApp
      • Upgrade Android Security Patch to 2021.07
    • Work-life balance
      • Now work Wi-Fi can support added to life Wi-Fi
      • Fixed the issue of failure to modify life and work mode
    • OnePlus Store
      • An intuitive and convenient way to manage your OnePlus account, get easy-to-access support, discover exciting members-only benefits, and shop for OnePlus products. (Please note that it can be uninstalled)
    In order to ensure that you have a smooth transition back to stable software, we're releasing a special rollback build that will install the stable version of OxygenOS on your phone. After experiencing the newest OBT version, you can back up and roll back your device to the stable version, according to the instructions below. This will return your device to the 11.0.7.7 stable build.

Instructions to flash the rollback builds:
    Note:
    • Installing the rollback build will wipe the data, please back up the important data before installing
    • The rollback build should be installed twice, to ensure stability. (please save the downloaded copy of the rollback build to avoid multiple downloads)
    Installation process:
    1. Download the rollback zip package from the above link
    2. Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> Upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
    5. Update successful.
    Please keep in mind that this is beta software. These builds are sometimes not as stable as our official OTAs generally are. By installing this update, you accept the potential risks. For those who were on previous versions of OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro, we appreciate your active feedback and for reaching out to us. With your help, we have been able to better optimize and improve several key areas. Thank you for your patience and as always, we look forward to getting your continued feedback via the Community app.
    [​IMG]

If you don't have the Community app installed on your device, feel free to download it HERE. You can check here for more information on the integrated Feedback tool.

Please note:
    • If you are not running open beta software and would like to, please refer to the flashing instructions and the full ROM on the downloads page here.
    • Moving back to the Official OTA path from the Beta path will require a full install and clean flash (full wipe of all data and cache).
    If you have any issues during the process, please share your feedback in the Community. Thank you for your continued support and together we will continue to work on making OxygenOS better than ever.

Never Settle.

2. Abdul B.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Aug 17, 2021

Stickied Post
    Abdul B. , Aug 17, 2021 :
    The EU rollback package for Oneplus 8 and Oneplus 8 Pro has been updated

Thanks

3. Balaji2828
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2021

4. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 27, 2021

Dresa91 , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Thank you @Abdul B. :) hopefully A12 will come soon after the official launch with the new R&D:)

5. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jul 27, 2021

Does!Compute , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Do you really think that would be the case? ;)

6. D.Sai Suhail Baba
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2021

7. VIVEK.KR
    Eclair Jul 27, 2021

8. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Yes ;)
    Never lose the hope ;)
    Always stay positive;)

9. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jul 27, 2021

Well, when it comes to OnePlus, I'm more of a "If you get an update, great. Else, it was expected" kind of guy ;)

10. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Haha :D ;)

11. Balaji2828
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2021

12. VIVEK.KR
    Eclair Jul 27, 2021

13. AnonymousWP
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Jul 27, 2021

AnonymousWP , Jul 27, 2021 :
    More like unrealistic and naive. How do you want to stay positive if OnePlus kills Open Beta programs faster than ever?

14. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 27, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Frees up developers to work on A12 its simple logic. New version to be released soon. Pull away from a beta where stable already functions and no new features would be added or tested in what will be soon a redundant A11.

Put the energy into creating OOS 12 stands to reason. 👍

15. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Do know me?
    Think not- so please don’t call me naive, yeah? Thanks!

Because of new merged R&D, new platform for A12, etc.
    Beta program was based on the old „system“.
    So, that’s why I say stay positive: synergies.

but for you it is easier calling others naive

16. AnonymousWP

They better keep the Open Beta for OxygenOS 12 then. They already have more developers thanks to the codebase merge, so if they'd quit already, it'd be a stab in the back considering people paid a lot of money to get frequent Open Beta updates. Even when OnePlus had way less developers (and phones, though), they could maintain the Open Beta program for their phones just fine.

17. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jul 27, 2021

I agree on that, but even so, older devices directly shifted from Beta on one Android version to the next. So us Beta testers will have to just go from A11 Beta to A11 Stable to A12 Beta. A couple of clean starts needed instead of just 1 that I usually do when I move to the next Android version

18. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Maybe they do:
    Call me naive again: but maybe they start a fresh Open Beta for Android 12.
    Who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

19. AnonymousWP

They don't explicitly mention that there'll be an Open Beta based on Android 12, so I wouldn't count on it. At least you can't get disappointed by not expecting much. Expecting the best (you being extremely positive for no obvious reason, as OnePlus made a lot of mistakes recently regarding updates and software support), can only disappoint.

20. Corneto
    Froyo Jul 27, 2021

Corneto , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 27, 2021 :
    Well if I knew the beta line was ending at OB 12, I wouldn't have jumped into it on OB 11 lol.
    Irrespective of that,OB 11 really gave me better battery and lesser heating issues compared to the stable version surprisingly. Sadly OB12 just reversed that that battery performance has become poor again, to the extent that barely typing this thread I lost 2%. Plus heating issues are back with bare casual usage.
    I would have asked if this is the same case with others also, but seeing that the beta line is ending, it makes no sense anymore. I know for a fact that stable will still suck as much, so if it's possible could the Devs incorporate the changes made in OB11 into the stable one? Not the OB12 please, I have found no good pointers for this final beta build.

21. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 27, 2021 :
    I am a positive person in general ;)